Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"power shifting" 97 civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "power shifting" 97 civic

today, while showing my friend that because of the syncros you don't need to use the clutch to shift(i told him only at low rpms, and only when you let off the gas), he decided to do this so called "power shifting".

He hits it in third and doesn't let off the gas and slams it into 4th, it never goes in just grinds. when he goes back to downshift he can't put it in 3rd gear without a lot of force. Taking it out takes force too.

I am wondering what on earth he could of done to his tranny. could anyone help?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Grinded the **** out of it?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to say, but he has f**ked his syncros. power shifting isnt just something you should do, if you dont know what youre doing.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (peacexisxfree)

His a smart one.

I had a customer bring me his tranny to be swapped. When i finished with this car i desided to take appart his tranny. I **** you not 3 gears were smooth with no teeth. That ****** grinded so many times or so often that he broke all the teeth off. It was beyond FUBAR. Just an idea of what your friend is doing. Tell him to use the clutch.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

but third gear never grinded, just 4th. now it doesn't go into third 4th is still fine. 3rd is just hard to put in and hard to pull out. what do you think he did to third
Old 09-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">today, while showing my friend that because of the syncros you don't need to use the clutch to shift(i told him only at low rpms, and only when you let off the gas), he decided to do this so called "power shifting".

He hits it in third and doesn't let off the gas and slams it into 4th, it never goes in just grinds. when he goes back to downshift he can't put it in 3rd gear without a lot of force. Taking it out takes force too.

I am wondering what on earth he could of done to his tranny. could anyone help?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought you use the clutch, you just never let off the gas. Yeah not using the clutch sounds like the most stupid thing i've ever heard of
Old 09-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Electrician

Isn't power shifting when you keep it on WOT and use the clutch when you shift?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (fwdtamiya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I thought you use the clutch, you just never let off the gas. Yeah not using the clutch sounds like the most stupid thing i've ever heard of </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep!!
Funny what some guys will do sometimes
Old 09-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (RedEK9)

hate to brake it to you guys, but i know what he did was stupid...i am trying to figure out what damage he did to the gear when he pulled it out of 3rd while applying the gas.....

did some linkage get bent, or what.....

if your just gonna say, "wow that was dumb" it has been said so move on.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Trial User

he probably just spun out the syncros...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (ROK801)

just from pulling it out of gear while holding on the gas?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will slide into gear at around 2.5k rpms without the clutch... this old dude i know said that's when the synchros are in line and you can just shift without the clutch, i do it sometimes, but i know ppl that just grind it in.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Trial User

and not using the clutch?

if hes on the gas, the trans is still spinning. which would make everything inside including all the little teeth move. if hes ripping it out of gear w/o the clutch and jamming it in gear its going to break off all those teeth and they are going to be inside the trans loose and will ruin anything they hit...

the whole reason for the clutch and letting off the gas is to get the trans to stop spinning all the little things inside. those little things break pretty easily if you abuse them...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Trial User

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (drewthomas14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drewthomas14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will slide into gear at around 2.5k rpms without the clutch... this old dude i know said that's when the synchros are in line and you can just shift without the clutch, i do it sometimes, but i know ppl that just grind it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

was he a trucker?
hahahaha.
you can let your engine drop to a low enough rpm to shift it into gear.
but you still have to let off the gas.
semi's have to shift like this after first gear...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "power shifting" 97 civic (ROK801)

i dont get why people powershift.....wheres the gain? Nowhere, maybe in drag racing, u'd gain a few miliseconds, but u'll spend hours replacing the tranny....stupid move = stupid results.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">today, while showing my friend that because of the syncros you don't need to use the clutch to shift</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-25-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: (SiRhatchalot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRhatchalot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
....</TD></TR></TABLE>

why, what does that give to help me...... stupid ****..... try it, you don't need to use the clutch, when you let off the gas it pops out and put it in, dont force and don't do at high rpms, but it works

Old 09-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civiccpedx)

actually the same thing happened to me when i was dicking around. It was like I almost had to use both hands to pull it into gear. After I did that a couple times it went back to normal. I know this didnt help but thats my story
Old 09-25-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (doublejz)

well it helped better than anyone else so far.... thanks, maybe his will do the same
Old 09-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, I think he may have messed up one of the forks, and well a bunch of other things...pull the tranny and fix whatever is out of spec. Put it back on and never speak of it again....

Seriously, if it's having trouble going into gear, you most likely bent or misaligned something inside the tranny. It's pretty hard to **** up a linkage shifting, esp shifting straight back.

As for power shifting, you do use the clutch. Just keep the car at WOT.

What you are doing, or at least trying to do is rev match. That was done, well when the model T came out and synchros really didn't exist on tranny's, and you had to double clutch. So, you pushed the clutch in, put the car in neutral, then let the clutch out, pushed it back in, match the revs of the motor to how fast your going. Put it into gear, then let go of the clutch again. That is how you used to change gears.

Now you can do that without pushing the clutch, but you still have to match the revolutions. You really have to know your car to do this. Telling your friend what you did, well wasn't a good idea. Because now he kinda fucked his tranny up...honestly, what where you thinking, and who defined synchros to you? Because, well....your definition is soooo off, it really reduces the credibility of your intellect.

Synchros, well they allow the user to slip the clutch and the transmission will match the engine revolutions. Sorry, but you STILL have to use the clutch.

What you (or at least your friend) wanted to do was pretend you had dog gears, gears that are machined to such a precise amount, that you can ram the living **** out your tranny at WOT. I think the cheap kits go for around 8grand.