Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Sun Visor Settlement (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/sun-visor-settlement-2954444/)

DFW 07-04-2011 03:54 PM

Sun Visor Settlement

I got this notice in the mail with form a couple days ago for the infamous sun visors in the 06+ Civic's. Honda is extending the warranty on the cracked sun visors to either 7 years or 100,000 miles. They will also reimburse you if you paid out-of-pocket.

I'm sure most of you got yours already...if not here ya go:

http://www.visorsettlement.com/

http://www.visorsettlement.com/Porta..._Notice_v5.pdf

The Class Vehicles are as follows:

Originally Posted by
2006-08 Civic:
All

2009 Civic 2-Door:
From VIN 2HGFG1…9H500001 thru 2HGFG1…9H523805

2009 Civic 4-Door:
From VIN 19XFA1…9E000061 thru 19XFA1…9E007094
From VIN 2HGFA16…9H300001 thru 2HGFA16… 9H339069
From VIN 2HGFA16…9H500001 thru 2HGFA16…9H511509
From VIN 1HGFA1… 9L000008 thru 1HGFA1… 9L025282
From VIN JHMFA1…9S200024 thru JHMFA1…9S200060

2009 Civic Si 2-Door:
From VIN 2HGFG2…9H700001 thru 2HGFG2…9H702924

2009 Civic Si 4-Door:
From VIN 2HGFA5…9H700001 thru 2HGFA5…9H704687

2009 Civic GX:
From VIN 1HGFA4…9L00000l thru 1HGFA4…9H001442

2006-08 Civic Hybrid:
ALL

2009 Civic Hybrid:
From VIN JHMFA3…9S000002 thru JHMFA3…9S009285

This is my driver side visor, melted/broke in the heat...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/...afae1cbe_b.jpg

07SIcpe 07-04-2011 04:48 PM

Re: Sun Visor Settlement

Ya I got this a few days ago, luckily I haven't had any visor-related issues, but if I ever do, I'll know it'll be taken care of without a huge hassle.

RICO_ 07-04-2011 05:09 PM

Still not enough. It's a manufacturing defect and they will continue to crack as long as it continues to get hot outside.

They need to redesign the sun visors and issue a recall....that's the right thing to do.

hoangy 07-05-2011 07:50 AM

I've been replacing my visors for the last few years (Louisiana Summers). I don't think they'll reimburse me for all of my replacements (even if I kept the receipts).

10splaya22 07-05-2011 09:42 AM

I got it too but luckily the previous owner put new ones in before I bought it

BryDawg 07-06-2011 10:31 AM

does anyone know how much a new sun visor from honda is with no warranty

hoangy 07-06-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BryDawg (Post 45589800)
does anyone know how much a new sun visor from honda is with no warranty

I get mine off of ebay, they're about $38-39.

BryDawg 07-06-2011 10:38 AM

ever try to go to a junkyard for one?

DeanHondaPGH 07-28-2011 02:43 PM

A new visor is about $65 at the dealer.

bharatparmar 08-30-2011 08:24 AM

Mine was broke and I was just dealing with it... and also trying to fixit somehow myself and the recall notice came... so got a new one from the dealer free of charge. They changed only the broken one, hopefully the other one will not crack open...

DFW 08-30-2011 09:25 AM

I finally got mine replaced. Dealership already knew the problem with them, so I had no issues (out of warranty). Replaced the passenger side too.

hoangy 08-31-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bharatparmar (Post 45929813)
Mine was broke and I was just dealing with it... and also trying to fixit somehow myself and the recall notice came... so got a new one from the dealer free of charge. They changed only the broken one, hopefully the other one will not crack open...

It's eventually going to happen if you park your car outside for extended periods of time (especially if you live in a hot area). I've been learning to deal with it, and I have a way to flip the visor back to it's original position so that I can still use my broken visor.

chelo13 09-03-2011 06:48 PM

mine was repaired under warranty. it happened about 8 months after purchased and has not happened since; i have had the car since feb '08 and work by the beach where there is no parking garage or shade.

C00LBEAN5 08-05-2013 04:00 PM

I never got this notice in the mail! This just barely started happening to me! I just called the dealership where I bought the car but they trying to say they never heard about this and they are trying to charge me. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I try another Honda dealership?

MaZeRsX 08-05-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by C00LBEAN5 (Post 49031435)
I never got this notice in the mail! This just barely started happening to me! I just called the dealership where I bought the car but they trying to say they never heard about this and they are trying to charge me. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I try another Honda dealership?

you can just get a new one at a honda dealer or acura dealer for $35-$45 dollars.

i bought one 2 month ago.

SmarterChild 08-07-2013 11:03 AM

About to replace mine for the 3rd time. :mad:

arhncmh 09-01-2013 04:56 AM

This happened to me several years ago (maybe in 2010). I reported it to my local dealer, which at the time pretended to no know anything about it. I wound up calling the Customer Support line in the Owner's Manual. American Honda Customer Support knew all about it and told me about their "Amnesty" program for this problem (that's what they were calling it at the time). They gave me a few key words to say to my dealer, who after hearing these key words, was instantly cured of this strange case of amnesia. I think it's strange that I never received a letter because my car qualifies for visor replacement under this program. My car is at 92K miles and 6 years now. I'm waiting right until the end of the free replacement period before I cash in. This way, hopefully the visors will still be in good shape when I turn the car in.

My current "fix" for it is a medium-sized metal binder clip (like you'd use to hold a stack of papers approx. 1/2" thick together) and a thin stack of small Post-It Notes on each side of the visor. This works well because it doesn't rub against the headliner and doesn't allow the visor to pop back open and flop down. Fully functional!

