Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Using exisiting empty fuse and relay ports for add ons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Using exisiting empty fuse and relay ports for add ons.

2016 Civic EXT owner here. And I wish to add some accessories on to my car. What those accessories are is ilrelevent (and results in to many off topic side conversations).

In both under the hood and inside under the driver side dash are fuse boxes. Both with empty fuse slots and relay's (under the hood).
I would like to use these to expand the electronics on my civic, but have not been able to find any wiring diagrams on either. For one such add on, I used an add-a-fuse adapter on an open fuse port on the interior fuse block. Which works. But now block the ability to add others because of the size they occupy.

Under the hood, the free fuse and relay ports do not have any terminals in them. If I was to add on to this one, where might I find terminals that I can install in to the fuse and relay ports?

Have anyone one present added on to their electrical system via using free ports instead of just slapping on a inline fuse and calling it a day? I would like to make my add-ons seamless and built in to the existing system.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: Using exisiting empty fuse and relay ports for add ons.

Generally, it would be easier, quicker and less expensive to just add an auxiliary fuse box; than trying to understand power circuits in existing fuse/relay box, and then having to add wiring and terminals.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Using exisiting empty fuse and relay ports for add ons.

No success in the shopping world. So I ended up heading to a junk yard in my state. Where I just pick-and-pulled all the cables out of a modern Honda that had it's life ended too soon. I used the used cables, and they fit perfectly into the on board slots of the current fuse box

Understanding the electrical system is not that hard. I found out that the horn ran back to the engine fuse box, and was powered via one of the relays already existing in the fuse box. This made adding the new relay and fuse so much easier. (everything contained inside the fuse box) This made it all look neat and professional.