Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"draining" R134 air conditioning stuff

Old 12-16-2003, 06:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "draining" R134 air conditioning stuff

whats a good way to get all the R134 out of a air conditioning system? i guess its illegal for you to just let that ish fly into the air or whatever,...when i removed both my ACs in both of my cars,...i just let it spew out
Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "draining" R134 air conditioning stuff (WiDeBoDyEK)

I need to vent mine soon too. I don't know how you are "supossed" to do it, but I know you can release it through the ***** infront of the header under the hood.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:03 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: "draining" R134 air conditioning stuff (WiDeBoDyEK)

Every shop I've ever worked at just removes one of the AC lines and lets it vent into the atmosphere..... The EPA is scared that the Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (CFC's) contained in your AC system will make the hole in the ozone bigger, that's why they switched from R12 to HFC134, but scientists later discovered that global warming is bullshit and the hole in the ozone layer was already there before humans got here.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: "draining" R134 air conditioning stuff (slomofo)

i drained mine... just hold your breath... that **** stinks to all hell.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:13 PM

HFC134 isn't hazardous. My airsoft pistol uses it (in the same kind of way that a paintball gun uses CO2). Edit: It smells like butane.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:56 PM
New User

sounds good to me guys,..thats how i always do it,..i just take a screwdriver to the bleeder valve look away,...and then when its spewing,..i walk across the street and chill until its all cleared out lol,..i did get a whiff one time and damn that **** gave me a headache like no other
Old 12-16-2003, 07:57 PM

Heh I have 3 cans of it not even 5 feet from me.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TorganFM)

i dunno... just in-case, dont breathe any of it in... we pulled it out by accident on this one swap, freaked out and left the garage for about 20minutes... i'd just go take a break or something, do it outside too

...not sure if its illegal tho...
Old 12-16-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

It's not a cfc, so it isn't illegal to release. HCFC22 is what airsofters use in other countries. It is, however, illegal to use in the USA so we use HFC134.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uh yes it is illegal to just dump into the atmosphere. yes a lot of shops used to and still do dump in but that does not mean it is legal. you can go to many shops and have it done the right way (discharge system) i did my car and a few friends of mine at my shop at school where we just discharged it there. takes a few minutes is all. if you have the old refrigerant than it shouldnt cost anything at all cause that stuff is worth like 35 dollars a can 10 OZ i think. anyways thats what i did and think you should do.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (EG TYPE-R)

Ok, whatever. I buy the stuff and I'm 16 without any kind of Freon liscensing or anything. All I do is walk into the military surplus store and pick some up, or order it online.
Scroll all the way down: http://airsoftatlanta.com/ammo.htm
There's a closeup of some
Old 12-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG TYPE-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG TYPE-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh yes it is illegal to just dump into the atmosphere. yes a lot of shops used to and still do dump in but that does not mean it is legal. you can go to many shops and have it done the right way (discharge system) i did my car and a few friends of mine at my shop at school where we just discharged it there. takes a few minutes is all. if you have the old refrigerant than it shouldnt cost anything at all cause that stuff is worth like 35 dollars a can 10 OZ i think. anyways thats what i did and think you should do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh i heard it fetches a fine of either 10,000 or 100,000 if you get caught leaking it... and if you do it in a garage it sticks around the ceiling and a sensor can detect it for a while.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:00 PM

Ok the gun I uses dumps this into the atmosphere and it is totally legal. How it works is you tip the magazine upside down and then transfer the condensed gas (it's a liquid at the point). Then you load the mag into the gun and start popping. The driving force behind the BB and the slide is the R134 or HFC134a
Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, whatever. I buy the stuff and I'm 16 without any kind of Freon liscensing or anything. All I do is walk into the military surplus store and pick some up, or order it online.
Scroll all the way down: </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the "new" stuff. Perfectly legal to purchase.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, whatever. I buy the stuff and I'm 16 without any kind of Freon liscensing or anything. All I do is walk into the military surplus store and pick some up, or order it online.
Scroll all the way down: http://airsoftatlanta.com/ammo.htm
There's a closeup of some </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry. But your an asshat. Anyone can buy that ****. Those are the small cans. Whoopty. You can get those at Kragen. Plan to buy a 50lb cylinder and you WILL need a licesne.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every shop I've ever worked at just removes one of the AC lines and lets it vent into the atmosphere..... The EPA is scared that the Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (CFC's) contained in your AC system will make the hole in the ozone bigger, that's why they switched from R12 to HFC134, but scientists later discovered that global warming is bullshit and the hole in the ozone layer was already there before humans got here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got your **** all mixed up. CFC is what R12 is, R134a is an HCFC. CFC deplete the ozone, HCFCS contribute to global warming but have less of an inpact on the ozone. Thinking this is "bullshit" is not the intelligent thing to do. Too many people here who "think" they have knowledge in a topic educating people falsly. Perhaps you guys should ask someone who actually knows.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:16 PM

The only difference between that bottle of 134 and the big ones is that the small ones for airsoft have silicone in them to keep the seals of the gun nice and moist. You can also go to any autoparts store and get a big can of it and manually fill the mags with silicone. Btw what is Kragen?

edit: That's another thing. Do you think calling me an asshat helps prove your point?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:17 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only difference between that bottle of 134 and the big ones is that the small ones for airsoft have silicone in them to keep the seals of the gun nice and moist. You can also go to any autoparts store and get a big can of it and manually fill the mags with silicone. Btw what is Kragen?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think kragen is like a midwest west coast thing,...its like autozone and **** like that
Old 12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WiDeBoDyEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WiDeBoDyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think kragen is like a midwest west coast thing,...its like autozone and **** like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct. Kragen, Checker, Schucks, same ****.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only difference between that bottle of 134 and the big ones is that the small ones for airsoft have silicone in them to keep the seals of the gun nice and moist. You can also go to any autoparts store and get a big can of it and manually fill the mags with silicone. Btw what is Kragen?

edit: That's another thing. Do you think calling me an asshat helps prove your point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

And that you can't exactly charge an empty system with one bottle of the small ****, or hook it up to any refrigeration service equipment, etc..
Old 12-16-2003, 10:22 PM

It's sold in small cans because it's easier to transport. I know I wouldn't want to carry a 50lb can of explosive gas into the middle of a game.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's sold in small cans because it's easier to transport. I know I wouldn't want to carry a 50lb can of explosive gas into the middle of a game.</TD></TR></TABLE>

R134a is NOT explosive. Where do you guys come up with this ****?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

Maybe the warning labels on the can? "Do not expose or store under direct sunlight or temperatures over 65F" As the saying goes if you want to kill everyone in America just take the warning labels off of everything.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe the warning labels on the can? "Do not expose or store under direct sunlight or temperatures over 65F" As the saying goes if you want to kill everyone in America just take the warning labels off of everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My god. Are you serious? Ever heard of temperature to pressure relationships? This rule holds true for MANY non explosive gases. You heat it, it raises pressure... So can the container burst, YES. That does NOT mean that the gas itself is "explosive". It is NOT.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

A busting can isn't exploding? Plus you have to carry 50lbs around. Or you can just use a small can and by decompressing the smaller volume it should cool itself. What are you trying to prove?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "draining" R134 air conditioning stuff