Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Is theft a concern for you with the new Si/R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is theft a concern for you with the new Si/R?

Some may or may not know, but the theft rate of the Integra R was insane in the mid-2000 time frame. Other Honda's were hot items for those who thought the 5 finger discount was best, but it seems the higher end or modified Honda's were the main targets. You could hop on the forum at practically any given time and find a new thread 'car xxxxx gone' or 'I thought it was safe but nope'. Or the classic 'they found my carR and it isn't pretty' thread.

I owned my 2014 Si for exactly 1 year and had attempted theft twice, and the car was broken into but not taken or attempted theft once. And the pathetic part is that the thefts were attempted in plain sight, in crowded parking lots.

I am a fairly loyal Honda person, owned many various Honda's including 2 ITR's when living in Japan. I even have a Honda power washer for my house. That said, I am somewhat concerned about the theft rate of the CTR once it hits the shores of the US. Though I am certain theft happens within other vehicle makes, I don't see it nearly as often as we do within the Honda community.

Is this something you are concerned about?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Is theft a concern for you with the new Si/R?

If not theft expect vandalism...

its to be expected really. Even the type R integra's are still getting vandalized or stolen. It would be a miracle if someone even was able to recover the shell in one piece.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How exactly do you steal a car that has an immobilizer, outside of towing it?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Fish Twig

good question but I rather not answer, security reasons.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll find a pro that knows how to get the job done.

IMO, if you have a car that is a thief magnet, take the necessary precautionary measures to reduce its chances of getting stolen / vandalized. If you live in a shady area and the car needs to be parked elsewhere, move. If you are going to a known shady area, don't take the car there.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say if you really don't want your car stolen put a steering wheel club and brake club on it and call it a day. I think an immobilizer, steering wheel club, brake club and car alarm combo should get it done and if not, it's going to take some work. They'll just move onto the next car.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
LOL, I won't educate you on this, but it's being done - A LOT - with all types of manufacturers including Hondas. You would think we would be further along in theft protection, but humans are ingenious and will find a way around an obstacle eventually...

I still say we make it legal to have flame throwers attached under the vehicle to light their asses up. Death to thieves!!! It's the same useless POS that steals stuff that complains things cost too much... those losses get added on somewhere down the line. Most companies aren't out to lose money...
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm waiting until Apple builds a code that is the key system, so no one can crack it. Oops, wrong subject.

But yeah, as OneBadTurboCRV (who the hell has a turbo CRV?) said, its fairly simple. My local service manager told me about how simple it was to crack after my second theft, and after a few restless nights, it prompted me to sell my car.

The thing is, both theft attempts I had were in plain sight at decent shopping complexes. I did buy a new house last fall, and my caR will be garaged, so that is a plus. My last house, the car sat outside.

holmesnmanny, go into the ITR forum and look back 10-12 years and read some of the theft stories. It's completely gut wrenching. I remember reading about someone taking a chainsaw to a garage door, hooking up a tow strap and dragging the car out of the garage. The dude had the photos to back up his story and it ended with a stack of metal cut up in a bunch of pieces.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:02 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yep, that's one of the reasons I sold my 2013 Si too... It's surprising you have that many theft attempts where you live. Quite sad.

*On a side note, I am suprised you hadn't seen my CRV at some local AutoX stuff... We have spoken many times if you recall...
Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
LOL, I won't educate you on this, but it's being done - A LOT - with all types of manufacturers including Hondas. You would think we would be further along in theft protection, but humans are ingenious and will find a way around an obstacle eventually...

I still say we make it legal to have flame throwers attached under the vehicle to light their asses up. Death to thieves!!! It's the same useless POS that steals stuff that complains things cost too much... those losses get added on somewhere down the line. Most companies aren't out to lose money...
I did see a new special on a flame thrower installed on a car.

We're dong the right thing on not disposing new cars on how its done. No way in hell I'll spill the beans.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by junkyard racer
I'm waiting until Apple builds a code that is the key system, so no one can crack it. Oops, wrong subject.

But yeah, as OneBadTurboCRV (who the hell has a turbo CRV?) said, its fairly simple. My local service manager told me about how simple it was to crack after my second theft, and after a few restless nights, it prompted me to sell my car.

