Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (builthatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the "impossible-to-find" bolt set detailed on the TSB has been located, and the car goes in on Monday at Rossi Honda in Vineland, NJ for the service.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Woohoo, let us know how it goes. Still loving my shifts to 3rd.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sasebonian)

My car as well will be going into Honda of Escondido for the service as soon as the parts arrive...I'm eager to feel the difference as i have forgotten how the car shifted when i bought it
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM

My Si has been up on a lift for nearly a week. They took my tranny apart but didn't have the bolt set. It was on backorder! My advisor called today and said the tech was working on it again today since the bolts came in. I had to buy my wife a new car over this. I kept the Si for my daily driver and made my S2000 a garage queen/track ho. Fortunately they gave me an Accord loaner.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Globallyoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Globallyoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My Si has been up on a lift for nearly a week. They took my tranny apart but didn't have the bolt set. It was on backorder! My advisor called today and said the tech was working on it again today since the bolts came in. I had to buy my wife a new car over this. I kept the Si for my daily driver and made my S2000 a garage queen/track ho. Fortunately they gave me an Accord loaner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. the bolt set. it's been hard to come by for everyone it seems.

i dropped the car off today so we'll see what happens; they said the set arrived at 7am this morning.

the loaner they gave us was a mazda3, in silver, to compliment my silver mazdaspeed3. i think our driveway might look this way sooner than later....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Well I went to pick up my Si this afternoon after they had completed the work. Unfortunately, there was a large scrape with white paint along most of the length of my rear bumper that wasn't there when I took the car in. After a "chat" with the service manager, they are now installing a new rear bumper. I hope they can get a good match with the Habanero red.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 AM

Have 3rd gear problems still existed for cars that have VINs that fall outside the TSB range? Thinking about getting an Si, and most of the cars on the lots are like 5-10,000 outside of the VIN range listed in the TSB.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Globallyoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> they are now installing a new rear bumper. I hope they can get a good match with the Habanero red.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is one positive to that situation-

the bumpers on our cars are painted seperately at the factory and, stock, they never match 100%. they are typically always darker. In fact, most new cars are like that. And, the lighter the color, the easier it is to tell. I think you will be fine. If you can, make sure you take a good look at the bumper now in the light, in moderate light, etc to get a feel for what is there stock.

re: the situation with my car, i'm getting it back today. i dropped it off monday morn, and he called me about it being done at 9am this morning. they did the 3rd gear stuff, replaced my driver's side visor that split open and would not stay up, and removed the spoiler, redid the adhesive strips, buffed out some scratched from the spoiler on the trunk, and reinstalled the spoiler. The service writer i know well said he took it personally for a drive in cold and hot conditions and it's perfect. we will see about that!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (own6volvos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by own6volvos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have 3rd gear problems still existed for cars that have VINs that fall outside the TSB range? Thinking about getting an Si, and most of the cars on the lots are like 5-10,000 outside of the VIN range listed in the TSB.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd say they probably applied the correct engineering to those cars outside of the VIN range, since they'd have to be pretty dang new to fall in that outside range. The TSB covers practically all Si's, new and old, up until what was on the lots probably only 3 months ago if i had to guess.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 AM

Has anyone here racked up a good amount of mileage on the new parts, and been able to tell if the problem was resolved, or at least lessened?

Hell even a faulty 6 spd probably feels smoother than my ancient volvo 4 speed transmission with ~300k on it.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'd say they probably applied the correct engineering to those cars outside of the VIN range, since they'd have to be pretty dang new to fall in that outside range. The TSB covers practically all Si's, new and old, up until what was on the lots probably only 3 months ago if i had to guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is yours the blue Si thats sitting outside? haha its been done since yesturday! come pick it up!

the new third gear synchros are actually carbon coated now.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (pgpbubble)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpbubble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is yours the blue Si thats sitting outside? haha its been done since yesturday! come pick it up!

the new third gear synchros are actually carbon coated now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, that's it! i'll be there after work! i hope it's all good!! haha...

i really like Rossi's service department.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, i'm glad to hear that, we try to take care of people here.

I'll be here till 5, your cars parked infront of my bay.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXone)

Anyone in San Diego got their 3rd gear fixed? I need hook up with someone you know in the dealer to get my 3rd fix. I brought it to the dealer but they kept saying "cannot replicate the prob". Mine is 07 si coupe, it doesn't show alot, just sometimes but still, it annoyed me. sometimes i want to be a lil aggressive but i can't cuz im afraid it'll grind.
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (xitrumd02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xitrumd02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone in San Diego got their 3rd gear fixed? I need hook up with someone you know in the dealer to get my 3rd fix. I brought it to the dealer but they kept saying "cannot replicate the prob". Mine is 07 si coupe, it doesn't show alot, just sometimes but still, it annoyed me. sometimes i want to be a lil aggressive but i can't cuz im afraid it'll grind.
Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read what I posted on the top of Page 2 of this thread. It'll have some info I typed there about where in San Diego. My third gear shifting is working like a champ.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
MiG-21 superfan

i got the car back and it's totally different. the 'fix' fixed the problem 100% and makes it feel like a different gearbox; it is really direct now and very precise. the 3rd gear before fix, even on it's best day, seemed 'unsure' and vague and NEVER smooth. you never were sure if it was really in gear. now it's silky and there is no doubt when it's in. it's like....a normal car now hahahaha!

SUCCESS. finally.

granted i've only had it back a few hours, but i feels better now than it did on day one last year, and on day one i was very educated on the issues since my first 07 was essentially lemoned and had the same issues.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

me being just an express tech, and pdi tech. I'm glad to hear everythings doing great jason your writer, and jason the tech are both very great people. If anyone local to vineland needs something looked over about this situation please give us a call. Day in day out with this job, as long as parts are stocked.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 AM

Let me know how yours holds up builthatch. The Si that I test drove felt perfect, and very similar to what you were describing.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
MiG-21 superfan

yeah, to add to what pgpbubble said- i'd say if you live in the southern PA/ southern NJ/ DE, give Jason a call at Rossi; its worth it considering how much of a hassle most dealers are.

i live about an hour from Rossi and still use them for my needs despite having a few honda dealers alot closer. i have a dealer that is 10 mins from my house.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Tickle-shits

Where is Rossi located? Im having a hell of a time with my dealer.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (Tokyosmash!)

Vineland, NJ

PM if you need contact info and referral.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1517 Delsea Drive
Vineland NJ 08360
856-692-1700

Ask for Jason Bender.

As long as the parts are stocked, this is a day in, day out procedure.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an 07 and i am a little worried about the 3rd gear if anything bad starts to happen i know where i am going
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Well I finally got my Si back today and must say, it shifts very well indeed. They were also to get a very nice match on the new rear bumper plastic that they put on. I was so happy to get the Civic back!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DATE: May 15, 2008

TO: All Honda Sales, Service & Parts Managers

RE: 2008 Civic Si Rocker Arm Seizure Product Update Campaign

Twenty-four (24) customer owned 2008 Civic Si’s may have the wrong exhaust rocker arm shaft installed in the cylinder head and need to be repaired. Six (6) additional vehicles have already been repaired.

Basic Problem

Thirty (30) Civic Si engines were assembled with the wrong exhaust rocker arm shaft due to a mistake on the engine assembly line. This exhaust rocker arm shaft does not properly align with the oil supply holes in the cylinder head.

Campaign Information

Service Bulletin (08-032) will be issued on 5/16/08 to support this campaign. The Service Bulletin will detail a complete cylinder head replacement. A customer letter will be mailed to each owner on 5/19/08 and a phone call will also be made to each customer.

Parts Information

The twenty-four (24) complete cylinder head assemblies and related parts required for the repair are in inventory at a Honda Parts Center.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpbubble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DATE: May 15, 2008

TO: All Honda Sales, Service & Parts Managers

RE: 2008 Civic Si Rocker Arm Seizure Product Update Campaign

Twenty-four (24) customer owned 2008 Civic Si’s may have the wrong exhaust rocker arm shaft installed in the cylinder head and need to be repaired. Six (6) additional vehicles have already been repaired.

Basic Problem

Thirty (30) Civic Si engines were assembled with the wrong exhaust rocker arm shaft due to a mistake on the engine assembly line. This exhaust rocker arm shaft does not properly align with the oil supply holes in the cylinder head.

Campaign Information

Service Bulletin (08-032) will be issued on 5/16/08 to support this campaign. The Service Bulletin will detail a complete cylinder head replacement. A customer letter will be mailed to each owner on 5/19/08 and a phone call will also be made to each customer.

Parts Information

The twenty-four (24) complete cylinder head assemblies and related parts required for the repair are in inventory at a Honda Parts Center.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have any VINs for this yet? It makes me nervous.

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA