Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Originally Posted by ja20_eg
Would my car need to have that 3rd problem in order for me to take my car in to fix... that problem on the 3rd gear. Lmk about this cuz I want this fix fast.
yeah. they won't fix it if it doesn't exhibit the problem. it's not a recall.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

I read through dozens of these pages and couldn't seem to find confirmed information if it affects 2011 Si's? Im thinking about picking up a 2011 Si and im pretty conserned about this issue. Does anyone know? thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Masterbobo
I read through dozens of these pages and couldn't seem to find confirmed information if it affects 2011 Si's? Im thinking about picking up a 2011 Si and im pretty conserned about this issue. Does anyone know? thanks in advance.
There is really no reason to be concerned about it. Your car will most likely have a warranty, so if the problem starts they will fix it. It's not garunteed it will happen at all. I have 43k on my 07 and havent had the issue at all. You shouldn't let this stop you from getting an Si, it's a great car.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR Rodgers
There is really no reason to be concerned about it. Your car will most likely have a warranty, so if the problem starts they will fix it. It's not garunteed it will happen at all. I have 43k on my 07 and havent had the issue at all. You shouldn't let this stop you from getting an Si, it's a great car.
I see where your coming from. thank for the advice.

But i still really wonder if it teh problem is only for a certain model years, or is it for all 2006+ Si's? cause i wanted to grab an 2011 and wonder if there is a possibility for me to expect that same problem, is any info confirmed about the 2011's? thanks.

PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER ME LOL DOES THE 2011 SI HAVE THE SAME 3RD GEAR ISSUE PLEASE? Im gonna test drive some today and really want to know to know in advance just to know its killing me lol

any info please???

Last edited by builthatch; 02-20-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
MiG-21 superfan

the TSB (not a recall) details the fix for an issue that was prevalent leading up and through 2008, hence the TSB.

i can imagine that if they were installing revised parts in 2008, which they were, and my wife's car got them, that by this point 3 years later they have been installing the revised parts as part of the regular production.

as mentioned, you have a warranty so you ideally have nothing to worry about. if there is a problem, for some reason, it will get addressed, but i doubt there is a technical issue with the third gear set at this point.

cliffs: they addressed this issue 3 years ago, don't worry about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
the TSB (not a recall) details the fix for an issue that was prevalent leading up and through 2008, hence the TSB.

i can imagine that if they were installing revised parts in 2008, which they were, and my wife's car got them, that by this point 3 years later they have been installing the revised parts as part of the regular production.

as mentioned, you have a warranty so you ideally have nothing to worry about. if there is a problem, for some reason, it will get addressed, but i doubt there is a technical issue with the third gear set at this point.

cliffs: they addressed this issue 3 years ago, don't worry about it.
Meaning that your wifes car got them installed before it was even bought or even on sale, NOT afterwords bringing it back for a re-install correct?

I really appreciate your help bro, its nerve wrenching wanting to to pick up a new Si and getting sidetracked by something of such huge magnitude in the driveterain. Thank you again!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Masterbobo
Meaning that your wifes car got them installed before it was even bought or even on sale, NOT afterwords bringing it back for a re-install correct?

I really appreciate your help bro, its nerve wrenching wanting to to pick up a new Si and getting sidetracked by something of such huge magnitude in the driveterain. Thank you again!!!
her car was an '07 bought early in '07, so no, it was fixed after the fact, but what i was trying to illustrate is that Honda really brought the problem into focus about 3 years ago at this point and successfully found a solution and remedy for the problem. so i think that by this point the "good" parts have been part of production for several years now. that would be the logical guess because i haven't seen anything about this issue for any newer vehicles in the past couple years. just 2008 and below.

i understand your concern and i'd definitely try to push it out of your mind at this stage and not worry about it.

good luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Took mine to the dealership yesterday with no luck.They said they cant duplicate the problem.Even though it grinds in 3rd and pop outs.Time to take to another dealer
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i remember when i had this issue, it would kill me when i had to shift to 3rd, thank God Honda fixed it for free.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brian_b714
i remember when i had this issue, it would kill me when i had to shift to 3rd, thank God Honda fixed it for free.
Oh sure rub it in for those that arent getting there crap fixed
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Purchased my 07 FA in December and I've got a little over 40k and it does it to me at least once every time I drive, when it does do it, it feels like I'm locked out of 3rd gear. Have to shift to neutral then try again and it works. Took it in this morning to my dealer with the TSB printed out and they had no issue diagnosing and ordering the 3rd gear set for me. Said it'll take two days once the parts come in, Ill post again once they fix it.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres my update: parts came in yesterday, dropped the car off at 7 this morning. Thought it was going to take until at least tomorrow or friday but it was done today and just picked it up at 630. They used part 23444-PNS-326. All issues with 3rd seem to be gone just from the drive home, no "wall" effect, no grinds, it feels like every other gear now. Glad I got this fix done!!

