Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Wife's 2006 Civic Front End Issue - Tech experts please help me diagnose.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife's 2006 Civic Front End Issue - Tech experts please help me diagnose.

Every day I get a whining complaint that something's wrong with her car. here are the symptoms:

- After driving for a a few minutes, the front end (not sure which side) makes a vibrational hum noise, similar to "whir-whir-whir-whir-whir-whir or hum-hum-hum-hum-hum"

Things I've checked:

- No play in either front wheels
- Brakes and fasteners look fine (new rotors and pads as of 10k mis ago)
- Brand new tires (with 7k miles...)
- - Can the balance go out??

Things i've discovered (not sure if its an issue)
- when the front end is jacked up and I spin either front wheel freely, both driver and passenger wheel maintains a spin but makes a noise like this: "click-click-click-click-click-click" or "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick"
- - It makes this noise when going straight or turned.. Since this is common between both wheels I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Back wheels don't make any noise whatsoever when I freely spin them.

Any comments, please provide some insight and or things I should check for, thank you!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wife's 2006 Civic Front End Issue - Tech experts please help me diagnose.

Did you check for wheel bearing play? Are the anti rattle clips rubbing the rotors?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wife's 2006 Civic Front End Issue - Tech experts please help me diagnose.

if you did the brakes check the dust shield touching the rotor i bet my dollar thats what it is
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Wife's 2006 Civic Front End Issue - Tech experts please help me diagnose.

Because its really hard to tell where the noise is coming from...

There are some issues going on with the upper pillow mounts and also the steering rack....

You can have one of your local dealers do a vin check to see if it falls under any of these recalls...
Also, keep an eye on your engine block... Some of the civic's are having issues..
Engine block will crack and leak coolant, will cause overheat eventually...

Hope this helps you out a little bit...

Good luck...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Trial User

i noticed that when working with breaks or doing a break job the brake shield sometimes gets bent and does tend to make slight rub on the rotor.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sepulchral
Every day I get a whining complaint that something's wrong with her car. here are the symptoms:

- After driving for a a few minutes, the front end (not sure which side) makes a vibrational hum noise, similar to "whir-whir-whir-whir-whir-whir or hum-hum-hum-hum-hum"

Things I've checked:

- No play in either front wheels
- Brakes and fasteners look fine (new rotors and pads as of 10k mis ago)
- Brand new tires (with 7k miles...)
- - Can the balance go out??

Things i've discovered (not sure if its an issue)
- when the front end is jacked up and I spin either front wheel freely, both driver and passenger wheel maintains a spin but makes a noise like this: "click-click-click-click-click-click" or "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick"
- - It makes this noise when going straight or turned.. Since this is common between both wheels I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Back wheels don't make any noise whatsoever when I freely spin them.

Any comments, please provide some insight and or things I should check for, thank you!
How were you checking for play in the front wheels? Was the front end jacked up? My Integra was making this noise back in the day, it turned out to be a wheel bearing. With the wheel in the air, you could see that the bearing had a bit of play.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no god