Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2016 - Current) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2016-current-165/)
-   -   oil level increase due to oil dilution - Software update? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2016-current-165/oil-level-increase-due-oil-dilution-software-update-3330640/)

2018HBowner 11-22-2018 05:29 AM

oil level increase due to oil dilution - Software update?

Did my first oil and filter change at 10k km when maintenance minder came on, on 2018 Civic HB LX. Checked the oil level after the change and after running the engine to 3k rpm. The engine was also at normal operating temperature. Oil level is at between the 2 dots on the dip stick.

After 2 months and now at 12k km the oil level reads at above the top dot on the dip stick!

Is this normal or dangerous?

I've read elsewhere that the 1.5 L turbo engine squirts extra gasoline at times to keep the cylinder walls cool and this gasoline drains into the crankcase where the oil pan is.

What should I do? Siphon the extra oil out?

Take it to the dealer? I heard that the new CR-Vs have had this problem and that there is a fix. Is that true?

shipo 11-22-2018 07:40 AM

re: oil level increase due to oil dilution - Software update?

Fuel dilution, change the oil early and often until Honda gets the fix in to your computer.

eL 11-29-2018 02:30 AM

Re: oil level increase due to oil dilution - Software update?

Originally Posted by 2018HBowner (Post 51787043)
Did my first oil and filter change at 10k km when maintenance minder came on, on 2018 Civic HB LX. Checked the oil level after the change and after running the engine to 3k rpm. The engine was also at normal operating temperature. Oil level is at between the 2 dots on the dip stick.

After 2 months and now at 12k km the oil level reads at above the top dot on the dip stick!

Is this normal or dangerous?

I've read elsewhere that the 1.5 L turbo engine squirts extra gasoline at times to keep the cylinder walls cool and this gasoline drains into the crankcase where the oil pan is.

What should I do? Siphon the extra oil out?

Take it to the dealer? I heard that the new CR-Vs have had this problem and that there is a fix. Is that true?

Did you say you checked the oil when the engine was on or still warm?

zeroptzero 01-08-2019 05:45 PM

I had the dealer perform the software update for this issue. They offered to dump the old oil and refill with new oil, they wanted to keep the same oil filter rather than change it. I offered to pay for a new oil filter rather than mixing old oil with new, it only made sense, kind of dumb that Honda would cheap out over an oil filter.

shipo 01-09-2019 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 51825731)
I had the dealer perform the software update for this issue. They offered to dump the old oil and refill with new oil, they wanted to keep the same oil filter rather than change it. I offered to pay for a new oil filter rather than mixing old oil with new, it only made sense, kind of dumb that Honda would cheap out over an oil filter.

Not necessarily; these days there is very-VERY little oil in the filter, that and as filters age their efficiency improves; that's why Honda recommends replacing the filter every-other oil change for many of their cars.

TheShodan 01-09-2019 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 51825731)

is this in the U.S? Do you have a TSB number(s)?

zeroptzero 01-10-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51825872)
is this in the U.S? Do you have a TSB number(s)?

I'm in Canada, it was announced by Honda Canada. I don't know how it is being handled in the US, check with you local Honda dealer if it applies to you.

TheShodan 01-11-2019 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 51828236)
I'm in Canada, it was announced by Honda Canada. I don't know how it is being handled in the US, check with you local Honda dealer if it applies to you.

Our local dealers are complete and utter idiots, and in 24 years have never relied on them for advice. (Which is why my cars last such a long time). . This is why I asked about the TSB number possibility to help them head in the right direction for me..

TheShodan 05-25-2019 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51828400)
Our local dealers are complete and utter idiots, and in 24 years have never relied on them for advice. (Which is why my cars last such a long time). . This is why I asked about the TSB number possibility to help them head in the right direction for me..

And now they finally admit to it..

Oil Dilution TSB for U.S.

Touring 07-23-2019 03:56 AM

Hi
Have a 2019 Civic Touring only 4,200 km . Production date of 11/18
Have changed the oil twice first time changed the filter.Oil diluted with fuel.Can even smell it on the dipstick.
Honda Canada says my Civic is not affected and no TSB or recalls.
Called Honda Canada again and the customer service person said I shouldn’t drive it and have it towed.They will even pay for a rental.
:mad:

GIZZ - EXV 07-23-2019 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Touring (Post 51976995)
Hi
Have a 2019 Civic Touring only 4,200 km . Production date of 11/18
Have changed the oil twice first time changed the filter.Oil diluted with fuel.Can even smell it on the dipstick.
Honda Canada says my Civic is not affected and no TSB or recalls.
Called Honda Canada again and the customer service person said I shouldn’t drive it and have it towed.They will even pay for a rental.
:mad:

The update were rolled out in colder climates first. In Canada, east coast started doing these in 2018 and west coast months later. Initially the computer module was replaced, as of about Feb 2019 Honda shipped out hardware to give dealers the ability to rewrite the software. There is a slim possibility the software update didn't take. I've see where during an update the unit bricked, the tech panics and installs one of the units that was previously removed from the earlier update, maybe they just failed to update that one. Just saying it's a possibility. I've also seen cars arrive at the shop with crv and civic modules installed in place of each other, that's not your issue, you would have other problems, I'm just saying shit happens.

In every situation I've encountered where somebody complains of there still being an issue they are checking the oil wrong. The issue is mostly if you shut a car and check the oil it's at one level, if you let car sit and check it the following morning it goes up. Totally normal, I'm still waiting to see one still messed up.

shipo 07-23-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GIZZ - EXV (Post 51977026)
The update were rolled out in colder climates first. In Canada, east coast started doing these in 2018 and west coast months later. Initially the computer module was replaced, as of about Feb 2019 Honda shipped out hardware to give dealers the ability to rewrite the software. There is a slim possibility the software update didn't take. I've see where during an update the unit bricked, the tech panics and installs one of the units that was previously removed from the earlier update, maybe they just failed to update that one. Just saying it's a possibility. I've also seen cars arrive at the shop with crv and civic modules installed in place of each other, that's not your issue, you would have other problems, I'm just saying shit happens.

In every situation I've encountered where somebody complains of there still being an issue they are checking the oil wrong. The issue is mostly if you shut a car and check the oil it's at one level, if you let car sit and check it the following morning it goes up. Totally normal, I'm still waiting to see one still messed up.

But will "checking the oil wrong" cause it to smell like gasoline? :P

Touring 07-24-2019 04:01 AM

Thanks for the info
Always check engine oil after 3 or more minutes also oil level will be a bit higher in a hot engine.