Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.

My girlfried has an 07 Civic with navigation system head unit from the factory. When you turn on the car, "HONDA" Shes late on monthly payments like usual and afraid they will track the car thru the GPS and repo it.

They wont find it otherwise because she no longer lives in the same address they have. She will make payments again when she gets paid, just dont want her to lose the car to the repo guys before she can make the payments.

The question is: Can they track her thru the OEM GPS unit installed in the car??? and how can I remove the actual gps module and keep the radio working without the gps???

Please help,
Old 11-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.

i dont think honda would go to that desperate measure.
usually its people that you know that tip repo guys for money and
they tell them where the car is.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
New User

Well,

What I really want to know is if the car can be tracked or not? Maybe the factory GPS is just like any other aftermarket navigation system.

If It had a Pioneer or Alpine GPS they couldnt track it if they wanted to.

Thats what I really want to know. If the car is capable of being tracked with its OEM navigation system?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the oem unit is alpine fyi.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 PM

I don't think they can track it nor would they go to that measure. Thats why theres financing. Missing her payments just means next time she applies she gets denied or killed on the interest rates.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

They don't need the GPS to find you. It doesn't matter if she moved. The repo person will find her when he wants to, trust me. I've worked with people and we all went out of state....They tracked this girl down and took her car when we went into the grocery store. We were 5 hours from home.. She was 2 1/2 months late on her payment

I don't know what si 87 is talking about when he says that's why there's financing. He is 100 percent wrong in thinking they won't take your car becuase you miss payments....That's exactly when they take it.

You are not safe...And they actually prefer to take it when you can't see the car. That way they avoid possible resistance and or confrontation....They will take it while you sleep, at the mall, while at dinner, grocery store.....whaterver it takes and they will follow you around...They know where you are and they know where you sleep and they know where you take dumps at.

So you are going to try to dimantle a GPS that you know nothing about to avoid getting a car repoed? You're a complete degenerate and a moron for real bro.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ look at this guy getting mad serious bibg brother on us.lol.

Im guessing if shes financed, shes financed through honda financial. Im not gona lie they are serious about everything. My boy does repo-ing, and iv gone out with him on my nights off. It aint easy to get in with honda financial to do repo's on thier cars. So you know the ppl doin it know what they'r doin. and will find you in suprissing ways you wouldnt think of. but it's not impossible to avoid.

I dont know about them being able to track you through the gps. Without a doubt possibe, I mean your using satalites that are connected to honda to honda to offer the gps service. wouldnt be suprised if they couldnt reverse that and find you buy it. or atleast record locations youv been at by it.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, they absolutely can track a car by GPS...
Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JustinG60
btw, they absolutely can track a car by GPS...
...but not without a warrant. See stories all the time with OnStar vehicles where the customer calls OnStar frantically after the car is stolen, only to be told they can't give out the location of the car without a court order. Same thing with stolen GPS-enabled smartphones.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

really and truly, you should just lend her the money if you can to make her payments and play it safe.. because you don't want the hassle of it gettin repo'd
Old 11-26-2009, 04:54 AM

They will actually repo your car for being late on payments? He never said she disappeared and is giving $0.00, but that she is late.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Si87
They will actually repo your car for being late on payments? He never said she disappeared and is giving $0.00, but that she is late.

Who knows? But why even take the risk..

clc, how late is she behind on her payments? Because if it's just a month or so I'm sure they won't bother.. Unless it's months then that can't be good..
Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by borat
...but not without a warrant. See stories all the time with OnStar vehicles where the customer calls OnStar frantically after the car is stolen, only to be told they can't give out the location of the car without a court order. Same thing with stolen GPS-enabled smartphones.
if the person in posession of the car financed it, the financing company can obtain a warrant or give power of attourney to a repo company to obtain a warrant. Which by the way only takes about 20 minutes to do... So they can and will track by GPS if thy want that car...
Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Road House

Originally Posted by borat
Cars, cell phones, and any electronic object with GPS attached can only be tracked through a court mandate, and/or with the owner's permission.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 AM
New User

Some of u here are probably still yung and parents pay for half your toys. I on the other hand am having a real tough time getting by with the economy. I know lots of people that havent made a payment on their cars for 2 years now, still driving and saving money to buy a car cash. Oh, and the repo guys are not CIA. They are regular people with some "not all" information about the person thats not making the payments and a little bit of luck too. Thats about it.

So the factory headunit is Alpine? I dont think they can do much about it then. Alpine is not Onstar and its just a Honda civic, not a $100k Benz.

"So you are going to try to dimantle a GPS that you know nothing about to avoid getting a car repoed? You're a complete degenerate and a moron for real bro. "

You shouldnt offend people just because your not looking at them face to face. Dont waste your anger on me and for no reason, save it for a real situation so when you really need it you still got some left.

Happy thanks giving
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I can find where people live, a Repo man can find where you live.

And I don't have access to any DMV information, loan information, etc.

Your "girlfriend" (probably you) should not have made the purchase on a car that she couldn't afford. It is because of people like yourself and your girlfriend the economy has gone to ****.

I hope it gets repossessed with the quickness

(PS, I am young and manage to pay for my loan, insurance, apartment, food, and everything else just fine) If you're truly "older" and more "mature" you should not have purchased it.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of us are not attacking you we are just giving you advice.. We know the economy is bad and worst for others.. It was just a suggestion to help her pay if possible.. and there's no real answer to your questions.. Even if they cannot trace your GPS, they may still find her whether it's where she works or whatever..

You can never be safe no matter how many precautions you take, so just hope for the best..

I personally hope it does not happen cause I would hope for the same if I were in the same boat as her..
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan

Your "girlfriend" (probably you) should not have made the purchase on a car that she couldn't afford. It is because of people like yourself and your girlfriend the economy has gone to ****.

(PS, I am young and manage to pay for my loan, insurance, apartment, food, and everything else just fine) If you're truly "older" and more "mature" you should not have purchased it.
Truth.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed, don't buy a car you can't afford...

They won't track it down with the GPS, they wouldn't even have access to the right technology to do that...
Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some fyi, Honda will not accept anymore payments if you stop communicating with them and go 3 payments behind.

From a legal perspective you are in default 1 day late and any financial institution has the right to decline payments, demand payment in full or take the car.

If you want to hide you must move where you have no family and never put any utilities in your name, apply for anything in your name or use your social security number.

In some states, like Arizona, it's a felony to keep a car you aren't paying for.

If you have a vehicle where the lender refuses to accept payments you should have a friend turn it in for a cash reward. Ultimately this cash reward will be added to the debt you owe the lender.

Your state has a statute of limitations on the time a lender has to be able to sue you in court or collect any money, usually 6 or 7 years. If you can avoid being served during this period you are scott free from the lender being able to do anything.

If you are never served you cannot be sued in absentee.

If you have a friend with a legitimate automotive business you can have them put a mechnics lien on it and they can demand a payment of what they want to remove said lien. I know someone that got $5,000 this way and used the money to buy the car back at auction and the statute of limitations expired.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tercel95
Agreed, don't buy a car you can't afford...

They won't track it down with the GPS, they wouldn't even have access to the right technology to do that...
You couldn't be more wrong.

They do have access to the technology to do that. And to the guy that says you have to be months behind for them to repo is wrong. Didn't you read my earlier post? I said we were out of town away from home for only 2 weeks and she was 2 1/2 months behind and they took it when we went into the grocery store for 20 minutes. They were following her/us...It was hysterical....dumb bitch
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think that you girl is the only one who owe money for a car
and honda is not gonna spend more money on trying to track ur girls car
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QFT
Old 11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by f3rcho
honda is not gonna spend more money on trying to track ur girls car
LOL, thats not true, they can legally tack it on to what you owe them.

+$10,000 what your car sold for at auction
-$8,000 spent on repo and legal
+$2,000 left over
-$20,000 payoff on your loan
-$18,000 balance
Old 11-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda makes money from payments so they'll take it back and resell it if they have to...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS navigation. Can they track me thru GPS??? Please help.