Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2016 - Current) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2016-current-165/)
-   -   2016 Civic EX - Need assistance Understanding the CVT Transmission (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2016-current-165/2016-civic-ex-need-assistance-understanding-cvt-transmission-3335937/)

raulgongora 04-12-2019 01:27 AM

2016 Civic EX - Need assistance Understanding the CVT Transmission

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I recently financed a previously leased 2016 Civic EX 2.0L (non-turbo) it's got 29,500 miles on it. I did tons of research and found out Honda is probably the best bet with newer CVT transmissions. It's My first ever CVT car & I'm just concerned about how the previous owner treated it; I plan to drive this car as long as it can go with high maintenance. So i drive Highway mostly; 60 miles almost every day. I noticed with ECON ON, releasing the brake pedal and pressing the gas after, the car jolts back and forth abnormally. Doesn't happen with ECON OFF. And as I was parking today, I went from Reverse to Drive and I heard a faint mechanical sound come from underneath. I had the windows open. I always come to a complete stop when switching from D to R or vice versa. I know most people don't. My biggest worry with any car is transmission problems. I drive cars with love! Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I'll appreciate any help at all. Please and thank you my Honda fellas/fellettes

thecca 04-16-2019 04:19 AM

re: 2016 Civic EX - Need assistance Understanding the CVT Transmission

It can happen, but it shouldn't be rough or abnormal. Did you bring it to your nearest Honda dealer? They should be able to check it under warranty. Hard to troubleshoot with that level of detail and without the vehicle in hand. Honda's CVT aren't known for reliability issues. I wouldn't worry. Just bring it in your local dealer and have them check it. Should be free of charge...

raulgongora 04-16-2019 04:27 AM

Yeah maybe "abnormal" is a scary word to use. It's not so rough, just a little concerning when it does happen. I'm more gentle with the throttle now. It is under warranty for 6 years or 150,000 miles so I'll definitely bring it in if it gets any worse. My brother owns the EX-L 1.5 same year and his does a similar jolt when turning it on. Kinda strange. But at least mine is okay as far as I know! Thank you for the reply thecca I appreciate it :-)

thecca 04-16-2019 04:55 AM

You're welcome. Mine's brand new (500 miles on it so far) and it does it sometimes. Eco button really puts the car on a ''lazy mode'' so perhaps the CVT is affected by that. When you release the throttle while the car is moving, the transmission kind of goes on neutral. Adjusting itself back to the car's speed once the throttle is applied back again can be tricky.

raulgongora 04-16-2019 07:47 PM

Re: 2016 Civic EX - Need assistance Understanding the CVT Transmission

I've read some people get the same gas mileage with ECON Off. It really does put the whole car in lazy mode, I've seen a few videos on it. It softens the throttle a lot. I don't know whether or not to leave it on.