Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Turn by Turn navigation issue w/ Google Pixel 2XL

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn by Turn navigation issue w/ Google Pixel 2XL

My phone is a google pixel 2XL it's worked everytime aside for the last 2 days it just says "turn by turn waiting for smartphone" I contacted google about the phone and I also went to the dealership. they both have no idea why it's not working, both suggested I try online to find it. It used to work no problem no idea what's wrong. I've done quite a bit of trouble shooting. different cords factory resets. uninstalling and reinstalling android auto I cant get it to work. any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turn by Turn navigation issue w/ Google Pixel 2XL

I think this might be phone specefic the guy at honda had the same phone couldnt get it to work just tried and older phone and it worked, maybe a new update messed things up. I know I could just get another phone and solve the issue but this is the problem having android auto intergrated I see so many issues
Old 12-12-2018, 03:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thekenneth
I think this might be phone specefic the guy at honda had the same phone couldnt get it to work just tried and older phone and it worked, maybe a new update messed things up. I know I could just get another phone and solve the issue but this is the problem having android auto intergrated I see so many issues
That is true, hopefully a software update by Honda will solve other integration problems. In the meantime, time for a different phone.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I have good and bad news. I found the "solution" but I'll say the problem first. it was Google maps. the last two updates are NOT compatible with the turn by turn on the 2018 honda civic. as I tried 2 others phone going back and forth from the update. uninstalling it worked perfectly. doing an update again wouldnt work! I now use the un-updated version of google maps which isn't as good but I can still work with it, also the difference isn't that big. bad news is I'll probably have to use an updateless version of google maps until the end of time as I don't see them updating, despite all my talks with google who assure me it will be fixed, they likely dont understand the issue at all.

either way I can go back to using android auto good enough for now and I hope for an update. my big issue is the purpose of android auto is to use your phones interface because a built in GPS doesnt update as well. but when the current update on a 2018 vehicle already is having compatibility issues it's rather annoying! also when I get a new phone in a year after my plan is up, I'm hoping the stock version of maps will work. could be wrong they could have an update but let's not hold our breaths