Notices
Honda Civic Type-R (2017 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Type-R Discussions

The Civic Type R!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The Civic Type R!

Regarding markups...

Honda could have reduced need for markups by supplying more cars - they control the supply in supply/demand equation...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itrdave
Regarding markups...

Honda could have reduced need for markups by supplying more cars - they control the supply in supply/demand equation...
It's sort of good Honda didn't make more of them. Then they'd be everywhere, every Honda ricer idiot would have one and it'd just be like an Si and not as special. IMO.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulMc
It's sort of good Honda didn't make more of them. Then they'd be everywhere, every Honda ricer idiot would have one and it'd just be like an Si and not as special. IMO.
Correct. But the markup would have happened even with more units available. That's just what dealerships that don't think of the long run do.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:09 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As the more of the CTR have been showing up, more and more people are reporting purchases with no markup at all, just MSRP.

At MSRP, it's an extraordinary buy.

For me, it's not a car for everyday use, but I'm sure for many of you it might very well fit the bill.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by George Knighton
As the more of the CTR have been showing up, more and more people are reporting purchases with no markup at all, just MSRP.

For me, it's not a car for everyday use, but I'm sure for many of you it might very well fit the bill.
I hope that continues. We'll soon see.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Agreed, to shame with those other dealerships who marked it up like crazy.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard racer
The Wait Is Nearly Over: New 2017 Honda Civic Type R Makes Global Debut at Geneva Motor Show - Honda News

2017 Civic Type R. - Honda News

Mar 7, 2017
  • First Type R-badged Honda available in the U.S. goes on sale late spring
  • Most powerful, quickest, fastest and most agile Civic ever
  • 2.0-liter i-VTEC® DI TURBO: 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque
  • Major chassis and suspension upgrades for track-ready performance
GENEVA – Honda today took the wraps off one of the most anticipated models in its history with the unveiling of the production 2017 Civic Type R at the Geneva Motor Show. The long-awaited Civic Type R, slated to go on sale in the U.S. in late spring with an MSRP in the mid-$30k range, is the first ever Type R-badged Honda to be sold on American soil. The Type R will feature a high performance 2.0-liter turbocharged powertrain, substantially upgraded body and chassis, and other track-ready, Nürburgring-tuned and tested performance components. The 2017 Civic Type R will make its U.S. debut at the New York International Auto Show on April 12, 2017.

"The fastest, most powerful Honda ever sold in America, the Type R caps off the incredible success story of our 10th generation Civic lineup," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president & general manager of the Honda Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "We're happy to inform our U.S. enthusiasts that the long wait for the forbidden fruit of Honda Type R performance is nearly over!"

The new Civic Type R, sharing the body style of the 5-door hatchback variant of the tenth-generation global Honda Civic platform, will be powered by a U.S.-built 2.0-liter DOHC, direct-injected and turbocharged i-VTEC in-line 4-cylinder engine with peak ratings of 306 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,500 to 4,500 rpm. The engine will be mated exclusively to a short-throw 6-speed manual transmission with rev matching capability – employing automatic throttle blips for smoother shifts and power delivery. A new single-mass flywheel reduces clutch inertia by 25 percent versus the previous (European) Type R and a lower final gear ratio is employed to improve acceleration response.

The Civic Type R chassis builds on the major upgrades undertaken for the 10th-generation Civic makeover with model-exclusive spring, damper and bushing settings, a new Dual-Axis front suspension setup with aluminum lower arms and steering knuckles for improved at-the-limit cornering and reduced torque steer; a new four-wheel Adaptive Suspension System with three-chamber dampers; a retuned and adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio; and a helical limited-slip front differential. Mounted to the suspension are 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels shod with 245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires. Decisive stopping power comes from Brembo 4-pot aluminum calipers squeezing 350mm (13.8-inch) cross-drilled rotors at the front. The rear braking system features solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors.

The Type R's scalpel-sharp responses are further enhanced by a body more rigid than the substantially improved Civic Hatchback on which it's based – with a 38 percent increase in torsional rigidity and 45 percent gain in bending rigidity versus the previous Civic Type R – enhancing steering response and cornering stability while mitigating body vibration and cabin noise. The improvements are made possible by the application of structural adhesive throughout the body. Ultra-high strength steel is used for 14 percent of the body structure, and the Type R has an aluminum hood, contributing to a 16 kg (35 lb) reduction in body weight versus the previous Type R, and a 7 kg (15 lb) reduction versus the base 2017 Civic Hatchback.

The 2017 Civic Type R is designed to reward the driver in all driving conditions, on the track and on the street, and features three driving modes: Comfort, Sport (default) and +R. The driver selectable modes adjust steering and throttle response, transmission rev-matching, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the Adaptive Damper System. Utilizing new, three-chamber dampers, individual stroke sensors and three vehicle-G sensors, the new damper system offers a wider range of variability for ride comfort and dynamic handling response.

The 2017 Civic Type R will launch this spring in a single, premium-contented Touring trim. A 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen interface with embedded Honda Navigation system has both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility; and should the driver ever tire of hearing the Type R growl, a 540-watt, 12-speaker audio system with SiriusXM 2.0, HD Radio and Pandora compatibility is also provided as standard.

Additional interior Type R features include heavily bolstered sports seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift boot, aluminum shift ****, aluminum sport pedals, red Type R driver's meter and serialized Type R plate on the center console.

The Civic Type R will be manufactured by Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing in Swindon, England, with its 2.0-liter turbocharged engine made by Honda of America Mfg. at its Anna, Ohio engine plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. Pricing specifics and additional details on the 2017 Civic Type R will be provided closer to launch.

Specifications and Features Overview
PowertrainEngine Type
L-4 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC turbocharged engine with dual valve timing control
Horsepower
306 horsepower @ 6,500 rpm
Torque
295 lb-ft of torque @ 2,500-4,500 rpm
Transmission
6-speed manual transmission
Chassis
Drivetrain
Front wheel drive with limited slip differential
Steering
Dual pinion electric power steering with variable ratio and active steering
Suspension
Dual axis front strut suspension and independent multilink rear suspension with adaptive damper system
Brakes
Front Brembo aluminum four piston calipers with drilled 350mm (13.8-inch) rotor brakes. Rear brakes feature solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors
Wheels
20-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Tires
245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires
Driving Modes
  • Three-mode driving dynamics control with Comfort, Sport (default) and “+R” modes adjust dampers, steering, throttle response, transmission (rev matching), VSA (vehicle stability assist) and traction control systems
Body
  • Increased body stiffness over current Civic Hatchback and previous generation Type R
Exterior
  • LED headlights, fog lights, brake lights and turn signals
Interior
  • High-bolstered sport seats with red/black suede-effect fabric
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel
  • Leather wrapped shift ****
  • Sport/racing pedals
  • Illuminated visors
Features
  • Display Audio with Navi
  • Dual Auto HVAC
  • XM and HD Radio
  • 12 speaker 540-watt premium audio system
  • Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
Yeah my Honda Dealer at Crystal Lake IL got one red and the car wasn't even clean and was sold within 5 hours the MRSP was $34,775 but was sold for $45,000. Boy that is a one high price for that car. But would be interesting to see what else come up. Thanks
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Are they already available? Ive read no more than 6000 will be released stateside for the next few years. Doesnt seem like an incentive for dealers NOT to charge more.

if this list can be belived,many are:

Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list. 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com
Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can bet there will be plenty of CTRs available for anybody that wants one --> just like how Focus RS's are sitting all over dealer lots right now...
Old 06-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I have mine, bought new last week at MSRP, and it is now my new daily. So far I am very impressed with it and my NSX may go back into storage for the rest of the Summer.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR
Well, I have mine, bought new last week at MSRP, and it is now my new daily. So far I am very impressed with it and my NSX may go back into storage for the rest of the Summer.
Name:  Spaceballs%20holy%20shit_zpsjl7bprf2.gif
Views: 1039
Size:  1,011.1 KB
Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR
Since you’re using it as a daily driver, people might appreciate hearing more about what it is like living with one.

Thing like, does the navigation really work and are the seats working well and comfortable for a regular sized American.

We already know how it performs. :-)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: The Civic Type R!

Originally Posted by junkyard racer
The Wait Is Nearly Over: New 2017 Honda Civic Type R Makes Global Debut at Geneva Motor Show - Honda News

2017 Civic Type R. - Honda News

Mar 7, 2017
  • First Type R-badged Honda available in the U.S. goes on sale late spring
  • Most powerful, quickest, fastest and most agile Civic ever
  • 2.0-liter i-VTEC® DI TURBO: 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque
  • Major chassis and suspension upgrades for track-ready performance
GENEVA – Honda today took the wraps off one of the most anticipated models in its history with the unveiling of the production 2017 Civic Type R at the Geneva Motor Show. The long-awaited Civic Type R, slated to go on sale in the U.S. in late spring with an MSRP in the mid-$30k range, is the first ever Type R-badged Honda to be sold on American soil. The Type R will feature a high performance 2.0-liter turbocharged powertrain, substantially upgraded body and chassis, and other track-ready, Nürburgring-tuned and tested performance components. The 2017 Civic Type R will make its U.S. debut at the New York International Auto Show on April 12, 2017.

"The fastest, most powerful Honda ever sold in America, the Type R caps off the incredible success story of our 10th generation Civic lineup," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president & general manager of the Honda Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "We're happy to inform our U.S. enthusiasts that the long wait for the forbidden fruit of Honda Type R performance is nearly over!"

The new Civic Type R, sharing the body style of the 5-door hatchback variant of the tenth-generation global Honda Civic platform, will be powered by a U.S.-built 2.0-liter DOHC, direct-injected and turbocharged i-VTEC in-line 4-cylinder engine with peak ratings of 306 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,500 to 4,500 rpm. The engine will be mated exclusively to a short-throw 6-speed manual transmission with rev matching capability – employing automatic throttle blips for smoother shifts and power delivery. A new single-mass flywheel reduces clutch inertia by 25 percent versus the previous (European) Type R and a lower final gear ratio is employed to improve acceleration response.

The Civic Type R chassis builds on the major upgrades undertaken for the 10th-generation Civic makeover with model-exclusive spring, damper and bushing settings, a new Dual-Axis front suspension setup with aluminum lower arms and steering knuckles for improved at-the-limit cornering and reduced torque steer; a new four-wheel Adaptive Suspension System with three-chamber dampers; a retuned and adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio; and a helical limited-slip front differential. Mounted to the suspension are 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels shod with 245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires. Decisive stopping power comes from Brembo 4-pot aluminum calipers squeezing 350mm (13.8-inch) cross-drilled rotors at the front. The rear braking system features solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors.

The Type R's scalpel-sharp responses are further enhanced by a body more rigid than the substantially improved Civic Hatchback on which it's based – with a 38 percent increase in torsional rigidity and 45 percent gain in bending rigidity versus the previous Civic Type R – enhancing steering response and cornering stability while mitigating body vibration and cabin noise. The improvements are made possible by the application of structural adhesive throughout the body. Ultra-high strength steel is used for 14 percent of the body structure, and the Type R has an aluminum hood, contributing to a 16 kg (35 lb) reduction in body weight versus the previous Type R, and a 7 kg (15 lb) reduction versus the base 2017 Civic Hatchback.

The 2017 Civic Type R is designed to reward the driver in all driving conditions, on the track and on the street, and features three driving modes: Comfort, Sport (default) and +R. The driver selectable modes adjust steering and throttle response, transmission rev-matching, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the Adaptive Damper System. Utilizing new, three-chamber dampers, individual stroke sensors and three vehicle-G sensors, the new damper system offers a wider range of variability for ride comfort and dynamic handling response.

The 2017 Civic Type R will launch this spring in a single, premium-contented Touring trim. A 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen interface with embedded Honda Navigation system has both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility; and should the driver ever tire of hearing the Type R growl, a 540-watt, 12-speaker audio system with SiriusXM 2.0, HD Radio and Pandora compatibility is also provided as standard.

Additional interior Type R features include heavily bolstered sports seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift boot, aluminum shift ****, aluminum sport pedals, red Type R driver's meter and serialized Type R plate on the center console.

The Civic Type R will be manufactured by Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing in Swindon, England, with its 2.0-liter turbocharged engine made by Honda of America Mfg. at its Anna, Ohio engine plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. Pricing specifics and additional details on the 2017 Civic Type R will be provided closer to launch.

Specifications and Features Overview
PowertrainEngine Type
L-4 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC turbocharged engine with dual valve timing control
Horsepower
306 horsepower @ 6,500 rpm
Torque
295 lb-ft of torque @ 2,500-4,500 rpm
Transmission
6-speed manual transmission
Chassis
Drivetrain
Front wheel drive with limited slip differential
Steering
Dual pinion electric power steering with variable ratio and active steering
Suspension
Dual axis front strut suspension and independent multilink rear suspension with adaptive damper system
Brakes
Front Brembo aluminum four piston calipers with drilled 350mm (13.8-inch) rotor brakes. Rear brakes feature solid 305mm (12-inch) rotors
Wheels
20-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Tires
245/30R 20 Continental ContiSportContact 6 performance tires
Driving Modes
  • Three-mode driving dynamics control with Comfort, Sport (default) and “+R” modes adjust dampers, steering, throttle response, transmission (rev matching), VSA (vehicle stability assist) and traction control systems
Body
  • Increased body stiffness over current Civic Hatchback and previous generation Type R
Exterior
  • LED headlights, fog lights, brake lights and turn signals
Interior
  • High-bolstered sport seats with red/black suede-effect fabric
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel
  • Leather wrapped shift ****
  • Sport/racing pedals
  • Illuminated visors
Features
  • Display Audio with Navi
  • Dual Auto HVAC
  • XM and HD Radio
  • 12 speaker 540-watt premium audio system
  • Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
Hello guys!
Today Japanese media tell us Latest News and some Pics for JDM CTR.

320hp@6500rpm!
Torque 40.8kg-m@2500~4500rpm!
Retail 4500360JPY

For more nformation visit at
http://autoc-one.jp/honda/civic_type...hoto/0004.html

Thanks

Last edited by Japan Domestic; 07-26-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Japan Domestic
Hello guys!
Today Japanese media tell us Latest News and some Pics for JDM CTR.

320hp@6500rpm!
Torque 40.8kg-m@2500~4500rpm!
Retail 4500360JPY

For more nformation visit at
????????????R ??????????????FF?????????????????(??4)|??????????? ???

Thanks
So, MSRP on the JDM CTR is $41,400.00 ??? That's $6,500.00 more than the USDM CTR... I wonder what the differences are ???
Old 07-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
So, MSRP on the JDM CTR is $41,400.00 ??? That's $6,500.00 more than the USDM CTR... I wonder what the differences are ???
That's always been that way, my friend. (Simple currency exchange rate with difference in interest rates via the World Bank) There are no differences other than the ECU tweaked to obtain more HP due to their fuel octane and emissions standards. People think that because something is Japanese, you always get a consumer durable like a new car or a T.V. for less than you would in the U.S.. That is not, nor has it ever been the case. You typically spend the same or more for a Japanese consumer durable than you would the U.S.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CTR Official info here
???? TYPE R?Honda
Accessories
Honda?Honda Access????? TYPE R
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
It is almost the same except that the specification of the Cali catalyzer is different. Is it a shipping fee from UK to JPN? If the USDM CTR exists.

Last edited by Japan Domestic; 07-28-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Trial User

The white with the red seats...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by itrdave
Regarding markups...

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Originally Posted by TheShodan
Correct. But the markup would have happened even with more units available. That's just what dealerships that don't think of the long run do.
Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Are they already available? Ive read no more than 6000 will be released stateside for the next few years. Doesnt seem like an incentive for dealers NOT to charge more.

if this list can be belived,many are:

Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list. 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com
Honda has the control to prevent dealers from marking up accessories, which would prevent this.
  • What many don't realize is the MSRP of the vehicle is never marked up, as it can't be, otherwise the dealer will lose their license with Honda (Honda's quite clear about this and has zero tolerance for marking up the MSRP), however what is marked up are the accessories. These can be marked up to whatever price the dealer cares to sell them at, so when you see a 2017 CTR being sold at $45K, it's a $34,775 vehicle with $10K floor mats (arbitrary, insert accessory name).
All Honda would need to do is cap the maximum markup for accessories at a reasonable percentage, say $250% (wholesale on every accessory/part is at least 50% less than the dealership is listing them at
  • A great indicator of wholesale price is what Majestic Honda sells parts for, as they're the largest nationwide Honda parts dealership, or better yet, allow a customer to opt out of the accessories sold with a vehicle.
Further complicating the issue on the consumer side is the way in which Honda operates, as unlike most manufacturers which allow a dealership to order a vehicle for a customer, Honda allocates all vehicles to dealerships, with the allocation based strictly upon regional sales numbers.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Since you’re using it as a daily driver, people might appreciate hearing more about what it is like living with one.

Thing like, does the navigation really work and are the seats working well and comfortable for a regular sized American.

A customer of our is 51 years old. He's been DD'ing the R for 2 months now. He moved into this car from a stock GSR that he drove for 15 years.

He says the R is very uncomfortable and not a DD'er at all. Seats are hard,suspension is stiff and the brakes squeal like crazy (says in the owners manual you will get brake squeal and it is normal)

He says he expected it to be a little rough around the edges,but it is more so than he thought it would be

. At 41, I DD an RSX with Azenis and Progress suspension. Im used to rough. I could rock an R at this point.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after 5 months of driving this beast I've log around 3k miles to date and I have loved every minute of driving this car! I've even came home in the middle of the day to trade out the NSX because, frankly the CTR is more fun to drive. As for the comfort, IMHO it is more comfortable than any performance car that I've ever driven. I love the seats, they are very comfortable and easy to get in & out, especially after struggling to climb in & out of my 'Brides'. In addition, since I've been driving an NSX for over 12 years the suspension on the CTR feels rather smooth to me...Ha'ha! So, I guess I'm not the best example for a good daily review of this car.

Although currently, the CTR is at the dealer ship because of some un-explainable sound with the brakes while in reverse.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon4 Re: The Civic Type R!

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
A customer of our is 51 years old. He's been DD'ing the R for 2 months now. He moved into this car from a stock GSR that he drove for 15 years.

He says the R is very uncomfortable and not a DD'er at all. Seats are hard,suspension is stiff and the brakes squeal like crazy (says in the owners manual you will get brake squeal and it is normal)

He says he expected it to be a little rough around the edges,but it is more so than he thought it would be

. At 41, I DD an RSX with Azenis and Progress suspension. Im used to rough. I could rock an R at this point.
He's a pus! I'm 45 and DD mine (#621), the car drives fine, no issues with too stiff, even in R+. It's an amazing car, like Jekyll and Hyde. Fine for DD then a freak when needed. I'm wide and the seats are snug but not bad by any means.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Trial User

There isn't much to dislike about the new CTR. Honestly probably the best front wheel drive sports car, and probably the best sports car under 40k you can buy. It's a complete package or style, speed, and utility with it being a hatchback. If I had to pick something to dislike it would be the wheels. They look at bit cartoonish on this car, and they make the brakes look tiny. There is a guy here in Columbus that has a CTR with what looks to be 18" wheels and the car just looks so much better. The car is lowered some so there is that bit of additional "fitment", but in general, the wheels / tires / brakes look much more proportional to the smallness of the car. I don't know if it would perform any better. I know a lot of OEMs are putting massive wheels on all of their cars to chase lap times, but from a style perspective, 20" wheels on the CTR look enormous. All that being said, I'd love to own one one day, before the electric cars fully take over.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: The Civic Type R!