Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

I have a 2008 Civic and the seatbelt beeper was driving me crazy. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt but like any normal person, I get in the car with my keys in my hand and naturally insert the keys and start the car before I put on my seatbelt. The beeper imediately starts beeping, 8 ear pearcing beeps, or until I can get the belt fastened as quickly as possible, which still subjects my ears to at least 5 or 6 beeps. Something about that particular tone that is so anoying. So, I contacted a buddy of mine who is an engineer at Honda and asked him for the fix. Here it is folks:

-Disconnect the car battery to avoid setting an air bag warning code.

-unplug the three pin connector under the seat, just trace the wire coming out of the buckle to find it under the seat. On my car, the wires from the seatbelt buckle side of the connector were:
Pin 1-Green
Pin 2-Red
Pin 3-Black

And on the other side of the plug, heading under the carpet, the three wires are:
Pin 1-Green
Pin 2-Yellow
Pin 3-Black

- With a short pirce of 18 or 20 guage wire, solid conductor, short pin one to pin 3 on the plug with wires that head under carpet:

1 = NO = Green... short to terminal 3
2 = NC = Yellow..leave open
3 = gnd = Black

Now just leave the connector unplugged with the wire jumping pin one to pin 3 and the car will think that the seatbelt in always plugged in.

Reconnect the battery and enjoy the silence.

Just dont forget to buckle-Up!

Modified by Pegtech at 7:04 PM 10/8/2008
The following 4 users liked this post by Pegtech:
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
NO MERCY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure (Pegtech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pegtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
While wearing a seatbelt 100% of the time is certainly the smart thing to do, as I ALWAYS do, I believe that freedom means the freedom to be stupid, as long as you take responsibility for yourself, and as long as you are not hurting or endangering anyone else. If you dont want to wear your seatbelt, then dont! But if you have a child in the car with you, then by all means, set a good example and wear it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That siren is there for a reason. Some people naturally get in the car and start driving and maybe have alot on their mind and forget to put on the seatbelt. That's why it goes off..........as a reminder.

You don't condone NOT wearing a seatbelt....but yet you've just supplied an easier means for motivating people not to wear it. While I respect your post and the fact that you're just trying to help other members.....I don't agree with your decision to show people how to bypass the siren. That's just giving them an excuse to either intentionally not wear it or to accidentally forget to put it on.

The sheer force generated on a human body from an instant stop from 60+ mph is absolutely incredible. And it can seriously f**k you up and most likely kill you. Yes the airbags are there.....but without the seatbelt you're literally nothing but a ping pong ball inside the car.

That's why in my own personal opinion I would never condone not wearing a seatbelt NOR supplying the means to aid someone else in disabling a major safety feature warning.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM

finally an answer to one of the oldest questions on the forum! thanks noob!

*waits for the seatbelt ***** to arrive*
Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM

loks like i was too late. RICO_ already made it in here. I really dont know why everyone gets so butt hurt over other people trying to disable the annoying beep. 9/10 cars on the road dont have this feature, and people STILL wear their belts.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ AMEN

thanks Pegtech!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Im not sure either why everybody has to play Government and invade my private space. Everyone knows that wearing seatbelts saves lives. We dont need reminders of that. Sure the beeper reminder is a good idea, but change the tone, HONDA! My Chevy truck has a nice, easy-going reminder that does its job and doesn't bother me at all. Why does it have to hurt my head so much in the Civic?
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (SIVIC 3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIVIC 3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loks like i was too late. RICO_ already made it in here. I really dont know why everyone gets so butt hurt over other people trying to disable the annoying beep. 9/10 cars on the road dont have this feature, and people STILL wear their belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry. I'm not "butt hurt" as you so eloquently put it. It's just something I wouldn't do. If it was posted in here that a member died in a car accident i'm sure it would sadden most of us.

If I later found out that he died because he was ejected from his car in a rollover and crushed by his own vehicle because he was in a hurry and forgot to put on his belt and the siren never went off because he disabled it by getting the info from a post I made........I would feel like absolute ****. (Wow....runon sentence FTW!)

Maybe that's a little extreme....but it's possible.

