Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Honda Civic LX 1.3L Sedan Transmission Rebuild Kit

Old 03-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic LX 1.3L Sedan Transmission Rebuild Kit

My transmission is nearing the end of its life and I'm trying to prepare for when that happens. I want to take it out myself and then clean it out and replace the internal parts but I can't seem to locate a rebuild kit for my particular model. The only rebuild kits that I can find are for older Honda Civics. I guess the purpose of this thread is to see if anyone can point me (and possibly others) in the right direction when looking for a rebuild kit to buy. I would also like to say that I'm fully committed to doing this all by my self since I would like to take my car to a track one day and possibly install performance upgrades too. I have already downloaded the manual which contains all of the information about my transmission and I'm prepared to save a lot of money by taking a week or two out of my life to do this right.

I need to find a reasonably priced rebuild kit and any other parts that I will need. Once I get it apart I will have to see but I want the rebuild kit, some new seals, and what ever else you guys recommend.

Right now my trans is acting like im pushing in the clutch when I apply to much torque. I have to barely press the gas in order for it to stay in gear correctly.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic LX 1.3L Sedan Transmission Rebuild Kit

I presume it's a manual transmission? If so, the synchronizers and other wear items must be replaced. The fact that it pops out of gear while under moderate to heavy load might indicate that the gears are wearing as well. A rebuild might be more costly than a complete replacement. Try to find a same model transmission from a local recycling yard and get a price for it. If it's less than the parts and labour for the rebuild, then go with the replacement.

Last edited by 97emsedan; 03-12-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Bad typing job
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97emsedan
I presume it's a manual transmission? If so, the synchronizers and other wear items must be replaced. The fact that it pops out of gear while under moderate to heavy load might indicate that the gears are wearing as well. A rebuild might be more costly than a complete replacement. Try to find a same model transmission from a local recycling yard and get a price for it. If it's less than the parts and labour for the rebuild, then go with the replacement.
Yeah it's a manual. Kinda dumb of me to forget that bit of information.

I'm considering swapping it out for a used transmission, however, the idea of all brand new working parts inside of the original transmission is more appealing to me. Main reason is I would gain a better understanding for what's going on inside of the transmission (why it wasn't working the way it should have) then I get to keep all of the old parts as a memento.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me I'd have Synchrotech do the rebuild and just have em buy whatever it needs.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If it were me I'd have Synchrotech do the rebuild and just have em buy whatever it needs.
I contacted Synchrotech and they are working on a transmission for me. I also contacted a local transmission shop and they quoted me 850 for the swap! This is great because I'm going to save some money here and save the transmission shop a lot of dirty work.

I also ordered a new clutch kit and a new flywheel! I knew that there was something important that the transmission disconnects from and looked at some videos on youtube to double check. Ordered them and once I have it all together the transmission shop will take care of the rest.

Also the car I have is 1.8 liter 4 cylinder. not 1.3 lol

Last edited by Adam Adam; 03-22-2017 at 07:11 PM.