The thing is, both theft attempts I had were in plain sight at decent shopping complexes. I did buy a new house last fall, and my caR will be garaged, so that is a plus. My last house, the car sat outside.

holmesnmanny, go into the ITR forum and look back 10-12 years and read some of the theft stories. It's completely gut wrenching. I remember reading about someone taking a chainsaw to a garage door, hooking up a tow strap and dragging the car out of the garage. The dude had the photos to back up his story and it ended with a stack of metal cut up in a bunch of pieces.
With home alarms today you can have a sensor on the garage door. If it gets moved into any position it will notify the alarm company. Wireless Z-wave sensors are also available. GL with securing your new home bro.

Nothing wrong with a FI CRV.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Yep, that's one of the reasons I sold my 2013 Si too... It's surprising you have that many theft attempts where you live. Quite sad.

*On a side note, I am suprised you hadn't seen my CRV at some local AutoX stuff... We have spoken many times if you recall...
In todays world, unfortunately, the methheads will do anything to get a buck.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
With home alarms today you can have a sensor on the garage door. If it gets moved into any position it will notify the alarm company. Wireless Z-wave sensors are also available. GL with securing your new home bro.

Nothing wrong with a FI CRV.
New home is great and secure. I think if I go the new Civic route, it will get a form of lo-jack.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Fish Twig

With lo-jack you'll need that police report and 24hrs to activate. There are alternatives to tracking the car.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*form of lo-jack.

Yes, there are several other types of tracking out there.

Im even reading about the 'tile' tracker...those things you attach to your keys. Evidently, they work with just about anything and might not be a bad idea to hide in your caR.
https://www.thetileapp.com/blog/how-...ycle-with-tile
Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Fish Twig

exactly, other forms of tracking devices.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In todays world, unfortunately, the methheads will do anything to get a buck.

I had an attempted break in on my Odyssey - did some damage. I guess they want my Elmo DVDs, for their kids to watch too.

Relating to topic, sad and true. People will take anything and everything, if they can. It's no longer about cars and car parts anymore (IMO).
Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I had an attempted break in on my Odyssey - did some damage. I guess they want my Elmo DVDs, for their kids to watch too.

Relating to topic, sad and true. People will take anything and everything, if they can. It's no longer about cars and car parts anymore (IMO).
Keep all things out of site when parking in public area's. Even if its a apt complex.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The second time my car was broken into, there is NOTHING inside of the car.

My car was always spotless, inside and out.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Old Member

Keep all things out of site when parking in public area's. Even if its a apt complex.
The second time my car was broken into, there is NOTHING inside of the car.

My car was always spotless, inside and out.
If I go back 10 years, 5 of my cars have been broken into parked in my driveway. Nearly all of the time, there is nothing visible, not even a pen, visible, as I keep everything clean (too). Base on the gun laws in my state (back then), these guys got ***** - or just stupid. Would it be worth it?

To share one story. One time, they broken in. Took my flashlight, and ear buds. They dropped the ear buds as they made the getaway, maybe fell out of their pocket. I found it in my yard 30 feet away. They took my flashlight. But...they left their flashlight in my car. I like theirs flashlight better.

Till this day, I still have "their" flashlight.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Fish Twig

LOL, **** happens dude. Sometimes I notice dents on my car that weren't there before, that just tells me they used a bb gun to test the car for any alarm system. Other times there would be a car driving around. I spotted one and they tried to reverse down the street, ended up driving up to see if my car was for sale. Another time they tried to steal my stock rims w/ NEW TIRES and my tilt sensor went off, I ran out with my concealed beretta nano and was hunting up and down the street.( bad idea, I know)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Old Member

LOL, **** happens dude. Sometimes I notice dents on my car that weren't there before, that just tells me they used a bb gun to test the car for any alarm system.
Didn't know that. I tired to be careful with door dings. I guess sometimes it's not really a "door ding."
Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

That's a horrible way to test an alarm system... do you realize how many false negatives you would get from a test like that?

I am not interested in sharing effective ways on testing them, but a lot of would be thieves used to be / are deterred by a simple flashing light.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Base on the gun laws in my state (back then), these guys got ***** - or just stupid. Would it be worth it?
I was carrying the days I found my car with attempted theft in the open parking lot. Would I have shot someone...hell no, not justifiable. But holding them while the cops arrived would have been something that probably would have ended up as a viral FB video. :p
Old 04-12-2016, 04:31 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

... and you in jail. As a fellow lifetime open / concealed carry permit holder, you should know you would be in jail too... happened to a friend of mine. Our state is pretty good on gun laws (or lack thereof) but definitely not the best.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah yeah yeah.

Quick Reply: Is theft a concern for you with the new Si/R?