Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control

Is there any way to disable the traction control system on the Si. I have found that when driving in deep snow, and the LSD kicks in, the engine RPMs drop to 1500 and will not go up until traction is regained... not so good when you have to start on a snow covered hill. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Tom
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Traction control

Originally Posted by 97emsedan
Is there any way to disable the traction control system on the Si. I have found that when driving in deep snow, and the LSD kicks in, the engine RPMs drop to 1500 and will not go up until traction is regained... not so good when you have to start on a snow covered hill. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Tom
theres a button to the left of the steering wheel. i think its labeled VSA off
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, that's where it is.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried that and thre was no difference... the RPMs did not go up even with the VSA turned off... anyways, they plowed all the **** off the roads... it was an easy drive into work today... but if it happens again I will repeat my actions and see if there is a difference... 8 inches of snow in one day is probably too much for a Civic anyway...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97emsedan
I tried that and thre was no difference... the RPMs did not go up even with the VSA turned off... anyways, they plowed all the **** off the roads... it was an easy drive into work today... but if it happens again I will repeat my actions and see if there is a difference... 8 inches of snow in one day is probably too much for a Civic anyway...
did you hold the button until it beeped and the light came on to the left of the tach? if there isn't a yellow light that's like a triangle with a ! in it, it isn't disabled. it took me a few tries to figure that one out. I got my tires spinning up to 120 in the show the other day while I was probably going 25-30. it definitely does disable it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VSA is traction control.. the exclamtion mark should pop up
Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DavidESchiller
did you hold the button until it beeped and the light came on to the left of the tach? if there isn't a yellow light that's like a triangle with a ! in it, it isn't disabled. it took me a few tries to figure that one out. I got my tires spinning up to 120 in the show the other day while I was probably going 25-30. it definitely does disable it.
I didn't hold the button down...I admit that, okay... next time I will do that....thanks all who contributed..I am in your debt...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It snowed a good one again last night...tried the VSA off ( waited until it beeped), and sure enough, it drove like my old 97 sedan. easy enough... Thanks all...
Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a beeping sound when you guys turn vsa off? I only thought that yellow light with the ! came on? Maybe I'm going deaf from my speakers?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davidhseo
There is a beeping sound when you guys turn vsa off? I only thought that yellow light with the ! came on? Maybe I'm going deaf from my speakers?
Mine beeped once and then it was silent. The VSA light on the dash came on to tell me it was disabled.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Trial User

I have a 2008 honda civic coupe... and i can't find the VSA or traction control button anywhere....?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by megj_h
I have a 2008 honda civic coupe... and i can't find the VSA or traction control button anywhere....?
Pretty sure it's only on the Si for that year.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate to be that guy but .... you should probably read the owners manual for the car. Its full of useful info.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by megj_h
USA Spec? Thats what I have, button is right there to the left around mid-dash point, between the door and steering wheel. Look in that general area. Its the area where you can "choose" which mirror to adjust by pressing the slider L or R.

Our year, you just press the button (no need to hold it) and a yellow triangle with ! will pop up in your dash display area.

If it is from another region, I can't help as it may/may not have it. Not sure on outside USA specs.

-Al
Old 12-29-2015, 04:37 AM
Trial User

ok by now everybody in this post knows how to turn it on and off....but if you are cheap like me and go to put air in your tire on the tire valve that is NOT flexible anymore and you break it off you gotta replace the valve. Now if you are cheap and do not want to spend about $100 n the sending unit. ( yes mine was broke) you can replace it with a conventional flexible valve. But now in these politcally correct cars there are things you just cannot do anymore....this tire pressure system is a pain in the ***...any time the weather changes it goes on and with low pressure you cannot turn the traction off not everybody lives in california or ?? where the weather very seldom changes drastically
OK I know I am ranting but I gotta replace the sending unit in 1 tire which is really pissing me off.....is there a way to permanantly disable it.....
maybe a fuse i can pull or a code to enter in my car computer reader
my next call is my honda dealer
Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo47
ok by now everybody in this post knows how to turn it on and off....but if you are cheap like me and go to put air in your tire on the tire valve that is NOT flexible anymore and you break it off you gotta replace the valve. Now if you are cheap and do not want to spend about $100 n the sending unit. ( yes mine was broke) you can replace it with a conventional flexible valve. But now in these politcally correct cars there are things you just cannot do anymore....this tire pressure system is a pain in the ***...any time the weather changes it goes on and with low pressure you cannot turn the traction off not everybody lives in california or ?? where the weather very seldom changes drastically
OK I know I am ranting but I gotta replace the sending unit in 1 tire which is really pissing me off.....is there a way to permanantly disable it.....
maybe a fuse i can pull or a code to enter in my car computer reader
my next call is my honda dealer
Damn, dude. They make punctuation marks for typing.

Anyway, honda is not going to tell you how to disable it. And there is no good way to disable it. Much like the same reason a call to the doctor's office would not net you instructions on you on how you can cut off your arm because you have an itchy papercut on your finger.

Your traction control is likely turned OFF with a broken sensor. Not stuck on.

You should fix your sensor. They're available on eBay for $25. Also at tire shops. Then fix whatever is making your pressure fluxuate. Maybe you have a slow leak.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Trial User

damn dude I am not typing a formal letter....my post is easy to read...but dude u did not read it as my q r not hard to understand..
Your traction control is likely turned OFF with a broken sensor. Not stuck on.
I said " replaced the broken one with a flexible one." and because of this the traction control STAYS ON ...you cannot turn it off so if you are stuck in snow you cannot get the wheels to turn
and also good frigging grief I said weather cause these sensors to activate not a slow leak...
If u r not going to read the post please do not give useless answers
Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn dude I am not typing a formal letter....my post is easy to read...but dude u did not read it as my q r not hard to understand..
I said " replaced the broken one with a flexible one." and because of this the traction control STAYS ON ...you cannot turn it off so if you are stuck in snow you cannot get the wheels to turn
and also good frigging grief I said weather cause these sensors to activate not a slow leak...
I suggested replacing the sensor with a working sensor...not a rubber valve with no sensor.

Your post looks like a 2 year old wrote it. I somehow understood it because I am smart AF. And bothered to answer your shitty question.

The reason your tires are so affected by what you think is weather is more likely a slow leak. If the sensor wasn't there, your illiterate *** wouldn't know your tires were low. The sensor activates due to low or high pressure. Not low or high temperature directly. Your tires are probably on the cusp of being too low...so if the weather gets colder, the air pressure lowers enough to set the light off. They're not temp sensors, stupid.

I also told you where you could find a cheap sensor to cheaply fix your traction control issue.

And that honda is not going to tell you what fuse to pull or how to disable VSA in the way you're thinking. VSA is tied into a million other things on the car.

Buy a sensor. Fix your leaks. Learn to read and write.

Last edited by B serious; 12-30-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You really say it's easy to read? You need to learn how to read.

Also, If you're going to post stupid questions you'll get stupid answers. The correct answer is to not be a cheap *** and replace the sensor. So replace your sensor.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:43 AM
Trial User

You really say it's easy to read? You need to learn how to read.
lol..looks like u should have said "You really say it's easy to read? You need to learn how to write so I can read it."
But not u...

10,966 posts. Damn! u need a life after Honda.
TRILLINOIS...flatlanders. I shoulda known.

And a no nothing jerk does fits.
Did not really want to get in a pissing match but don't worry I forgot more about cars then u will ever know.
Have a wonderful life...Dude!

I know it is moot but I will not be back here
Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha I don't know if you are trying to be funny or just a fool.

Please let the door hit you on the way out maybe it will knock some sense into you...