Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"smog question" for you californians

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "smog question" for you californians

When going to get a smog at a normal smog testing center which vin numbers do they check when looking at the car for visual inspection?
What are the different procedures taken by a "test only" smog center when visually inspecting the car? Do they check the vin in the door, or other ones besides the one on the dash board loacted in the drivers side corner?
If sombody can help me out with a shop that can pass either of my two vehicles I'll kick you down a buck or two. I got a b16 integra that needs to go to a "test only" and a 92 hbsi that needs a normal smog. thanks for reading this
Old 08-10-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: "smog question" for you californians (HybridIntegra)

are you talking about going to a smog ref, if you do and worried you wont pass or have a hot motor in you ride then I am pretty sure you can just pay the fine and not have to go to the ref. so I have been told by friends. there are always ways around smogging your car you just need to know the right people
Old 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM

Old 08-10-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: "smog question" for you californians (99cxrico)

nah, i can't register my car and get new tags unless I smog my integra through a "test only" station, not a ref. The test only station just solely tests cars and does not futz with them to get them to try and pass, they just fail you and tell u to come back again when ur problem is fixed. I need sombody to "pass" my car who works at a test only center.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 PM

arent test only stations really tuff to get "hookups"? i thought they are really closely monitored by the govt... to prevent this kinda stuff... anyway.. just buy the $200 magic gas cap from them.. and maybe you'll pass
Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a B16 integra it will fail once the tech opens the hood, Unless its a GSR, since they prob have done alot of honda's they will notice the DOHC VTEC on the valve cover, As far as the VIN goes depends on location, some go by door jam some by dash.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the integ, you're pretty screwed. almost any test only guy will know that you have a swap in your car (vtec was 1st available in 92). he's gonna send you straight to the ref. you can't pass the ref inspection unless you convert to you car to obd1 as there were never obd0 b16's in the US.

as for your civic, give it a tune up and put on the stock airbox. it should pass a regular smog check w/o any probs if its in good running condition
Old 08-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

Just Move I did !
Old 08-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95sihb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95sihb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just Move I did !</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea in hawaii there is no SMOG checks

just that stupid yearly inspection which is gay
Old 08-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

yeah and in maui it's even more laid-back not like Oahu @ all
Old 08-12-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: (95sihb)

yah it pretty much sucks, I was going to sell it to my brother back in Minnesota but im not tryin to charge him hella money for it cuz hes just gonna resell it. Im pissed off about that stupid "test only" ****!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (HybridIntegra)

look for one of those hole in the wall places...they rarely know any better. they will just look at your vin on the dash and hook up the diagnostics and see what your spitting out. if its a jdm motor, its hard to say if their equipment will read your ecu, because they couldn't with mine. but if you have a usdm swap it should pass easily with one of those places.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bizr_ej6)

test only does the same procedure as regular ones, my friends uncle owns one...its just monitered and has emmisions guys fake come in as regular customers and rate teh place and also you can do bar there...and they only check teh vin on teh dash i think? im not sure on that one...but if you b16 is usdm you might ahve a chance
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 AM

Default Re: (meccA's eg6)

does anybody in here know of a 'test only" smog spot in the state of california, I WILL DRIVE ANYWHERE TO GET THIS DONE AS LONG AS IT IS GUARANTEED. and I will kick down some bucks to whoever helps me get this ****** thing smogged. Hit me up!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (meccA's eg6)

IF anybody at all can get me a smog at a "test only" station somwhere in the state of california I will kick them down $100 or more if its cheaper than expected and it works out. I don't care where in california it is I WILL DRIVE THERE! just hit me up and let me know. I need this bad. Thanks for reading my post, and for all the helpful knowledge
Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 AM

This is really not the place to post stuff like that. I understand you need it bad, but be careful what you post on a public forum, it can come back to bite you in the *** later.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (HybridIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anybody in here know of a 'test only" smog spot in the state of california, I WILL DRIVE ANYWHERE TO GET THIS DONE AS LONG AS IT IS GUARANTEED. and I will kick down some bucks to whoever helps me get this ****** thing smogged. Hit me up! </TD></TR></TABLE>

People read these boards you know? I don't think its smart to basically announce you are seeking an "illegal smog" to get you by for the time and that you are willing to pay someone off.

Here is the point. The test only station will look more closely at your car then a "hole in the wall" shop. THAT is the reason why you are being asked to take your car there. You have a B16 in a 1990 Integra which was never offered with a DOHC Vtec engine. Plain and simple, your fucked. If you had a 1992 or 1993 Integra 3 door, then you MIGHT have a chance then. The fact still remains your screwed. No "hookup" is going to help you at this point. Either take the car to a ref, or yank the engine. Its not that hard to get those engines to pass the ref inspection. If you want help, bring it to my shop. We specialize in doing legal "reffable" swaps. Call me, 530-305-2864.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:53 AM

i can get it done for you...if you want to post your number its the more legal way to go but it is a guarantee if you want to post your number i'm in so cal
Old 08-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

The thing is, thats the most retarted, useless bullshit I have ever heard. Who gives a **** if it has a different engine? I think that no matter what, as long as they can see how much fumes your spitting out of your exaust, it shouldn't matter what engine it has in it.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ajax)

For Example, If i were to ref my h22 del sol, my del sol would no longer be a civic del sol, it would be classified as a 4g prelude.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (delLudeVTEC)

you can put a h22 in a del sol and it will pass at the ref? i don't think so but im not sure. i've never seen a smog legal h22 del sol before
Old 08-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The thing is, thats the most retarted, useless bullshit I have ever heard. Who gives a **** if it has a different engine? I think that no matter what, as long as they can see how much fumes your spitting out of your exaust, it shouldn't matter what engine it has in it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you're telling me I have no clue what I am talking about then and that I am full of "retarded bullshit"? Go find out the facts for yourself then.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

No, I was saying I think thats the way it &gt;should&lt; be. I know how it is... but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> No, I was saying I think thats the way it &gt;should&lt; be. I know how it is... but it just doesn't make sense to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I agree with you, but unfortunately we cannot change the law. Just live with it.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> No, I was saying I think thats the way it &gt;should&lt; be. I know how it is... but it just doesn't make sense to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I take it you havent been to cali and smelled the air

Quick Reply: "smog question" for you californians