Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. thanks man. makes the decesion better. Pro-c
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Call me crazy but check the pic you posted...

Which direction is the front of the car???
I think you may have the front pillowball mount installed incorrectly. The camber markings should go left to right in line with the wheel. Pillowball mount needs 33% turn counterclockwise to correct. Or you could just leave it alone.....your car....good luck.

Modified by sgtmorph at 7:48 PM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
* B A N N E D *

it probably handles worse now
Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NyaaNyaa)

^^^^ retard?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (NyaaNyaa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NyaaNyaa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it probably handles worse now</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it doesn't. It handles phenomenally well.

It would probably be a good idea to refrain from making poorly thought-out assumptions when I'm the one with the suspension....NOT YOU!

I contacted Skunk2 about this.....they said that the orientation of the markings will not affect the handling. It just allows for a greater caster adjustment rather than camber. But the camber is still adjustable without a camber kit....which is how I was still able to get the front camber set to -1.0.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RICO_)

looks good
Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM

RICO_ can you do me a huge favor and measure your rear springs from the centerline to the inside edje closest to the exhaust or measure the overall width of the spring AKA diameter???

THanks i need this ASAP!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: (86punishment)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 86punishment &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RICO_ can you do me a huge favor and measure your rear springs from the centerline to the inside edje closest to the exhaust or measure the overall width of the spring AKA diameter??? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I would like to know this aswell
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM

So, the pillowball mount is MEANT to be used for caster alignment in this case? Every other car I've EVER seen an adjustable plate on, it was used for camber.

If camber isn't adjusted at the strut mount, where is the adjustment on the Pro-C?

I'm thinking the "c" is for Pro-Caster
Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (burnout8488)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burnout8488 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, the pillowball mount is MEANT to be used for caster alignment in this case? Every other car I've EVER seen an adjustable plate on, it was used for camber.

If camber isn't adjusted at the strut mount, where is the adjustment on the Pro-C?

I'm thinking the "c" is for Pro-Caster </TD></TR></TABLE>

The pillowball mount is for camber adjustment. I called Skunk2 about this and took another look at the upper mounts.....the guy who installed them didn't do it correctly....so they couldn't get camber adjustment from the upper mount....but they were still able to adjust the camber slightly.

However I went ahead and had him fix the struts and had them put on the RIGHT way. I then had a second guy from my job double check his work. Sgtmorph is right.....the markings are supposed to run horizontal and in line with the front wheels of the car. So I already had it corrected....although the handling is still exactly the same.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tokyosmash! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would like to know this aswell </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry it might take me a couple days....I've been pretty much bed-ridden with stomach aches that have been killing me so I haven't had a chance to lift up the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review (RICO_)

How was ur drop w/ the Eibach pro-kit? I am considering getting the sportlines was there a rough or bouncy ride w/ the bachs. thx
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review (seeker07si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seeker07si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How was ur drop w/ the Eibach pro-kit? I am considering getting the sportlines was there a rough or bouncy ride w/ the bachs. thx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not bouncy at all. Just like stock. Can't say how the Sportlines will be though because they provide a more agressive drop.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM

I had one more ? about the pro-kit u had before do u have any pics of the car w/ that drop i could look at? thx again.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review (seeker07si)

Sorry no pics. Already deleted them all. But i'm sure you could find some floating around 8thcivic.com or even around here in the Lowering Springs Poll thread.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the pro-c's come with optional spring rates to choose from, or are you only dealt with one set of springs?

[Sorry for the noob question.]
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review (K5^)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K5^ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do the pro-c's come with optional spring rates to choose from, or are you only dealt with one set of springs?

[Sorry for the noob question.]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Skunk2 does offer different spring rates to choose from for this setup. Contact them for specific details.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
K5^
Brand New

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICO_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Skunk2 does offer different spring rates to choose from for this setup. Contact them for specific details. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you sir.

Did you purchase them straight from Skunk2?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
NO MERCY!

Alright guys. I am resurrecting this thread to inform you all of something I noticed with this suspension. While Skunk claims a 1-3" drop front and back.....that is not entirely accurate.

There is some kind of structural limitation that will prevent you from reaching the full drop in the back. I don't know if this is intentional by Honda or just the way the car happened to be constructed. But the most you'll get is about a 1.5" drop i'd say. I have my rear lowered ALL the way and it sits just a shade lower than the top-most portion of the tire.

The front however is fine.....you can slam the car pretty good from the front......but I WOULDN'T ADVISE IT. You will most likely end up jeapordizing your handling among other complications from such an extreme drop. I lowered the front and back about 1.5" and left it at that.

The issue with the rear drop isn't isolated to Skunk2 brand.....I believe most suspension coilover setups will give you the same result. I know Tein claims just a 1.4" rear drop max on their SS coilovers and another member on here had AMR coilovers that had the same issue with the back setup.

Still an awesome setup though. Just thought I'd fill you guys in for any of you who might insanely be looking for a "slammed" setup......not gonna happen with this setup on this car. Just FYI.

If you all would like pics of what I described let me know and I'll take a few of the fully lowered spring perch and the fender gap.....which no longer exists.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review (K5^)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K5^ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you sir.

Did you purchase them straight from Skunk2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

And no I didn't purchase straight from Skunk. I bought them through a performance shop in town which I will never do again.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
K5^
Brand New

In for pics.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam make me want to sell my pro-s to get the pro-c
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
NO MERCY!

Here you go. Max drop on the back. About 1.5" drop on the front. There's no way of telling exactly how much it is so I'm just estimating based on my previous setup.

* And before anybody points out the irrelevant fact that my rear bumper is slightly popped out in the upper corner......somebody at my previous job backed into me and caused that. It's the only visible blemish other than a couple tiny indentations on the rear bumper. I've just been too lazy to fix it right now. And it won't snap back in. So that's that.

Modified by RICO_ at 7:01 PM 10/3/2008
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM

sweet suspension set-up!!!! for rico!!! is that the lowest it could get? and if ever would it be a little higher if ur riding with them 18 HFP and the dunlop summer tires that came with the HFP? maannnn i wanna get this suspension but i only got the pro-s budget... is it a lot different in performance???

Modified by 06CivicSi at 6:44 PM 10/3/2008
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (06CivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06CivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet suspension set-up!!!! for rico!!! is that the lowest it could get? and if ever would it be a little higher if ur riding with them 18 HFP and the dunlop summer tires that came with the HFP? maannnn i wanna get this suspension but i only got the pro-s budget... is it a lot different in performance???

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The back is as low as it can go. The front is only about half way. If you plan on getting 18s then I wouldn't ride this low. The overall tire diameter is larger making it easier to scrape the tires against the fenders in the front.

The Pro-S is good. But there's no dampening adjustment so it may be too stiff for you or not stiff enough causing you to bottom-out depending on your drop.

The performance with this is very nice. Only downside is that this is not your grandmother's suspension. It's pretty stiff....even on the softest settings. My front is only 50% firm and the back is about 30% firm and I had a headache the first couple of days while I adjusted to the stiffer ride.

The ride is much firmer and the handling MUCH better. There is less body roll and more responsiveness in steering combined with the alignment setup I have.

All in all it takes some getting-used-to, but it really is a great suspension.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review

i put them on my car simply to dump the hell out of it. my front lip sits less than an inch off the ground and my ws2 canister drags on every damn bump on the road =]

Quick Reply: Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers Review