Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's

Any CDM spec eg's owners have any compatibility problems with USDM ecu's? I'm looking at getting a US spec p72 for my b18c eg swap and i don't want it to run like crap like the last time i put a US ecu in a cdm hatch. My '92 p28 was not compatible with my '92 CDM hatch. It was throwing a code for an ELD or somthing like that i can't remember now. Some resistor pack that CDM civics don't have. car ran like crap.

btw Anyone want to trade a p72 for my p28 (plus $$). Pulled from a '92 US ex sedan with 50 miles on the odo. Never been chipped and it worked perfect (on that car).

d
Old 06-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's (daver)

Never heard of that before (compatiability issues with CDN cars and USDM ECU's (and Vice versa).
Old 06-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's (Apex i ITR)

it was a few years ago so i'm hazy on the definitions, but i even took it to Honda and they said i would need to get the US "resistor pack or whatever (said it is located under the engine bay fuse box?) He even photocopied the page about it from the shop manual and i remember it specifying "US models only"

I've got to figure out if that was a '92 thing only or a p28 thing only (hopefully). It'll be hard to find a CDM p72.

d
Old 06-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any Canadian hatches out there running a USDM p72?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:55 PM

talk to this guy gtssport@yahoo.com

his name is adrian and he is from t.o. and he sells ecus. He is well respected on this board and has over 3000 posts and many satisfied customers. He can help you out i'm sure!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Re: "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's (gribbsEG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gribbsEG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">talk to this guy gtssport@yahoo.com

his name is adrian and he is from t.o. and he sells ecus. He is well respected on this board and has over 3000 posts and many satisfied customers. He can help you out i'm sure! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy is YOUR MAN to ask as far as ECUs, chipping, and anything electronic pretty much...i know of a lot of local guys in Toronto who have dealt with him. Loads of knowledge and great help.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:45 AM
HT Black Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any CDM spec eg's owners have any compatibility problems with USDM ecu's? I'm looking at getting a US spec p72 for my b18c eg swap and i don't want it to run like crap like the last time i put a US ecu in a cdm hatch. My '92 p28 was not compatible with my '92 CDM hatch. It was throwing a code for an ELD or somthing like that i can't remember now. Some resistor pack that CDM civics don't have. car ran like crap. btw Anyone want to trade a p72 for my p28 (plus $$). Pulled from a '92 US ex
sedan with 50 miles on the odo. Never been chipped and it worked perfect (on
that car).d</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure dude, but my USDM GE civic VX was made in Canada... It says so right under the hood ..
Old 06-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's (92 civic VX B18c)

A lot of civics were made in Canada that went everywhere in North America.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys.

as far as ELD (code 20), it should be a non-issue on most canadian cars. It was installed on many but not all cars, ( I have seen only 2 out more then 100 cars which had problems with ELD). if you're getting a code, simply hit up a junkyard and get yourself a Si fuse box (engine bay side), this will fix your problem, 99% of the time.

as far as USDM GSR and Canadian GSR ecu (p72); 94 versions were mostly USDM versions sold up here while the 95 had the C00 or C01 denotation on the barcode, will it make a difference in this case, no as Integras did have ELD.

if you're worried you can always get a JDM ECU which ususally does not look for ELD.

on the case of 92-3 vs 94-5 ecus there was a slight difference in the ignition output and for some reason while is chipped it can throw code 15 (extremely rare) but it happens.

btw. I have a USDM, Can and JDM P72 instock
Old 06-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Canadian" civics with USDM ecu's (eg6ajk)

thanks for the responses guys, and eg6ajk, i've been studying your site, trying to decide about my options. more questions...

My car is a '94 hatch and i'm planning a jdmb18c (gsr) swap this summer and i understand the jdm ecu's are weaker in the midrange than the usdm ones. I'm not even sure yet if i can get a newer engine with an older obd1 jdm ecu (if jdmfaze would respond to my EMAILS).

I have that '92 p28 that looks for the ELD. Would chipping it make it stop looking? Would chipping it do anything about the secondary butterflies (guessing not)? And there's no accounting for the knock, correct?

maybe this is the wrong forum, but can you quote your domestic p72 prices for me? If i understand you correctly, domestic p72's do not look for an ELD and jdm ecu's usually don't? And, all CDM eg's don't have the ELD pack or only some of them?

thanks,

d