Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Based on what you described, I don't think it should be that difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd, even in Nebraska. If it were my car, I'd try a synthetic transmission fluid next. (Amzoil is excellent.) You can, of course, take it back to your Honda dealer, describe what you are experiencing, and suggest that they drive your car after it's been sitting overnight. If it's as bad as you described, it's unlikely they'll tell you it's normal. Again, it should not be that difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd.

In any case, I wouldn't try to force the car into gear, any gear. If you had a synchomesh ring in your hand, you'd see how thin it is and it doesn't take much force to damage one. Moreover, since you've had your transmission repaired once already, you can expect that unless the dealership experiences what you've describing first hand, they are going to fault your driving habits. It's not that have it in for you; it's just human nature.

In the meantime, if you can shift from 1st to 3rd without grinding, I'd do that until you can replace the transmission fluid or have a chance to take your car in for service.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Based on what you described, I don't think it should be that difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd, even in Nebraska. If it were my car, I'd try a synthetic transmission fluid next. (Amzoil is excellent.) You can, of course, take it back to your Honda dealer, describe what you are experiencing, and suggest that they drive your car after it's been sitting overnight. If it's as bad as you described, it's unlikely they'll tell you it's normal. Again, it should not be that difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd.

In any case, I wouldn't try to force the car into gear, any gear. If you had a synchomesh ring in your hand, you'd see how thin it is and it doesn't take much force to damage one. Moreover, since you've had your transmission repaired once already, you can expect that unless the dealership experiences what you've describing first hand, they are going to fault your driving habits. It's not that have it in for you; it's just human nature.

In the meantime, if you can shift from 1st to 3rd without grinding, I'd do that until you can replace the transmission fluid or have a chance to take your car in for service.
Im taking my car in tomorow morning because I had problems with my 2nd gear again tonight leaving work

Btw thank you for your knowledge and input sir.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
New User

Hey, I was wondering if there's anyway to make your shifting more smooth. I've never got the third gear pop out on me before but when I shift, it grinds/ not smooth.. I read about changing to amsoil but that where I got lost at. Am I suppose to bring my car to the dealer and have them change it or do I do it myself?? Any help would be nice..
Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Take it to the dealer and tell em what its doing. As long as its under waranty they will take car of you.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know you guys like hearing about this guy and that guy getting it done. It happened to me! The car went in for EPS issues and we mentioned the third gear issue and it was addressed. The car was there for almost a week give or take. Got a shatty loaner accord. My god was that car awful. So far so good, no grinding, no notchy behavior and you could pull it out of third gear (while driving) without grinding as if the car was off.

Though on a more important note. I get the car back and I SHOULD OF CHECKED THE CAR FOR VANDALISM. My HRP '07 Civic Si coupe had damage on it! Dent on a bumper, indentation on the hood and my weathertech shield had a small piece taking out of it. Went back today to see if my loyal car dealership could help me out. They told me how to fix it. Get some touch up paint and buy a new weathertech shield.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM

Good news for me, the dealership was able to replicate my 3rd gear issue and perform the warranty service.

Not wanting to miss the opportunity, I asked what they did to replicate the issue. He said that feathering the clutch just right would cause 3rd to pop out every time. He also said that it took a lot of experience to know just what that feels like. Of course, his technician had seen alot of these cars in already.

I also made a point of getting over to the dealership at around 6am and letting the car cool down until about 9am, knowing that the issue is temperature sensitive.

Hope that tidbit helps any of you still trying to demonstrate the problem to a dealer.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM

i am glad i dont have this problem.. yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by azndalboy
i am glad i dont have this problem.. yet.
from what ive seen if you dont have the problem out the gate you most likely wont have it. sadly i was one of the many that wasnt so lucky
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
New User

I wonder if they will still charge me labor for replacing a clutch, if I show them this TSB? I mean the tranny is already dropped.. and I am eligible for the 3rd Gear replacement. I guess its up to what mood they are in that day.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got an 09, and have been having trouble lately as well, especially if the car is cold and I'm trying to move the car into third gear (rolling down a hill or something) without coming from 2nd gear first.

I guess it's not totally solved.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (builthatch)

dam i have the same problem grinding my 3rd gear....when i punch it i never grind it but when i drive it normal it grinds sometimes....so wat year is the problem? n wat vins?....
Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (builthatch)

Originally Posted by hondak20z3
dam i have the same problem grinding my 3rd gear....when i punch it i never grind it but when i drive it normal it grinds sometimes....so wat year is the problem? n wat vins?....
first page, first post, second line

there is a link for the technical service bulletin describing the entire issue including vin range
Old 04-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look i made a paper weight at work out of 3rd gear sets lol
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAPANMUSCLE
haha

hey, atleast they are finally good for something
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
haha

hey, atleast they are finally good for something
I gotta fab something up so it can hold my business cards lol
I have an odyssey cam shaft i need to turn into something to haha
Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could use those for a door stop also or you accumulate enough of them you can make a coffee table.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K5^
You could use those for a door stop also or you accumulate enough of them you can make a coffee table.
ahhh a coffee table.. brilliant idea! you will be the first in the whole world.
or maybe you should just go blow trannys and use the ruined gears to make one lol
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u get one more u can have a picture frame
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 PM

i had the same problem with third gear... took it back to honda, and it took them two days to fix it!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

I just put my 3rd in under the TSB last week. The problem is fixed. I really experienced the worst issues with shifting/ grinding & sometimes even popping out of third when it only went in half way in the morning on my way to work when temps were between 40-50 degrees. Usually it was going in half way and I'd have to pull it out and put it back in to engage third. Note- I drive a 4dr 07 and have had no problems until this came up, I have 21k on the odometer. Sometimes though you can feel the synchro speeding up when the shift fork goes over it making it feel like a grind in the a.m. too. I would say yes to leaving the vehicle overnight at your dealer to help the techs duplicate the concern. When people come in most of the time their vehicles tend to be warmed up already and sometimes makes it hard to duplicate. Being a tech myself- 99% of the time peoples concerns usually we can't duplicate due to the conditions not being right to make these problems happen. I hope all you out there with the same issue get yours resolved.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just dropped my car off at the dealership hopefully they will duplicate the problem 07 si coupe 16000. i noticed the problem but just wasnt to sure till i read this post . Nice one guys!! Also quick question on warranty does honda require you to get all your maintenace done at them in order for the warranty to be valid. I bought the car second hand with 15000 miles on it?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gerry wood honda in salisbury nc will be fixing my problem they didnt have nay problems with doing it plus it wasnt even as bad as some of the guys on this thread
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

i just had mine done last week on my 07 at vester honda in wilson, nc, and now i have other transmission issues! like 4th and 6th are a little hard to get in and the shifter actually jolts forward in your hand when you let off the accelerator or push in the clutch. they will get their second chance to fix it tomorrow..... and then we shall see.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my 3rd gear set replaced a few weeks ago, and hasn't stuck since. Is it eventually going to happen again though??
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its an updated gear set

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA