Oil dilution problem in 1.5 turbo engines - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Oil dilution problem in 1.5 turbo engines

Old 02-21-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil dilution problem in 1.5 turbo engines

Since the fix, engine is taking much longer to fuel up. And MPG is a little lower. Why is Honda doing this?

i have to conclude that avoiding detonation is a higher priority than fuel economy. However, it doesnít make sense. OK, engines wonít have busted lower end components due to detonation. But they will have failure due to lubrication issues. They havenít solved anything that I can see.

this article helped me understand why they are overfueling to cool combustion.

https://www.comeanddriveit.com/engine/detonation-and-knock/
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even the worst manufacturers out there are smart enough to send their vehicles to extreme cold environments for testing, and how an engineer cant miss rising oil levels on a dipstick is beyond me. My 25 dollar used oil analysis test can reveal water and fuel levels, manufacturers with millions of dollars in testing apparatus at their disposal can't find an issue like this ?

Fuel dilution in direct injected turbo motors has been an issue for many years first started by Mazda, then experienced by GM and Ford. Surely Honda would have that on their radar when they decided to develop DIT engines, they were late to the party but that should have been to their benefit to resolve known issues well advertised by other engine platforms. It really baffles me.

I am sure the cooling changes are meant to reduce detonation issues as they need to lean out the fuel mixtures to potentially reduce fuel dilution, using excess fuel at low speed operating conditions was supposed to reduce the frequency of detonation (low speed preignition). I think my car runs a bit weaker after the reflash, I have no proof, it is just a guess based on how it drives now. Hard to say about fuel economy as weather conditions here are all over the map lately and I do lots of engine warm up with my remote start. The car gets traded in next week so I won't even bother checking the dipstick to see if there has been any change since the reflash.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've noticed a decrease in power since I had the dilution recall done on my 17 civic touring.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put 2000 kms on my new WRX with the 2L DIT engine in very cold ambient weather conditions. There has been no noticeable change in oil level and the oil is still a golden clear colour. The Civic was the complete opposite after 2000 kms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: