Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Steering Wheel Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Steering Wheel Shaking

I just purchased a 2008 Civic EX Coupe to replace my 99. It has 107k miles. When I hit about 60 mph and let off the gas, the steering wheel starts to shake. I'm not hitting the brakes so it's not the rotors. When I hit the gas the shaking goes away until I lift again. Sometimes at 60 mph it will go away on its own while cruising. I rebalanced the tires and rotated to see if the vibration would move to the back. Still does it. Would a bad CV shaft do this? I don't hear any clicking noise from while turning. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
T
Old 08-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Wheel Shaking

Bump. Anyone? I inspected the CV boots and all are intact. Ron are you out there?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the inner and outer tie-rods?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank for the response. I need to get the car off the ground high enough to shake and inspect. I'll have access to a lift next week.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have your alignment checked, could have bent something
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe yes, it is the alignment.
At this speed (60) usually it is the alignment, and at 70 mph I think it needs also balancing
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not an alignment issue. That would cause the car to pull in one direction. Only a loose steering component will cause a shake. Like was mentioned the inner or outer tie rods or the actual rack itself is most likely the issue.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:54 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxmatt
It's not an alignment issue. That would cause the car to pull in one direction. Only a loose steering component will cause a shake. Like was mentioned the inner or outer tie rods or the actual rack itself is most likely the issue.
About the steering rack theory, wouldn't it be possible to feel play in it with the wheels off the ground if it was the cause of vibration? I ask because I've suspected mine, but everything feels solid and I've even had an alignment shop check everything out. My vibration is more 30-45mph and load dependent.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes,
You can always check also the following, except for alignment and balancing:
  • Tires,
  • Wheel bearings,
  • Axle/drive shaft (maybe old crash of the car)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To follow-up: I was able to get the car up on a friends lift/alignment rack. We checked the lower control arm bushing and ball joints for play and cracking of the rubber with a pry bar. They all are OK. We checked the play in the outer tie rods, steering rack and axles. They are all tight with no ripped boots. Nothing is bent from what I could see. Alignment was also within spec. I'm thinking it might be a botched wheel balance but I didn't think getting on and off the gas would stop/start the shake. I'm going to have a wheel balance done at a different shop and see if that's it. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A wheel balance will not cause the issue you are having. If you give it gas or brake and it goes away it is a steering or suspension component worn or loose. You didn't check the inner tie rods or rack which would be the issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I had the wheels rebalanced. The fronts were out by really bad on the outside of the rim. The tech showed me where he thinks the last person put the double back tape weights on incorrectly. The tape was there but not the weights. Perhaps it was old tape. The vibration is gone. I was totally surprised that this could be the issue but it seems to have solved it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:43 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Glad your issue is resolved.

Sometimes wheel balance or out-of-roundness vibration can vary based on throttle input and braking, due to the weight shifting on the wheels in question. The issue may present itself more at a certain amount of load.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats my friend!
It's nice to hear that your problem is solved!
I had a same problem before a few years and couldn't believe that the solution was so easy..,
also couldn't insist more and be 100% sure for your problem, because each car is a different story..!

So you can enjoy your ride now!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I thought it was important to close the loop on my problem so others could learn. I thought for sure something was bent or loose. I also can't believe those stick on weights actually stay on through NJ winters. There has to be a better way!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drsab2000
Thanks guys. I thought it was important to close the loop on my problem so others could learn. I thought for sure something was bent or loose. I also can't believe those stick on weights actually stay on through NJ winters. There has to be a better way!
Yeah it's definitely good to see and have some closed ends, most of these types of threads lead nowhere because the OP never comes back to post the conclusion.

I have been battling a similar issue all year, thrown tons of parts at the car trying to remedy it. I have new wheels on the way and also wonder if there could be a stiff spot or runout in the tires that the shops have not been able to detect. Might try a roadforce balance when I get em put on the new wheels.

I have found in the past that Honda's are very sensitive to wheel balance and roundness. Maybe because they are light cars, and then we go and put bigger/wider tires on them which adds more weight at a farther point from the axis of rotation, coupled with stiffer suspension translating it into the chassis. Just a theory but I have always had problems with wheel vibrations in my cars and it is something that bothers the hell out of me. Even when it is minor enough that most people probably wouldn't notice it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A car should never rattle the steering wheel in off throttle or transition situations even with a off balance wheel. I've had bent wheels and wheels way off and it will not rattle only at that time unless there is a steering component loose or worn. A off balance wheel is only making the problem prematurely noticeable. I still think there is a worn inner tie rod in or steering rack and the problem will eventually get worse to where you notice it all the time.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

A car should never rattle the steering wheel in off throttle or transition situations even with a off balance wheel. I've had bent wheels and wheels way off and it will not rattle only at that time unless there is a steering component loose or worn. A off balance wheel is only making the problem prematurely noticeable. I still think there is a worn inner tie rod in or steering rack and the problem will eventually get worse to where you notice it all the time.
Idk about this. I have had two brand new CRZ's in the past that I put 17" and 18" wheels on, and even with the slightest out of balance (within spec per the tire shops) on the 18" tires you could feel it all the time.

Same with a minor bend in a 17" rim. I think that over sizing just makes everything more sensitive.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Idk about this. I have had two brand new CRZ's in the past that I put 17" and 18" wheels on, and even with the slightest out of balance (within spec per the tire shops) on the 18" tires you could feel it all the time.

Same with a minor bend in a 17" rim. I think that over sizing just makes everything more sensitive.
Feeling it all the time is different than only feeling it when the weight is shifted of the suspension. A out of balance rotation will not only occur during a transition unless there is a worn component that can no longer absorb the vibration.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Feeling it all the time is different than only feeling it when the weight is shifted of the suspension. A out of balance rotation will not only occur during a transition unless there is a worn component that can no longer absorb the vibration.
That makes sense. What about a vibration that is only present under loading such as acceleration, but not when neutral or braking?

Sorry to thread jack, it's just rare to get any kind of thoughtful input on this subject.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
That makes sense. What about a vibration that is only present under loading such as acceleration, but not when neutral or braking?

Sorry to thread jack, it's just rare to get any kind of thoughtful input on this subject.
From the front that you feel it in the wheel? Sounds like an axle.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

From the front that you feel it in the wheel? Sounds like an axle.
Yeah, I've been told that. On my third set of new axles currently. 2nd intermediate shaft, new transmission, etc etc etc

Ah well.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drsab2000
My wife is having the exact same issue that you described on her '08 Civic (84k), she had the wheels balanced, they too were way out of balance, but balancing all four did not fix anything.
My question is was this a long-term fix for you? There seemed to be some disagreement about whether the wheel balance was the whole problem.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mikee75,
My 08 is still OK without any vibrations since the wheel balance. It has been about a year and I have put on about 10K. I hope you can locate the problem. Vibrations can be very frustrating.
T