Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

satellite radio activation

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satellite radio activation

Anyone activate the XM in their civic yet?

My "XM" button does not work for XM. I cannot listen to the demo stations, and cannot get the radio code to get the XM activated. Its strange because the button will switch to AUX, just no XM.

seems like I am missing something...any ideas?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: satellite radio activation (LoudLude)

Are we talking about a nav-equipped car? The non-nav "XM-ready" stereo found on the ex/si (maybe lx I donno) requires additional hardware to receive XM signal.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: satellite radio activation (L-Dawg)

Non-Navi

This is news to me, what additional equipment is needed? Strange the owner's manual didnt mention that.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Well I didn't really think about it at first but "XM ready" has to be different than the "XM Standard" on the nav models. XM ready wouldn't mean "just pay for the service and you're set" or else the "standard XM" on the navi-models would be meaningless. From Honda's site:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Non-Navi: Required XM subscription sold separately after three trial months. All fees and programming subject to change. Subscriptions subject to Customer Agreement available at xmradio.com. XM Ready audio system is pre-wired to accept the dealer installed accessory XM Satellite Radio hardware. XM service only available in the 48 contiguous United States. The XM name and XM Ready are registered trademarks of XM Satellite Radio Inc.

Navi: Required XM subscription sold separately after three trial months. All fees and programming subject to change. Subscriptions subject to Customer Agreement available at xmradio.com. XM service only available in the 48 contiguous United States. The XM name is a registered trademark of XM Satellite Radio Inc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: satellite radio activation (L-Dawg)

good eye, but I still dont get why more details are not in the owner's manual..the local dealership is worthless.
lets try this approach:

Can anyone on here with a civic (EX) non-navi receive the demo XM stations?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Can anyone on here with a civic (EX) non-navi receive the demo XM stations? </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by L-Dawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are we talking about a nav-equipped car? The non-nav "XM-ready" stereo found on the ex/si (maybe lx I donno) requires additional hardware to receive XM signal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you read his post? I believe he said "The non-nav "XM-ready" stereo found on the ex/si (maybe lx I donno) requires additional hardware to receive XM signal."
Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: satellite radio activation (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you read his post? I believe he said "The non-nav "XM-ready" stereo found on the ex/si (maybe lx I donno) requires additional hardware to receive XM signal."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you trying to help? Perhaps you could point me towards this extra hardware. The Honda parts and accessories website doesn't seem to offer it.

Do you have an XM button on your radio? What happens when you press it?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you trying to help? Perhaps you could point me towards this extra hardware. The Honda parts and accessories website doesn't seem to offer it.

Do you have an XM button on your radio? What happens when you press it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I'm trying to help... but it seems you werent listening the first time when someone answered your question so I answered it again for you.

From what I remember, nothing happens when I press it... I don't have any XM products installed besides the radio. Have you tried asking the dealership about this extra hardware or even maybe a place that installs/sells XM radio? I bet one of the two would know.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: satellite radio activation (eL)

Yes I heard him, just couldnt find this hardware online, and the dealership I called was worthless. You would think the owners manual would mention it too. It reads like the car can get XM out of the box. I did notice there is no XM antenna anywhere visible.

I Will keep poking around I guess. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your faceplaye says XM ready you do not have XM you will need to install the xm radio kit. just call a dealer or check ebay
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

get sirius
Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jennifermike)

Or go to http://www.honda.com and build a non-Navi Civic. There's an option in Electronics for XM Radio that is $489 (I think).
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went through this process. You still need an XM receiver and antenna. XM ready means that your current stereo will display XM information (The Channel number, ect). However, you still need the satalite receiver and antenna. Together, they will run about $180.

Try Circuit City or Best Buy.

If you did not have XM ready, you would also need the display which run about $100 to $400, depending on how fancy you want.

Then of course you will need to activate your account using the receiver ID code provided when you buy the receiver.

Hope this helps.