Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Rear upper control arm.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear upper control arm.

I own two Hondas, a 2006 Civic and a 2007 Fit, and I have been very happy with them - untuil now. I don't mind paying top dollar for a car as long as I know the maker stands behind their product. HOWEVER, after taking my Civic religiously to the Honda dealership and for the last two years complaining about vibration and strange noises and being told that they could find nothing or that it was just the sound of the transmission or that it was the tires, I found out two weeks ago that in fact it was a defect in Honda's design of the rear upper arm controls. Of couse, they only sent the service notification to the service centers, not to the customer, so if the service guys missed it, and your car is now out of warranty, you are penealized for Honda's poor design, lack of customer commmunication and the service department's lack of knowledge. They want me to pay $500 plus I have to replace my one-year-old tires at $700. I am waiting the hear back from Honda. You would think after the stupid moves of Toyota, Honda would step up to the plate. This a consumer issue, so if I don't get satisfaction, I will write the State Attorney General, they tend to get things done.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM

I ended up replacing my rear upper control arms with aftermarket ones for under 200 bucks, an alignment, and no more problems/worn tires
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MarcAHardy
I own two Hondas, a 2006 Civic and a 2007 Fit, and I have been very happy with them - untuil now. I don't mind paying top dollar for a car as long as I know the maker stands behind their product. HOWEVER, after taking my Civic religiously to the Honda dealership and for the last two years complaining about vibration and strange noises and being told that they could find nothing or that it was just the sound of the transmission or that it was the tires, I found out two weeks ago that in fact it was a defect in Honda's design of the rear upper arm controls. Of couse, they only sent the service notification to the service centers, not to the customer, so if the service guys missed it, and your car is now out of warranty, you are penealized for Honda's poor design, lack of customer commmunication and the service department's lack of knowledge. They want me to pay $500 plus I have to replace my one-year-old tires at $700. I am waiting the hear back from Honda. You would think after the stupid moves of Toyota, Honda would step up to the plate. This a consumer issue, so if I don't get satisfaction, I will write the State Attorney General, they tend to get things done.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=3339

$136 shipped for the rear camber kit and then maybe another $75 for an alignment. forget the dealership.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont listen to the above poster... Do what I did mentioned below. American Honda is good with customers.. Just open a case and compain. They wont cover your tires because they are a wear item. Just be cordial and they will or should cover it.

Originally Posted by PostIt
ASK HONDA!!
I had the same issue, and I went to the local dealer, had the problem diagnosed, and called American Honda. They gave me a case number and it was approved. They offered to cover 75% of the repair cost, before they realized I had purchased the extended Hondacare warranty when I bought the car. Once I mentioned I had Hondacare they said oh, then your repairs should be covered 100%.
I got an entire new rear upper control arm set, they did not cover the tire damage which is fine, but they did cover the replacement of the parts in full. Go to the dealer!!

BTW I have an 07 Si Sedan. Which is not under the actual bulletin, but since I brought up the bulletin and showed the same exact wear characteristics they covered it no questions asked. I just stressed that it is the same exact part on both cars, and I didnt pay $1700.00 for a warranty not to use it...