Does anyone know of an adhesive that would work to repair these visors? I've done some searching, but no success. The adhesive would need to work as a solvent to the plastic that the visors are made of, allowing the plastic molecules to mix between the two halves of the visor, then eventually cure/harden to form a single plastic form.

Brettster55 09-11-2013 02:19 PM

Yea I got that in the mail too, wondered what it was.

brians356 09-24-2013 08:28 AM

Here is a web site with complete list of covered models/years:

http://www.bigclassaction.com/settle...ass-action.php

And a more official site, with detailed instructions:

http://visorsettlement.com/

Unfortunately, the settlement date was in 2011, so there may be time-related issues at this late date for some class members.

Quote:

As part of the Honda Civic visor settlement, Honda has agreed to extend the warranty on sun visors on Class Vehicles to seven years or 100,000 miles, whichever first occurs. In addition, Honda has agreed to reimburse Class Members for out-of-pocket expenses incurred prior to the Effective Date of the settlement for the repair or replacement of a sun visor or sun visors on Class Vehicles. If you are a class member, you are eligible for a cash reimbursement if:

The Class Member has paid out-of-pocket to repair or replace the sun visor or sun visors in his or her Class Vehicle prior to the Effective Date of the settlement;

The cost of repair or replacement was not previously reimbursed by insurance, warranty, or goodwill; and
The Class Member mails a claim form within two years from the date of the sun visor repair or replacement, or within 90 days of the Effective Date of the settlement, whichever period of time is longer.

freegluten 10-12-2013 07:43 AM

Would love to hear back from anyone on this... I purchased an 06 si two months ago. my fourth honda in 20 years, and I may never buy another. i digress...
my driver's visor just broke, and nearly took out my eye. unfortunately i live in communist canada, and i have a sinking feeling that honda canada has not been held accountable the way honda USA has.
question 1: given that i'm stuck in America's hat, is there anything that honda will do for me?
question 2: why the phuck doesn't anyone in this piece of shit country take honda to task for ANYTHING? (this car is cursed. i've also had the read control arm problem that plagued many. in the US, similar to how the visor situation was handled, a lawsuit was filed, and some people were at least be compensated for tires. in canaduh... f all)

brians356 10-12-2013 09:40 AM

First of all, you're not going to hear f___-all from anyone on this forum, except me. (Prove me wrong out there. ... Louder, please.)

I included several settlement links, you need to follow those leads. And contact your local Honda dealer. If you don't make some kind of effort outside this forum, I guarantee you'll never get anything. You're a wheel - so squeak, a lot.

I don't understand your rant against Canada. And all we hear in the US is about how Canada is the People's Paradise with free everything - once you've paid your pound of flesh in taxes, of course, and don't mind standing in line a long time.

I wish you luck.

Brian

TheMuffinMan 10-12-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by freegluten (Post 49213818)
Would love to hear back from anyone on this... I purchased an 06 si two months ago. my fourth honda in 20 years, and I may never buy another. i digress...
my driver's visor just broke, and nearly took out my eye. unfortunately i live in communist canada, and i have a sinking feeling that honda canada has not been held accountable the way honda USA has.
question 1: given that i'm stuck in America's hat, is there anything that honda will do for me?
question 2: why the phuck doesn't anyone in this piece of shit country take honda to task for ANYTHING? (this car is cursed. i've also had the read control arm problem that plagued many. in the US, similar to how the visor situation was handled, a lawsuit was filed, and some people were at least be compensated for tires. in canaduh... f all)

You're never going to buy another over a sun visor? *roll eyes*

Have you called a local dealership? Have you called Honda Canada?

If you've answered no to one or both of these questions then I'm not sure why you're posting here complaining about something you haven't even looked into yourself. You clearly (from this thread) have documentation from Honda America that it's an issue, contacting Honda Canada or your local dealers would immediately get you your answer of if it's covered or not.

Originally Posted by brians356 (Post 49214014)
First of all, you're not going to hear f___-all from anyone on this forum, except me. (Prove me wrong out there. ... Louder, please.)

I included several settlement links, you need to follow those leads. And contact your local Honda dealer. If you don't make some kind of effort outside this forum, I guarantee you'll never get anything. You're a wheel - so squeak, a lot.

I don't understand your rant against Canada. And all we hear in the US is about how Canada is the People's Paradise with free everything - once you've paid your pound of flesh in taxes, of course, and don't mind standing in line a long time.

I wish you luck.

Brian

Aren't you full of yourself...

brians356 10-12-2013 12:37 PM

> Aren't you full of yourself ...

Yes we are. Better than what you're full of, Muffy.

>You're never going to buy another over a sun visor? *roll eyes*

Missed the part about the "control arm problem," hey?

TheMuffinMan 10-12-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by brians356 (Post 49214312)
> Aren't you full of yourself ...

Yes we are. Better than what you're full of, Muffy.

>You're never going to buy another over a sun visor? *roll eyes*

Missed the part about the "control arm problem," hey?

1) Learn how to use the quoting feature.

2) Please enlighten me to the "control arm problem" as mentioned by the OP

Originally Posted by freegluten

I sure as shit don't see it. I guess you can read invisible text? Or maybe read minds?

Feel free to copy/paste and bold where freegluten mentioned having a control arm problem. With one post and a brand new account he sure as shit didn't post it in another thread.

I'll stand by my original comment about you and freegluten.

brians356 10-12-2013 01:30 PM

Naw, I'm going to leave this as an exercise for you. Try your browser's "Find on page" feature, and search for "control arm". Let us know how you do.