Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Going from the LX Model to the "Sport" model? Differences? Similarities?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from the LX Model to the "Sport" model? Differences? Similarities?

When I bought my LX, I had intentions to buy a Sport. However, my salesman sold the last Sport the same morning as when I bought mine. After seeing pictures of Sports (especially in White Orchid Pearl) I feel like I settled for the LX. Does anyone have any experience between the two? Or do any guys who have Sports want to chime in? I'd be interested in hearing about CVT and six speed equipped cars.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Going from the LX Model to the "Sport" model? Differences? Similarities?

Originally Posted by CE1318
When I bought my LX, I had intentions to buy a Sport. However, my salesman sold the last Sport the same morning as when I bought mine. After seeing pictures of Sports (especially in White Orchid Pearl) I feel like I settled for the LX. Does anyone have any experience between the two? Or do any guys who have Sports want to chime in? I'd be interested in hearing about CVT and six speed equipped cars.
Why don't you just go to the dealer and drive one?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Going from the LX Model to the "Sport" model? Differences? Similarities?

Because I'd like to hear how they compare before going and falling in love with one.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They're very sweet man, only test drove an LX, but the sport hatchback is really awesome. Extra hp, aero kit, 18" rims, and the dual exhaust were definitely worth the couple grand mark up from the LX imo.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Upon further investigation, out of 583 Sport hatches on Cars.com, there are only 18 manuals. So sourcing a manual might prove harder than I originally thought. Any insight into special ordering one?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dealerships will usually do trades with others dealers to get you what you want
Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR Rodgers
dealerships will usually do trades with others dealers to get you what you want
If any dealers had what I want I'd do that. But they don't.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I was in the market for a CTR. The CTRs were all marked up like crazy, so in the meantime my wife and I drove a Sport hatch in CVT just to see how it felt.

We bought my WIFE a Sport hatch CVT.

I'm still in the market for a CTR, but it won't be until mid 2018 due to the purchase of this Sport.

I'll say that the CVT was a pleasant surprise, but I would not buy a Sport for myself unless it was manual. The CVT in Sport mode is fun, and you can force downshifts, it holds revs/gear until you either come too close to redline, or click the paddle yo upshift. In these regards it's great. It is sort of laggy upon take-off - the manual will murder it in this regard. ...but you already have a 1.5L turbo CVT in your LX, right? I don't like the lag it takes to downshift on the interstate with the CVT, nor the sluggish initial "launch" - after that it's great. you still cannot beat the feel of total control with the manual though.

I did not drive an LX, but honestly I cannot see how the driving experiences would be so different between the Sport hatch, and LX hatch. The lower profile 18'' tires on the Sport might feel more responsive, but you will likely feel a little more of the road with them. The exhaust note is deeper for sure, but again, sot a huge difference from LX.

We got ours for $22,700.00 drive out in GA with tax, tag, title, etc. 100% DRIVE OUT. Manuals are $800.00 cheaper on MSRP, but a dealer might not be inclined to cut it's profit on one of those if they feel it's "rare" or had to dealer trade for one.

Don't settle again. Your LX and Sport only differ mainly on looks, period. The LX hatch has the same engine and only down a slight touch on power due to the exhaust, nothing more. I certainly would not suggest trying to make your LX a Sport by buying all the body stuffs as that would be too pricey, but if you're going to go through the trouble and take a loss on trading your LX in for a Sport, get the manual. Add a Hondata tuner to that manual, go +9psi and you'll be walking on new Si coupes/sedans with ease. (I know, I know you can tune up an Si much the same way and be faster than a tuned Sport.)

Speaking of the Si, do you like either the coupe, or sedan chassis? If so I'd take a hard look at the Si as it's only a few grand more, has more power, LSD transmission, push button sport mode stiffer suspension, better brakes, etc. I just personally cannot stand the sedan body, and the coupe is not practical for my life as I have two kids, bikes, etc.

Again, don't settle. Explore the options.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
I was in the market for a CTR. The CTRs were all marked up like crazy, so in the meantime my wife and I drove a Sport hatch in CVT just to see how it felt.

We bought my WIFE a Sport hatch CVT.

I'm still in the market for a CTR, but it won't be until mid 2018 due to the purchase of this Sport.

I'll say that the CVT was a pleasant surprise, but I would not buy a Sport for myself unless it was manual. The CVT in Sport mode is fun, and you can force downshifts, it holds revs/gear until you either come too close to redline, or click the paddle yo upshift. In these regards it's great. It is sort of laggy upon take-off - the manual will murder it in this regard. ...but you already have a 1.5L turbo CVT in your LX, right? I don't like the lag it takes to downshift on the interstate with the CVT, nor the sluggish initial "launch" - after that it's great. you still cannot beat the feel of total control with the manual though.

I did not drive an LX, but honestly I cannot see how the driving experiences would be so different between the Sport hatch, and LX hatch. The lower profile 18'' tires on the Sport might feel more responsive, but you will likely feel a little more of the road with them. The exhaust note is deeper for sure, but again, sot a huge difference from LX.

We got ours for $22,700.00 drive out in GA with tax, tag, title, etc. 100% DRIVE OUT. Manuals are $800.00 cheaper on MSRP, but a dealer might not be inclined to cut it's profit on one of those if they feel it's "rare" or had to dealer trade for one.

Don't settle again. Your LX and Sport only differ mainly on looks, period. The LX hatch has the same engine and only down a slight touch on power due to the exhaust, nothing more. I certainly would not suggest trying to make your LX a Sport by buying all the body stuffs as that would be too pricey, but if you're going to go through the trouble and take a loss on trading your LX in for a Sport, get the manual. Add a Hondata tuner to that manual, go +9psi and you'll be walking on new Si coupes/sedans with ease. (I know, I know you can tune up an Si much the same way and be faster than a tuned Sport.)

Speaking of the Si, do you like either the coupe, or sedan chassis? If so I'd take a hard look at the Si as it's only a few grand more, has more power, LSD transmission, push button sport mode stiffer suspension, better brakes, etc. I just personally cannot stand the sedan body, and the coupe is not practical for my life as I have two kids, bikes, etc.

Again, don't settle. Explore the options.
I was thoroughly surprised by the CVT as well. Having driven past CVT equipped vehicles, I was afraid of the wind up before it came online. Didn't really experience that in the Civic.

I'm leasing my LX, so I don't be doing much in the way of aftermarket. Maybe just an intake and a blow off. But as far as tuning or anything not easily reverted back to stock, I'm not going to touch that it.

Upon seeing the hatch, the coupe and sedans just looked blah.

After talking to a salesman about possibly trading my LX in for a Sport, and the payments going up $100, I'm going to stay in my lease until the end. The only White Orchid Pearl Sport locally is a CVT. And the closest six speed is in California. And not even white. I'm extremely happy with my car, but I'll definitely weigh my options before pulling the trigger next time.