Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Any tsb for the third gear issues for 09 sedan?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

got my third gear replaced under warranty not to long ago
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have they released anything for any current models? I have a 2010 and it seems to pop out sometimes, and even difficult to throw it in third slowly when its cold. The car has 10,000km (Canada) so like 4500miles..
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A Filthy Oar
Have they released anything for any current models? I have a 2010 and it seems to pop out sometimes, and even difficult to throw it in third slowly when its cold. The car has 10,000km (Canada) so like 4500miles..
highly doubt it, but it's still under warranty from what you are telling us. five year, 60k in the US for powertrain.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, first post here. My wife picked up a used 08 Si. The VIN doesn't fall under the range for the TSB, but her car has the issue BAD. I'm talking she doesn't want to use 3rd anymore.
We are the second owner, 73,000 miles, and I was wondering what you all think I should do. Let Honda have it say I have the issue even though it's not under TSB VIN range and try to see what kind of deal I can get?
Car was bought at a Ford dealer from a trade in and it came with one of those retarded aftermarket warranties...the rep said it had to be taken to Ford for repairs (WTF).
I can do the repair myself, don't get me wrong, but if I can get it free or very cheap I'd rather let Honda handle their mess.

Sorry for the novel...let's hear some opinions/recommendations. Thanks all.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Preston Pierson
Ok guys, first post here. My wife picked up a used 08 Si. The VIN doesn't fall under the range for the TSB, but her car has the issue BAD. I'm talking she doesn't want to use 3rd anymore.
We are the second owner, 73,000 miles, and I was wondering what you all think I should do. Let Honda have it say I have the issue even though it's not under TSB VIN range and try to see what kind of deal I can get?
Car was bought at a Ford dealer from a trade in and it came with one of those retarded aftermarket warranties...the rep said it had to be taken to Ford for repairs (WTF).
I can do the repair myself, don't get me wrong, but if I can get it free or very cheap I'd rather let Honda handle their mess.

Sorry for the novel...let's hear some opinions/recommendations. Thanks all.
i'm curious - how many miles did the car have when you bought it from the Ford dealership?

is the Ford dealership part of a larger group that has a Honda dealership under its umbrella? for instance, i have a Subaru and i can have warranty paint stuff done at the local Honda dealer (i trust the painter) because the auto group that has the Honda dealer also has a Subaru dealer and it can be billed through the Subaru dealer to SoA for warranty.

if it does, maybe you can have it all billed through the Ford dealer regarding the aftermarket warranty but performed at a Honda dealer.

regardless, i'd call American Honda and ask to meet with an area rep. or, if you know of a good service writer at any Honda dealers remotely in your area, they can get you going.

they might work something out with you, it just depends.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

She put 400 miles on it...didn't give us any trouble during our test drive or the first few days. It actually surfaced right when I read the TSB, like the same day go figure. I plan to raise hell at the dealer we bought it from, I just want a Honda tech familiar with the issue to fix it, not a Ford guy.

I don't know if they are umbrella'd under any other dealers, I guess we will find out when I talk to them.

We dropped it off yesterday, they want to confirm that it's indeed a gear issue before they say final yes or no...but obviously the Honda dealer knows it and said it won't be a problem. Should have the car back in 2 days after paperwork and everything else. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by builthatch; 08-28-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my 07 sedan back in 5/10 with 27k CPO. The car now has 70k and within the past month started experiencing this. Dropped it off this morning at Performance Honda, and just got the call they're gonna fix everything under my warranty. They never said for sure but I'm guessing they duplicated the problem. I've taken all my cars to them for 6 years now, and I'm glad it was this easy.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by MR Rodgers
I bought my 07 sedan back in 5/10 with 27k CPO. The car now has 70k and within the past month started experiencing this. Dropped it off this morning at Performance Honda, and just got the call they're gonna fix everything under my warranty. They never said for sure but I'm guessing they duplicated the problem. I've taken all my cars to them for 6 years now, and I'm glad it was this easy.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the post good to know that im not the only one having that issue , ill go send it to my nearest Honda dealer, Hands up for the warranty
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Trial User

I hope my dealership offers this because im in need of wanting to get this done.. anyways.. im in seattle, wa and i want to know if i present this as what L-Dawg says they cannot deny this TSB was not out yet and that they havent heared of such a thing.

thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some good info!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a 2007 si sedan about a month ago and it is slowly getting worse. it has 77xxx miles and i bought it from a local ford dealership. what would be the best way to handle this? can i still call a honda dealer and get it fixed for free?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of curiosity, who here with a 09+ Si is TRUELY having the 3rd gear issue where it grinds or pops out? NOT just being notchy like 2nd gear.

Need some more feedback as more time has passed and more 09+ Si's have put alot more mileage on their 3rd gears to see if any are affected..
Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 2011 lx and the synchros seem to be intermittently failing, as it will refuse to go into first regardless of how far down the clutch pedal is pressed. Anyone else with this issue? Car has less than 30k on it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me too
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At what speed are you two trying to get it into 1st gear?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the tranny fluid in my 06 si with Royal Purple. Problem solved.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 07 Civic Si sedan in last December for third gear and they couldn't get it to duplicate, as is the age old excuse. I have another appointment tomorrow morning to have them look at third gear again.
Especially at lower RPM's it will not go into third gear at all sometimes, like it's locked out, sometimes it goes in after a clunk, other times it feels like it's in third, but will grind and kick the shift lever back.
Let's see how this goes, since it is getting worse, I hope they do something about it before it wipes out third gear completely, especially since I brought this problem to them almost a year ago and they said nothing was wrong with it.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i took my 07 si to brandon honda in florida for the 3rd gear issue along with 3 other issues. they had it for two days and said nothing was wrong with anything. when i looked at my odometer they didn't even drive it 1 mile. I called the honda dealer about 50 miles away and they knew about the issue and told me to come in and they would have a rental. i dropped it off yesterday and received a call shortly after saying they are replacing third gear and fixing the other issues under my extended warranty. all i have to pay is my $100 ded!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a used 2007 Honda Civic Si from my local Ford dealer (Lebanon, OH), with 75k miles on it. Obviously it was not under Honda warranty for several reasons. I asked several people at Ford what they suggested I do after showing them the TSB, and all of them said I should take it to Honda and see if they fix it out of goodwill. I suspected that answer but didn't like it.

I asked the owner of the local Ford dealer the same question and instead of pointing me at Honda she said they will do everything they can to fix it. They took the car and got it fixed. The longest part of the process was Ford and Honda working out who would pay for it and although I don't know who ended up doing so, it wasn't me.

My parents, my girlfriend, and her parents have all been loyal customers of this Ford dealer for years now, and my parents are friends with some of the lead salesmen because they knew them before Ford purchased their own lot and hired them on. I'm not sure if what they did for me had anything to do with those existing relationships, but regardless I consider it a success story and wanted to share in case anyone else in a similar cross-dealer situation was afraid they would have to pay for this themselves.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Trial User

so my girl friend and I recently picked up a 07 si
it has this issue and the rear control arms
are these service bulletins still active ?
and are they exempt due to mileage like I've read but I've heard it both ways
Old 11-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about now, but I bought an '07 si in October 2013 and I was able to get the Ford dealer I bought it through to get it taken care of. I'm not sure if Ford paid Honda to fix it, or if Honda fixed it free of charge, but fortunately either way nothing came out of my pocket.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Does anyone know if there's a TSB for the 2009 si transmission? It's hard to down shift into first, and it is hard to shift into 6 sometimes. It also can come out of 3rd without depressing the clutch.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it cold when you are trying this? The first gear shifting is usually best done below 20kms or 13mph if you are in the sunny south...the sixth gear shift is news to me, try changing your transmission fluid if you haven't already done so. The stock tranny fluid is fine, just ensure it is new and fresh.
The third gear pop-out is only if you are pulling hard on a cold tranny. If you drive calmly until the car reaches operating temperatures, it shouldn't happen.

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA