Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

HID universal kit - Kensun vs Morimoto Elite (info thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID universal kit - Kensun vs Morimoto Elite (info thread)

Due to a rather spectacular bit of user error, I now have both the Kensun 35w "slim ballast" H11B HID kit (5000K) *and* the Morimoto Elite H11B plug-and-play HID kit (5500K). I bought the Kensun kit from Amazon, and the Morimoto set from theretrofitsource.com (free standard shipping took two days).

I have the Kensun kit installed already. Instructions are sparse, but there is a wiring chart online that's more helpful. Once I got everything planned out, install took less than 30 minutes. I tested them, and spent another 20-30 minutes securing the wires and ballasts. It's recommended to use a relay with these, which is an extra cost. Amazon/Kensun was offering a discount, so total cost was $75.

HID vs halogen:

Side view:

I'm pleased with they way they turned out. Plenty of light, nice cutoff, no odd shadows or unevenness. They've only been installed for a few days, so no idea on durability or longevity. I'm keeping the halogen bulbs in the glove compartment if something blows out.

Pictures soon of the Morimoto kit. Their set includes a heavier-duty relay harness (a relay for each ballast vs the Kensun's single relay). The wiring is nicer-looking - braided sheaths vs either bare insulation, generic flex loom or plain black poly covers on the Kensun wires. The actual bulb has a connector on it instead of being wired like the Kensun kit, which should make it even easier to install in the housing.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HID universal kit - Kensun vs Morimoto Elite (info thread)

Have you previously used Kensun? I was looking into their LED kit but have no idea what to get since there are so many different brands on the market.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM

People seem to be happier with HID vs LED with projector housings, in regards to overall output and throw.

I have the Morimoto Elite kit installed now, and have posted some comments about it over on civicx. I'll copy that here soon.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Kensun passenger side. Relay is on the driver side.

Morimoto passenger side. Relay is on the driver side.

Smaller "package" of wires for the Morimoto kit due to their modular construction. I also like how their bulb has a connection on it vs being hard-wired like the Kensun.

The Morimoto relay(s) is (are) much larger than the Kensun's single relay - still working on an ideal spot for those.

Cons to the Morimoto kit - the ballasts make a high-pitched buzz. Can't hear it with the hood shut. There's also a slight wobble on hard bumps in the passenger side light. At some point I'll try to clean up the Kensun wiring and mix those with the Morimoto relay. Or use the Kensun kit for fogs, not sure yet.