Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The $##^ has hit the fan....need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The $##^ has hit the fan....need advice...

ok. so here's what happens...it's the story blow by blow....literally....

So i'm driving back from GA to FL. i am on Hwy 75 doing 80mph. I am exactly 182 Miles from home and my car hard stalls. HARD...

So i coast over to the right side of the road. I notice my oil light and battery light are on.

Step one. Pop the hood, take a look, everything looks normal.
Step two. Check the oil. There's oil
Step three. look at belts.....fine
Step four tried to start car (after looking at heat guage) car starts a lil rough, then actually TURNS OVER but after 5 or so hard ticks dies. Never makes it to like 1k rpm.
Step five...call a towtruck.

I had it towed into town....and dropped off at the first garage closest to me. (a tire and repair garage). Next day at 8am I get a call from troy saying "your car has a hard tick, i tried to start it and it turns over but has a hard tick. I cant repair that but i know a guy who can". The guy's a nice black guy who lives 3 blocks behind troy's place. He runs his shop out of his own garage. Troy said "he probobally cant get to it for a week but he's damn good and damn reasonable" so i said ok. I called the guy, he said he'd go over and take a look at it.

45 mins later this is what I get.

*ring ring*

Me: "hello?"

Him: "hey Mr. Hunnings, it's Roy, listen, I went over and took a look at your car. Your oil screen got clogged up and you threw a rod (or something like that, he wasnt very specific) and your probobally gonna need to replace your entire engine.....

Me: "im sorry...clogged oil screen? I just changed my oil. I've changed it every 3k miles"

Him: "did you do it yourself? cause if you took it to walmart or jiffy lube they use recycled oil and it'll clog up your scren, then you get no oil to the car. YOu have no oil pressure at all now"

Me: "wow...and what's that cost to fix?"

Him: "well, you can find a new or used engine, and i'll replace it, and it's the cost of the engine plus $850 in maitinance"

I had him tow the car to his lot. He never said anything about a lot fee so I guess Im ok there. He said he'd hang on to it till I decided then we'd figure it out.

Question....am i screwed here? Should I have him replace the ENTIRE engine? I think that's just sounding crazy man....

~Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you threw a rod you're engine isnt going to be coming back.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM

So thrown rod = entire engine replacement?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what motor is it?? off what car??? bascially get a new motor bro...find a good b-series motor...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: (HondaHemi)

what kind of motor d15 ? if so, replace it. those things are a dime a dozen
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM

stats. 1996 Honda Civic Ex

V-Tec engine. 130k miles.

For the record.....Im fixing it then selling it. So the cheapest way out possible....literally....

unless you think i should keep it....
Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ticket2ride21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ticket2ride21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So thrown rod = entire engine replacement?</TD></TR></TABLE>Depending on what the piston hit in the head you may be able to get away with a new block + internals. I guess now's the time for an upgrade haha
Old 03-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that's the worst blow...like if it's the rings, at least you can replace them, or the head gasket, you can replace it, but if u throw a rod, uc an't, u need a new block usually and definately new piston(s)
Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: (imm0rt41)

$850 is a rip to install a damn honda motor, its like a 5 hour job if you take your sweet time. Go to the HT marketplace, post a WTB ad and get yourself an LS mtor or a D-series if youre short on cash and find someone to put it in- preferably not a shop cause you will probably get ripped off and have to wait. If your cars still in GA rent a U-haul trailer and tow it back yourself. **** I sold my D series swap for $250 with only 35K miles on it. Dont go for the first thing you find, wait and you will find a better deal. Take off the oil pan and check and see if you really thre a rod too, you might have just broke the oil pump.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 PM

So basically Im shopping for what?

What engines will not so costly "go in my car"? That way i know what I can look for.

p.S. THANK YOU for your help guys. i serously appreciate it...

~Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: (Ticket2ride21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$Take off the oil pan and check and see if you really thre a rod too, you might have just broke the oil pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imm0rt41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depending on what the piston hit in the head you may be able to get away with a new block + internals. I guess now's the time for an upgrade haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with this guy... go down to the shop and check it out to make sure he's not pulling one on ya first.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

hes pulling one on ya!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM

take your car to a real mechanic not some dude workin outta his garage. my friend had one of those home made mechanics do his swap. guess what the stick that holds up the hood was INSIDE one of the loops on the belt.

you're really stupid for believing them also. any real mechanic will tell you exactly what is wrong. and what is a trick start and oil screen? WTF.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The $##^ has hit the fan....need advice... (Ticket2ride21)

loud tick its a rod knock. tear it down and see if the crank was damaged and if not change the rod bearings and put it back together