Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
this would help with the procedure of installing aftermarket seats.
Not really, the issue with seats is losing the air bag. Loss of the seat air bags stops the other air bags from working. A simple resistor will remedy that. Still the removal of a safety system, and a bad idea for a DD car.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
New User

This information is much appreciated, gold, really hard to find. Now, is there a procedure for disabling the chime when the door is open? I usually leave the door open when I start my car while I put my stuff where it goes because right after I have to go and open the gate, so door open and no seat belt until I leave the gate. It is crazy the way Honda designed this. Why does it has to beep so many times? My 1993 318i is totally silent unless I leave the lights on.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't put the car into gear and it won't beep. Or just shut the door...whats the problem?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for those of you jumping the plug on the seat buckles to get rid of the beeping, remember that whether the seatbelt is being used or not affects how the airbags deploy. you guys are really smart for ****ing with the srs system just cuz you're too lazy to wear a seatbelt .
Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
for those of you jumping the plug on the seat buckles to get rid of the beeping, remember that whether the seatbelt is being used or not affects how the airbags deploy. you guys are really smart for ****ing with the srs system just cuz you're too lazy to wear a seatbelt .
Having the airbags deploy when you're not wearing a seatbelt could be much worse than if they were to not deploy in the same situation.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
Having the airbags deploy when you're not wearing a seatbelt could be much worse than if they were to not deploy in the same situation.
what? did you get hit on the head today or something? 2nd post you've just made that doesn't make much sense.

are you agreeing with my post above or disagreeing?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what? did you get hit on the head today or something? 2nd post you've just made that doesn't make much sense.

are you agreeing with my post above or disagreeing?

Why is it so hard for you to understand things today? My point is very clear.

Airbags are designed to go off with a person located in a seated position, with the seatbelt on. If a person is involved in an accident without a seatbelt, the airbags will probably do more bad than good because they are not deploying in the supportive way, with the occupant at the position they were designed.

You were pretty unclear, so if that's what you're trying to say, I'm agreeing with you. If it's not, you're wrong.

Last edited by 2008fijibluesi; 10-04-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you retarded?

Why is it so hard for you to understand things today? My point is very clear.

Airbags are designed to go off with a person located in a seated position, with the seatbelt on. If a person is involved in an accident without a seatbelt, the airbags will probably do more bad than good because they are not deploying in the supportive way, with the occupant at the position they were designed.

You were pretty unclear, so if that's what you're trying to say, I'm agreeing with you. If it's not, you're wrong.
haha. alright that cleared it up. the airbags will go off regardless of whether the person is wearing the seatbelt or not, but if the person isn't, then they'll go off with more force (at least this is how the steering wheel airbag works). with the seatbelt restraining the person, the airbag needs less force to get the same thing done.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. alright that cleared it up. the airbags will go off regardless of whether the person is wearing the seatbelt or not, but if the person isn't, then they'll go off with more force (at least this is how the steering wheel airbag works). with the seatbelt restraining the person, the airbag needs less force to get the same thing done.
So are we in agreement?! LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So are we in agreement?! LOL
nope. haha. i think that if you're not wearing a seatbelt then the airbags should go off with more force, because your body is then moving faster towards the steering wheel or dash in an accident. i've heard a few stories from friends where they weren't wearing seatbelts in accidents and the airbag was the only thing that kept them from going through the windshield.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope. haha. i think that if you're not wearing a seatbelt then the airbags should go off with more force, because your body is then moving faster towards the steering wheel or dash in an accident. i've heard a few stories from friends where they weren't wearing seatbelts in accidents and the airbag was the only thing that kept them from going through the windshield.
I'm not saying that in every case, the airbag going off is worse. Just some. The airbag could break someone's neck if they are at a weird angle that they wouldn't be in, had they been wearing their seatbelt.

Ehh whatever...I never have to worry about it because I move a car or get in a friends car without putting my seatbelt on.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Road House

It takes a lot to get the airbags to go off in our cars.

Of the two totalled Hondas I've been in, neither time did the aribags deploy.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
It takes a lot to get the airbags to go off in our cars.

Of the two totalled Hondas I've been in, neither time did the aribags deploy.
i managed to set the airbags off in my first integra .

I'm not saying that in every case, the airbag going off is worse. Just some. The airbag could break someone's neck if they are at a weird angle that they wouldn't be in, had they been wearing their seatbelt.

Ehh whatever...I never have to worry about it because I move a car or get in a friends car without putting my seatbelt on.
of course there are situations where the outcome would've been better without airbags, but overall airbags have saved more lives than they've taken (as i'm sure you're well aware of). imo if you're stupid enough to drive without seatbelts then you deserve what you get. after a really close call in my buddy's car a few years ago i've never gotten into a car without putting the belt on.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've only been in one accident where the airbags deployed. In that situation, the airbag actually did no good. It just hit me in the side of the face and gave me a bruise. My seatbelt did such a good job of holding me that I had a bruise diagonally across my chest. But yes, most of the time the airbags definitely do more good than bad, whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 AM
New User

Don't put the car into gear and it won't beep. Or just shut the door...whats the problem?
Well, this is a manual tranny car. The problem is that the beeping is annoying. When I put the key in the ignition it beeps, not once or twice but several times just in case I did not hear the 1st couple of beeps. I am not closing the door or putting my seat belt on just yet because I have to drive a whole 25 ft to get my car out of the driveway, at which point I do put my seat belt on (personal choice). Before I open the gate to my driveway I like to start warming up the engine and drop off everything that I am carrying inside the car, that is the reason for open door and no seat belt ( only for 25 ft). To avoid the beeping I will have to do the following:
1 Drop stuff inside car
2 Open gate
3 Get into car
4 Close door
5 Put on seat belt
6 Start car
7 Drive outside the gate
8 Unbuckle seat belt
9 Get out of car
10 Close the gate
11 Get back to the car, seat belt on and drive away.

My 1993 BMW will not beep if the door is open, if the seat belt is not buckle, or if you just put the key on the ignition with the door open. That is the way it should be.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man...sounds like you'd waste 4.7 seconds of your hectic day putting on/taking off your seatbelt.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Road House

If you don't go above 10mph the seatbelt chime won't go off. You don't need to floor it out of your garage, if you'rev stopping 25 feet later.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't go above 10mph the seatbelt chime won't go off. You don't need to floor it out of your garage, if you'rev stopping 25 feet later.
Exactly, I've driven two blocks up the street to my girlfriend's house and kept it under 10 to avoid the chime.

And the reason your BMW doesn't beep is because in terms of safety it isn't the best anymore - probably never was haha.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Road House

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Exactly, I've driven two blocks up the street to my girlfriend's house and kept it under 10 to avoid the chime.

And the reason your BMW doesn't beep is because in terms of safety it isn't the best anymore - probably never was haha.
Didn't he say it was a 1993? Of course it is less safe. That's like asking, "Why is my computer that was manufactured in 1995 so slow?"
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
New User

There is no added safety from this, people that don't wear seatbelts will get the extra buckle or do this mod. One way or the other they will not wear it, and that is fine it is their decision. For me this is not a fully solved problem as I will like it to be silent when I put the key in the ignition with the door open.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Road House

Are you talking about the ignition beep, or seatbelt chime?

Seatbelt chime shouldn't be going off if the car is parked.

And the ignition beep shouldn't go off if the lights are off.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
New User

Are you talking about the ignition beep, or seatbelt chime?

Seatbelt chime shouldn't be going off if the car is parked.

And the ignition beep shouldn't go off if the lights are off.
True, I guess the seatbelt chime will only goes on after 9MPH, when the doors auto lock. Maybe what I really need is a way to silence it when the key is in the ignition w/door open. Good point that this would be only the ignition beep.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by red7
True, I guess the seatbelt chime will only goes on after 9MPH, when the doors auto lock. Maybe what I really need is a way to silence it when the key is in the ignition w/door open. Good point that this would be only the ignition beep.
just turn the ignition to the on position without starting the car. that beeping when the door's open makes me wana punch babies
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no added safety from this, people that don't wear seatbelts will get the extra buckle or do this mod. One way or the other they will not wear it, and that is fine it is their decision. For me this is not a fully solved problem as I will like it to be silent when I put the key in the ignition with the door open.
Or they aren't aware of Honda-Tech (amazingly not everyone is on here) and skilled enough to do the "procedure" and just put the belt on?

It itself is not a safety feature however it is a reminder to USE the safety feature. Some people probably don't remember/forget to put a belt on, a chime and flashing light will get their attention. Safety is all about layers.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Road House

Well, this is a manual tranny car. The problem is that the beeping is annoying. When I put the key in the ignition it beeps, not once or twice but several times just in case I did not hear the 1st couple of beeps. I am not closing the door or putting my seat belt on just yet because I have to drive a whole 25 ft to get my car out of the driveway, at which point I do put my seat belt on (personal choice). Before I open the gate to my driveway I like to start warming up the engine and drop off everything that I am carrying inside the car, that is the reason for open door and no seat belt ( only for 25 ft). To avoid the beeping I will have to do the following:
1 Drop stuff inside car
2 Open gate
3 Get into car
4 Close door
5 Put on seat belt
6 Start car
7 Drive outside the gate
8 Unbuckle seat belt
9 Get out of car
10 Close the gate
11 Get back to the car, seat belt on and drive away.

My 1993 BMW will not beep if the door is open, if the seat belt is not buckle, or if you just put the key on the ignition with the door open. That is the way it should be.
Upon further consideration...

The vehicle only beeps if the door is open, the lights are on, and the engine is off. If the engine is on, it does not beep.

If the headlights are on, it has the quick 5-beep, "beep-beep-beep-beep-beep...beep-beep-beep-beep-beep...beep-beep-beep-beep-beep..."

If just the parking lights are on, it has the slower, two-frequency chime. "dinng, donng, dinng, donng"

However, if the engine is on, neither of these should be going off.

Do you start the car, turn the lights on, drive ten feet, turn the car off, get out, open the gate, get back in, start the car, drive, turn the car off, get back out, shut the gate, get back in...etc.?

Just let the car run.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure