Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Looking for advice - which performance mods first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice - which performance mods first?

Hello

I am new to the forum, just signed up actually

Looking to learn a bit about my car i just bought - 2016 Civic Coupe

Its the first decent car ive ever owned, and also the first import. Owned a cpl cheap POS's to get me by lol

I dont know a lot about performance upgrades so I am looking to learn.

I want to make my car faster (like everyone else, haha), but I want to know what to start with, and then what next, etc, etc

I prob have about $500 now that I could spend on upgrades, and then prob about another $500 ish every cpl months (2-3 months)

Thanks for any advice in advance!!!! Looking forward to learning!!!!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Looking for advice - which performance mods first?

This is unlike in any other Honda that has been out before. You definitely want to understand the basics of turbocharging first.

Then, you want to understand about what to do, and what not to do on direct injected engines. .

My suggestion first to you is to look at the basics of turbocharging in the forced induction form. Do not create any threads there. Start reading about the basics of how turbocharging works, what to expect from a turbocharged vehicle, understanding maintenance, etc.

DO NOT JUST start grabbing parts, because everyone else did, and going to performance upgrades when you don't understand the implications of what they can do positively and negatively for you. that is a classic mistake.

you're more than likely about to get suggestion of using Hondata, different filters, different intakes, BOVs, etc. Do not get anything yet. Start understanding and learning about turbocharging and forced induction . Your car will thank you later.

I'm more than happy to give you the engine basics of turbocharged vehicles by way of YouTube links, another helpful areas. I will not make parts suggestions like these other people are going to do. The reason is because you need to understand the basics first. You're starting from the very beginning with a turbocharged vehicle . That, in and of itself, will make things more complicated, then other possible cars that you've dealt with before.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly if you have $500 now and $500 in another 2-3 months I’d just save your money. Modifying cars is expensive just enjoy it as is.

if you really feel the itch I’d go nice wheels and tires first. Change the look of the car and easily reversible
Old 07-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by .Grimace
Honestly if you have $500 now and $500 in another 2-3 months I’d just save your money. Modifying cars is expensive just enjoy it as is.

if you really feel the itch I’d go nice wheels and tires first. Change the look of the car and easily reversible
Co-Sign.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TheShodan and .Grimace have provided pretty honest advice. Performance modification is very pricey; especially when beginning with a naturally aspirated engine. I would say, just purchase a drop in filter (like a K&N). That will at least increase your throttle response.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the money a Ktuner would be a great way to go. I ran the stage 3 tune and a drop-in dry air filter. Night and day difference in the way the car drives throughout it's operating range. then there is the full throttle blasts reaching insane speeds on the SF Bay area freeways. Get a Ktuner you will love it.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 17EXT
For the money a Ktuner would be a great way to go. I ran the stage 3 tune and a drop-in dry air filter. Night and day difference in the way the car drives throughout it's operating range. then there is the full throttle blasts reaching insane speeds on the SF Bay area freeways. Get a Ktuner you will love it.
17EXT - I think the OP has an N/A model of the Civic Coupe.
For the CVT 1.5L owners I would highly recommend: Tuner (Hondata / K-Tuner), Upgraded IC, and the AOS (Air / Oil Seperator) to soon be released by PRL. I am awaiting the AOS before I jump on all 3 items at the same time.