Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 AM
yak
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winter steelies vibration

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
do you have a certain budget?

are you located in the US?
I'm in the Boston area, and looking to do it cheaply (aren't we all).

My local Town Fair store has Firestone Winterforce all-in with alignment for $240. I may go that route.

I got to thinking, I'll need another set of TPMS sensors. I'm wondering - will the ECU recognize the new sensors, or will it require resetting?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest to get another set of TPMS... they should be the instructions on how to synchronizing them. I'll probably ask one of my friend's how to do it so I'll get back to you on that. I don't have them on my car so I don't need to worry about it lol...

240$ ok let me see if I can find you something better then the Firestone.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the ones I have the Yokohama iG52c and I love them. I do a lot of driving and I recommend them highly. They were voted best performing winter for this year. I have them on my Si (which is the first time I ever drive my Si in the winter she is stored for the winter usually) and I can't complain. I drive hard also and they have nice grip. We had 2 snow storms already and I'm also lowered as I didn't want to change any of my specs for track and I had no issues and was very pleased.

They aren't much more expensive at Tirerack.com they are 296$ for a set of 4. I know it's a little more but trust me these are a way better tire and it's your daughter's safety. I don't want to offend you with that comment but for the difference in price it's worth every penny certainly that you'll be having them for a few years to come.

Other tires worth mentioning is the Toyo Observes ICE3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 AM
yak
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I'll look into those brands.

Regarding the TPMS sensors, as far as I can tell from researching it, the 2012 will only store 4 sensors, so I either need to live with the TPMS light on when the snow tires/wheels are mounted (and can't turn off TC), buy another set of sensors along with a programming device to reset them every time I swap the wheels, or buy a set of programmable sensors and pay this guy to clone them. I've sent him a message to find out the cost.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM
tirerack.com

Hi Yak,

Thank you for the post. The Honda will respond very well to winter tires and will add huge level of safety and confidence I am sure you are seeking for your daughter.

The Firestone Winterforce is a good entry level winter tire. As Dave mentioned, the Yokohama IceGuard is also a very nice studdless ice and snow tire for nearly the same cost. When I tested it at the ice rink, I found it to be similar to the Blizzak WS80 and the Michelin Xice Xi3. It offers a lot of traction for a low price. Speaking of Blizzak, we have the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on closeout still available for $75ea. That is a smoking deal.

For wheels, I have a 15" steel wheel that will work very well for winter use. It is $52ea, brand new. When purchasing a wheel and tire package, we will mount and balance everything, shipped ready to go.

As for TPMS, the dealership will need to sync the sensors, unless you can find someone to clone your an existing sensor. Some local garages can trigger them, though you would want to check with them prior to purchase. The cost for triggering would be between you and the shop and would need to be done every time you swap wheels/tires. Also, some garages will not install a wheel/tire package without a TPMS system, as the law indicates they can not. We offer factory equivalent sensors are $44ea.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-AJ