Last edited by oldB18EF; 03-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here is something I posted from 8thcivic to give you guys hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first post about the TSB from back in April 08 (My 1st Si 07 NHBP Sedan):

California
sasebonian
Name: Jason aka Sasebonian
Dealership:
Pacific Honda
4760 Convoy Street
San Diego, CA 92111
858-694-1020
Service Manager: Bill (Didn't get his lastname)
Service Advisor: Jerremie (Forgot her lastname)
Mods: None, as I'm still stock.
Notes: They were still unable to replicate the 3rd gear issues, but agreed to fix it with TSB anyways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with my 08 Mugen Si (My second Si):
07-06-2011

California
sasebonian
Name: Jason aka Sasebonian
Dealership:
Pacific Honda
4760 Convoy Street
San Diego, CA 92111
858-694-1020
Service Manager: Didn't ask this time. (No need to.)
Service Advisor: Mike Iizumi
Mods: None, as I just bought this one a few weeks ago.
Notes:I was going to speak with Jerremie as she's the one that helped me out back in April 2008 with my 07 NHBP Si Sedan (I was the first to get the third gear fixed at Pacific Honda from what they told me back then, so they did have to order the parts). Jerremie was on the phone with another customer this time, so I ended up talking to Mike Iizumi. All I did was mention that I had an Si and before I could start to say why I was there....BAM! The first thing he says is, "3rd gear grinding?" I'm shocked as he already knew what I was going to say. After that, he said to schedule with him for next week and I did. Come that week later, I bring in my Mugen and ask him if they need to replicate it for paperwork sake. He said nope, "The Si's are known for the 3rd gear. I'll take care of you, we already have ALL the parts in stock so you don't have to wait. Hahahah!" I asked if there was going to be a diagnostic fee if they couldn't replicate it (As another member here said something of that nature recently), but he straight out told me not to worry as he was gonna have it fixed for me. Mike Iizumi is THE MAN! He was a great guy to work with, got me a free rental car so I could go to work and everything was no questions asked when it came to the TSB. I initially wasn't going to get a rental, but he decided to call someone in Honda on my behalf, and I got the free rental. He kept me in the loop of progress and was a really nice guy. They did forget to plug my washer fluid hose back in, but I brought it back the next day and he had it fixed in like 5 mins. All of this was covered by Honda, at no cost to me. That's TWICE Pacific Honda has taken care of me. Woohoo!

-------------------------------------------------------
My 07 Si never had any 3rd gear problem since then. I guess I was lucky. Now when I got the 3rd gear problem in my 08 Mugen, I was very glad to get it fixed as well. For anyone in San Diego, please try Pacific Honda and ask for Mike Iizumi.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed. Just bought an Si Sedan 3 days ago and loving it, but if I'm not deliberate on the 2->3 shift it will pop out. I was hoping that changing the fluid would fix it but it doesn't look like it.

Can anyone comment on my odds with 72k on the clock? I brought it to a Honda dealership for an inspection before I bought and the tech drove it and declared it just fine, but in the last few days it's DEFINITELY popping out of 3rd. If I shift a little harder than I think is necessary it seems fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by phateless
Subscribed. Just bought an Si Sedan 3 days ago and loving it, but if I'm not deliberate on the 2->3 shift it will pop out. I was hoping that changing the fluid would fix it but it doesn't look like it.

Can anyone comment on my odds with 72k on the clock? I brought it to a Honda dealership for an inspection before I bought and the tech drove it and declared it just fine, but in the last few days it's DEFINITELY popping out of 3rd. If I shift a little harder than I think is necessary it seems fine.
hmm, that's a tough deal dude. from whom did you purchase the vehicle? private sale?

EDIT: did you not JUST change your signature? you had vehicles listed and by the time i was done making this post it was some link to a service or something.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, that's a tough deal dude. from whom did you purchase the vehicle? private sale?

EDIT: did you not JUST change your signature? you had vehicles listed and by the time i was done making this post it was some link to a service or something.
lol, yup, just did. I just started in sales at a residential solar power installer and I decided that I would rather have potential referrals than a list of my rides.

Yeah, bought it private party from the original owner who serviced it at a Honda dealership. It's very clean and BONE STOCK, right down the paper air filter.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by phateless
Yeah, bought it private party from the original owner who serviced it at a Honda dealership. It's very clean and BONE STOCK, right down the paper air filter.
hmm, it is hard to say then. you might have some recourse with some sort of good will out of warranty service, or at least a break or compromise on the costs, but 12k is quite a bit over 60k, really. tough set of circumstances. i would talk to the service manager for the dealer where the tech test drove it and go from there. you might want to appeal to the district service rep/manager as well in writing (i don't know what they are called in honda's corporate hierarchy).
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, it is hard to say then. you might have some recourse with some sort of good will out of warranty service, or at least a break or compromise on the costs, but 12k is quite a bit over 60k, really. tough set of circumstances. i would talk to the service manager for the dealer where the tech test drove it and go from there. you might want to appeal to the district service rep/manager as well in writing (i don't know what they are called in honda's corporate hierarchy).
Yeah I sent an email to my local dealer asking about that and referencing the tsb number.

I used to work at a dealership a few hours away so I'm familiar with the goodwill stuff. I'll give them a call and ask how to go about this.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Trial User

I had this issue big time, then I installed the stage 2 short shifter from TMW. All my issues went away have not missed third gear nor any more grinding into 3rd. absolute pleasure to drive the car again.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you had this issue, the short shifter probably is only alleviating the problem a little for you. The fault is in the synchro or the sleeve which is why they swap the whole set out
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fixed mine
Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Trial User

**Fresh Meat** 2006 SI: I am glad that I am not the only one who has faced this problem. Mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the others though. I notice getting into 3rd takes more effort and "focus" than other gears...especially right after startup...tends not to be as noticible once it has been running
Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My new Mugen seems to be suffering from the grind as well, so it looks like I will be talking to my local Honda dealer to get it remedied. Honestly, I am not worried at all. Simply take the TSB in with me, and ensure it gets done.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is a 07 4 door fiji si bone stock and has 76000 miles. i took it to honda for my 3rd gear issue and they said it is out of warranty and they will not touch it. Anything i can do?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Other than appealing to the district parts and service manager or zone office for a goodwill repair youll prob have to pony up or do it yourself. Would have been a little over $1200 at the dealer that did mine if warranty didn't cover it for me.

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA