Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

2017 Civic heater blows cold air after a while

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Civic heater blows cold air after a while

My 2017 Civic SR 1.0L (11,000 miles) heating seems to blow cold air eventually - usually after 25 to 40 minutes. The issue is fairly easy to recreate and consistent. It occurs on Auto and manual settings and seems most noticeable when the air is set to blow through the face vents. I don't use the AC so I assume that is not part of the issue. The only resolution I have found on longer trips is to keep turning the heating up - or turn the heating and fan off altogether - neither of which is ideal. I took a manual Civic for a test and the heating seems to work better in that hot air blows as long as the settings dictate. My questions are: has anyone noticed similar behaviour? Is the CVT cooling system different from the manual? thanks, Andrew
Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2017 Civic heater blows cold air after a while

The cooling system and A/C system is slightly different than older models but nothing extreme.
The first thing you need to do is check the clutch operation. If the clutch is engaging everytime you press the button then that's a good sign but it still might not be engaged after your 30min drive.

The FIRST thing to check besides the clutch operation, is make sure it has enough refrigerant! You would have to go to a professional shop or anywhere that has a specialized A/C machine & can check for leaks & your refrigerant level. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by TheShodan; 04-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks however this is a CVT so there is no (manual) clutch.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMedford9
Thanks however this is a CVT so there is no (manual) clutch.
he's not referring to the transmission. the compressor has a clutch also
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK thanks again. I assume the compressor (and clutch) referred to above is related to the A/C and I have not been using the A/C. Or is the clutch referred to above independent of A/C? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for your patience. Andrew
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMedford9
OK thanks again. I assume the compressor (and clutch) referred to above is related to the A/C and I have not been using the A/C. Or is the clutch referred to above independent of A/C? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for your patience. Andrew
It's an Electromagnetic clutch within the A/C compressor system.

Another example

Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to sound a little too obvious, but it's still warrantied. Bring it in and let them figure it out.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Honda local garage and advanced support are engaged. The forum is "extra". Local people from the garage have observed the issue and are persuaded of the behaviour - and tentatively seem to agree that it seems unacceptable. I will borrow an identical car next week to try and recreate the issue to see if the issue is unique to my car - or potentially a design issue or "feature". The owner of the other car claims to have observed the same behaviour so I will try to confirm the issue is really the same as I experience. This test is overdue.

Honda advanced support claim it sounds like design intent. A common scenario I think until the evidence is inarguable. After a while (invariably 40 mins) only cold air blows through the dash and windscreen vents while hot and warm air blows into the footwell. Unless that is, the heat setting is set to Hi - when very hot air blows through all vents. Very cold and very hot are very uncomfortable. Also simultaneous hot footwell and cold dash/screen is also uncomfortable. I can't believe this is design intent and I think I'm just looking for someone at Honda to offer a credible explanation.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Strange. It is logical that the air temperature gets colder once the selected cabin temperature is reached (and unless your setting is on high or course). However, once that cabin temperature is reached, your air blower speed should also decrease? The air will still blow through the vents even after that desired temp. is reached to keep your windows from fogging / to keep the desired temperature.

I never actually realized if mine did that or not. I'll try to check, but with winter now behind us, it'll be hard to figure out.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fan speed does indeed decrease and the mode changes as the cabin acclimatises - when Auto is selected. However the strange temperature behaviour occurs regardless of Auto being selected or not - and A/C on or off. Once the cold air starts it is always quite noticeable when one knows about it although I concede it is less unwelcome in warm weather. I am in Scotland so I get lots of cool (at least) weather air almost all year round. The different vents simultaneously blowing hot and cold air - when the cabin is acclimatised - is surely a recipe for discomfort, isn't it?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can imagine. Automation obviously has flaws. I guess this is one!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I borrowed an identical model from my dealer and it behaved the same. At least it's not just my car. I guess that's just how the cc is intended to operate. After the cabin reaches the temperature some vents heat us up while the dash vents try way too hard to cool us down . It is uncomfortable and seems very inefficient . It's also very difficult to control to get tolerable especially on longer runs. I find turning the fan off altogether or turning it up to 28.5 with a very low fan speed and window/floor vents the best. It just seems like really poor design intent. The rest of the car is fine but this more than niggles. I have searched for other forum members who may be reporting the same experience and am somewhat surprised not to find any yet. I thought there would be uproar. Angry from Manchester etc.