Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (56k unfriendly)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (56k unfriendly)

For more info, check out the following thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485

I passed by Benen Industries earlier this week to have my OEM spring perches extended.

1" spacer added.

Fortunately, no hood clearance issues at all.

Travel with unmodified caps and suspension compressed. Bumpstop is cut.

Travel with modified caps and suspension compressed. Same cut bumpstop is turned around.

Original rear at full droop.

Modified rear at full droop.

Modified rear compressed.

I just installed them late last night by myself (3am -7am!) so I needed this to stay awake!

Initial impressions:
I haven't driven with them in a lot or autocrossed on them yet so I really can't say much but so far I'm sure they've helped. My car is usually set up with a relatively high ride height (I have a Ground Control sleeve setup and Tokico HP shocks and I keep the car high enough so that both upper and lower perches touch) but I recently lowered it a bit for an up-coming local meet. The lower ride height didn't make the ride especially uncomfortable but I could tell that the front shocks would bottom out on some bumps. It is also possible that the bumpstops made contact on hard turns. I should have measured it but from the looks of it, I only had about 1" of travel before contact with the bumpstop was made. The rear had a good amount more travel but I didn't think it would hurt to have those done as well.

After they were installed, the "squishiness" (for lack of a better word) of my normally higher setup returned and the jarring from larger bumps was pretty much eliminated.

One concern that I've seen is whether or not this modification is legal for certain classes (like SCCA autocross class STS). Others may be able to shed more light on that subject though since there are a good number of posts about this on HT.

But as far as this mod goes, in my opinion it gets a .
And to Ken and Alex for posting the info and doing the job for the equipment lacking, little folk like me.

Modified by agent87 at 12:50 AM 4/19/2003

Modified by agent87 at 12:52 AM 4/19/2003
Old 04-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (agent87)

looks good! yea ken and alex are cool folks, they always try to help others out.
hmm, i wonder if this stuff really works? going to class each morning at 8am is a bitch...

Old 04-18-2003, 02:33 AM

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (iriemark)

Could you just send yours in,or is it some local type thing.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (agent87)

Wow you guys are pros now
Old 04-18-2003, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (sshaikh01)

so you just modified the tops then? and didn't do anything to the buttom 1/2???

that sounds more like what i might try...good pics! let us know how it rides when you get a better chance to take the car out!

PauL
Old 04-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (TinyCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iriemark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good! yea ken and alex are cool folks, they always try to help others out.
hmm, i wonder if this stuff really works? going to class each morning at 8am is a bitch... </TD></TR></TABLE>
I know how you feel... It seems to work well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TinyCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could you just send yours in,or is it some local type thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm assuming you could but it'd probably be best to contact them about it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TinyCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you just modified the tops then? and didn't do anything to the buttom 1/2???

that sounds more like what i might try...good pics! let us know how it rides when you get a better chance to take the car out!

PauL</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I just modified the tops and left the bottom brakeline holder/fork bracket alone. It seems like it's enough for my needs.

Thanks, and definitely.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool I wanted to hear some feed back! Damn I wanted to see the pics!!!

"Daily Bandwidth Limit Reached

The site you have attempted to access is not available at this time.

This member's Web site has exceeded its maximum bandwidth limit for the day. The bandwidth limit will be reset on a daily basis.

This account is still active. High traffic sites with numerous file downloads a day could run the risk of exceeding this limit. The owner may increase their daily bandwidth limits by logging in to their account.

Please try to download this file at a later date. "

upload to we-todd-did-racing.com
-Alex
Old 04-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (2kTypeRHatch)

Thanks for the tip. Uploaded and changed the links.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice!
Old 04-19-2003, 08:20 AM

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (2kTypeRHatch)

wow I never thought of that what are the messurments on the length of the extention. I might try doing something like that myself.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:43 AM

w3rd
Old 04-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (b16matt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kTypeRHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks again!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16matt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow I never thought of that what are the messurments on the length of the extention. I might try doing something like that myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>
They used a 1" extension and it seems to work perfectly fine on my car. Good luck with the project if you decide to do it.

b20bastard - I see you know a lot about the Go Fast drink.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (b20bastard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20bastard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">w3rd
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha I see they MADE it all the way back to AZ!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ken, Dom and Alex are good people I was there too on friday to drop off my upper perches. I snapped my header to cat bolts and Ken fixxed it for me.

Go Fast is good.

Hey Alex, see you friday.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Why the green though?

Just curious.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (B18C5-EH2)

How much do they charge for doing that? Anyone know how much the GC ones give in travel? http://www.ground-control.com/gchoncatnew.htm
Old 04-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (Eggman)

benen charges $10 per corner. the GC ones give you about 3/4 inch more travel I believe. for the rears you can go a little more actually because the hood isn't in the way like the fronts.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (iriemark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iriemark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

They should call this stuff "**** fast", because that's all it really does.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (Eggman)

I am gonna order the ground control ones when I get the chance to.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (superflea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superflea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am gonna order the ground control ones when I get the chance to.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm gonna buy a house when I get a chance to.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (B18C5-EH2)

Haha, it wasn't actually my choice. I believe Alex was the one who did the painting.

I don't mind the color at all though.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Extended Shock Travel" upper perches installed and initial impressions (BCRUZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BCRUZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm gonna buy a house when I get a chance to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you won't regret it, best debt I put myself into. but having your own garage makes up for it....