Meh.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM

I take responsibility for my own actions and not for the actions of others. Also, just think of all the people who wont be killing themselves because of that annoying BEEP BEEP BEEP.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Location: In Diamond Bar, CA Brake Boosting like a Mother Focker!
Default Re: (Pegtech)

I miss my seatbelt beep
Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pegtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure either why everybody has to play Government and invade my private space. Everyone knows that wearing seatbelts saves lives. We dont need reminders of that. Sure the beeper reminder is a good idea, but change the tone, HONDA! My Chevy truck has a nice, easy-going reminder that does its job and doesn't bother me at all. Why does it have to hurt my head so much in the Civic? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who came on what public forum and decided to post a how-to on the proceedure to disable a safety device? Im confused

The only reason people want this done is because the really don't like wearing their seat belt, plain and simple. I am never in too big of a rush to put on my seat belt, I mean seriously how much longer does it take to put it on. If you are forgetful it definitely reflects on your poor driving habits.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 AM

when your on the phone and that beep goes off its like murder to whoevers on the other end of that call.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SIVIC 3)

Possible sticky?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Road House

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (RICO_)

When I totalled my EM2, I was not wearing a seat belt. Slammed my head off the steering wheel. Luckily, something in me sensed that it would happen and I caught myself so that the impact was not as bad. So I always wear a seatbelt now.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM

Its interesting that this has turned into a discussion about wearing your seatbelt. The issue isnt whether or not to wear a seatbelt. The issue is that darn ear-pearcing BEEPER that beeps and beeps until you can get your seatbelt fastened. If there was a way to simply delay the beeper until the car is put into drive, then that would be ideal, but there isnt. If you are the type of person that forgets to fasten your seatbelt, then just DONT perform this modification. Freedom of choice is great!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Sweet, thanks.

The stupid seatbelt chime is just DEATH to anoyone unfortunate enough to be talking to you if you start the car without putting your seatbelt on first.

*not intending to start a discussion about talking on the phone while driving*

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pegtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure either why everybody has to play Government and invade my private space. Everyone knows that wearing seatbelts saves lives. We dont need reminders of that. Sure the beeper reminder is a good idea, but change the tone, HONDA! My Chevy truck has a nice, easy-going reminder that does its job and doesn't bother me at all. Why does it have to hurt my head so much in the Civic? </TD></TR></TABLE>

what happened to good old driver's ed... i'm pretty sure i recall them mentioning you're supposed to put your seatbelt on *before* getting the key in !!!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 AM

hahahaha this thread is good.. it's like good vs. evil... i mean wearing seat belt is for your own safety bypassing the tone can make you not wear your seatbelt..

i wish dealership would just have the feature where you can have your favorite song played when your not wearing the set belt instead of the beep... so that everybody is happy.. hahaha
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm confused, which side is good and which side is evil? Is it evil to publish information that allows people to enjoy their vehicles more, gives them the freedom to make their own chioces and decissions, and furthers the idea of free choice and a free world? Or is it evil to impress your opinions and beliefs on others against their will, forcing them to not only wear a seatbelt in their own vehilce, but to insist that they put it on before starting their car, or else endure the anoying BEEP BEEP BEEP? Hmmm. I wonder who is good and who is evil?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 PM

One little question: does this also trick also work for the front passenger seat?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (405hp)

personally, i like that you posted this. many people have asked how to do this.

dont get offended by all the negative talk towards you. we're all meanies here
Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks. I dont get offended at all by people posting differing opinions. In fact, I welcome them. They are very entertaining. I posted this mod because I was searching and searching for it and couldnt find anything on it, except a lot of other people posting the same question. So, I knew a lot of people would appreciate it. Those that dont appreciate it are free to ignore it and live with the anoying BEEP. And those that wish they could censor the internet are free to move to China. Its all good!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (pd0019)

I did the mod to the driver's seat only but now it seems to ignore the passenger as well. I have only driven with a passenger once since performing the mod so maybe it was a fluke but she unbuckled her seatbelt before I even had the car fully parked and no BEEP. Could I be that lucky? More testing to do and will report back.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (Pegtech)

It doesn't immediately beep after they take the seatbelt out, it takes awhile for the car to acknowledge that the seatbelt was taken out.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (av911)

This doesn't have any affect on the airbags or weight sensor does it?

Every day that seat belt chime kills me from my mail box to my house. 10 mph and 8 speed bumps so i don't put on my seat belt.
When I pull up to my mail box i take the car out of gear and start to apply the brakes then take off my seat belt and the thing starts going off immediately even after I apply the e-brake . It only stops when I open the door. Its bad engineering it shouldn't go off at all under a set mph or when the e-brake is on.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure