Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread

First off, I am a total noob (at least I am working on 'go before show'). However, I have documentation (Haynes Repair Manual) and have read about this install (from here and other sites) before I started.

Situation: I have a 95 Del Sol S. I am installing Koni Yellows (per H-T recommendation) and Neuspeed Sport Springs. I purchased the car used and it was already lowered with *gasp* APC adjustable springs on stock struts. I purchased a second set of jack stands (again, per H-T recommendation) and have all four wheels off the car. The front struts are removed.

Questions:
1. From the looks of the setup, I do not have a Camber Kit installed. However, with the APC/Stock setup, it looks like the camber is in spec. Upon removal, the Steering Knuckle (#5 on chart 1.1 on 10-3 in Haynes) has a set of what looks like brass collers installed on the "under" side of where the Steering Knuckle bolts to the chassie. Both of the front collers are slightly crushed. Is this a "rigged" camber kit? If so, what are my alternatives to do this right (within one day and locally)?

2. All 4 stock struts are missing the dust covers. How important are dust covers for my Koni's and should I go purchase a set? Anyone know the price???

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Edit: Question 1 - (within one day and locally).

[Modified by mace232, 3:19 AM 10/12/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 06:24 PM

Default Re: The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread (mace232)

1. From the looks of the setup, I do not have a Camber Kit installed. However, with the APC/Stock setup, it looks like the camber is in spec. Upon removal, the Steering Knuckle (#5 on chart 1.1 on 10-3 in Haynes) has a set of what looks like brass collers installed on the "under" side of where the Steering Knuckle bolts to the chassie. Both of the front collers are slightly crushed. Is this a "rigged" camber kit? If so, what are my alternatives to do this right (within one day and locally)?
The steering knuckle doesn't bolt to the chassis. It bolts to the upper control arm, the lower control arm, and to the tie rod. I think we need a picture to understand what you mean.

2. All 4 stock struts are missing the dust covers. How important are dust covers for my Koni's and should I go purchase a set? Anyone know the price???
The protective sleeves on the strut body is what I think you mean (under the car of course). I do not know if you can get these or what price. I'll bet if you bought some junked shocks from the junkyard, you could almost get them for free.

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 3:24 AM 10/12/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 06:35 PM

Default Re: The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread (shawnhayes)

Thanks for reply Shawn.

#1 Looking the the Haynes manual, you are correct. I am talking about 2 brass collers on the bolt that attaches the upper control arm to the chassis.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:16 PM

Default Re: The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread (mace232)

Here is a pict of what I am talking about:

http://www.xwer.com/car/BRASSC2.jpg
Old 10-11-2002, 09:45 PM

You are in luck, i just installed a set of those on my friends accord.

I am willing to bet that that is an ingalls front camber kit made for hondas. The brass ring is only supposed to be used for accords, for civics/del sol/integra, the ring is supposed to be removed, that might be why they are crushed. Just remove the ring and reinstall them. Also, why did you remove that? you don't need to if you are doing a shock/spring install.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: The "Help Thomas with his first Strut/Spring Install" Thread (SilverCivic2k)

You are in luck, i just installed a set of those on my friends accord.

I am willing to bet that that is an ingalls front camber kit made for hondas. The brass ring is only supposed to be used for accords, for civics/del sol/integra, the ring is supposed to be removed, that might be why they are crushed. Just remove the ring and reinstall them. Also, why did you remove that? you don't need to if you are doing a shock/spring install.
He's right on target mace232. You need not remove this component for your civic, and the brass rings need to be removed.

Get the dust covers from a junked shock. Good luck.

Shawn