Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

question about some sort of computer that monitor's shifting rpm points? dont quite know how to sear

Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about some sort of computer that monitor's shifting rpm points? dont quite know how to sear

a friend of mine was talking to a guy about hondas and he said newer honda civics with manual transmissions (my friend isnt sure what year) had some sort of on board computer (im guessing this is part of the ECU) that monitors at what rpms you shift at and then tries to find an "optimal shift point".
the guy he talked to said that you had to "drive the car hard" so that the shift points are at higher rpm's for racing.
i have never heard this from anyone and it doesnt make sense to me due to the fact that it would kind of take away from the point of having the ability to shift at whatever rpms you want.
also when does vtec kick in on the newer civics cause apparently this guy also said that it kicks in earlier like 4300 rpms.

please someone answer this question cause it is driving me nuts!!!
all answers are greatly appreciated
Old 03-01-2008, 05:39 PM

umm the shift point is what you make it, hence the "manual" transmission. you couldn't figure that out yourself? this guy you were talking to seems like a moron.
oh and I think the stock vtec engagement is at 6000rpm but I'm not exactly sure.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: question about some sort of computer that monitor's shifting rpm points? dont quite know how to

If you're referring to the ECU actually RAISING the rev-limiter according to driving style.........NO.....it doesn't do that. It's the same regardless of how one drives.

I believe however the ECU does have the ability to record recent rev ranges to determine whether the car has been over-revved (for warranty purposes of course). But it does not adjust rev limits by itself. You would need a reflash for that.

As far as the VTEC goes......full engagement is at 5800 RPM. That's when you notice the distinct sound in the engine. However the i-VTEC system actually begins working at around 3K rpm. It's hard to notice.....but it's there. Helps with low-end pickup.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Default Re: question about some sort of computer that monitor's shifting rpm points? dont quite know how to

Don't quote me on this but i think i read on 8thcivic, that little red light that flashes when u rev high, adjust to how u drive your car and turns on at different times based on how u drive your car. Thats the only thing i can think of adjusting like others said its manual u decide when to shift.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lostjap89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't quote me on this but i think i read on 8thcivic, that little red light that flashes when u rev high, adjust to how u drive your car and turns on at different times based on how u drive your car. Thats the only thing i can think of adjusting like others said its manual u decide when to shift.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, that little red light come on when you redline the car only.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:03 AM
NO MERCY!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06siracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, that little red light come on when you redline the car only.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually look closer. It comes on a little before red-line because by the time you see it and actually react to it the car the car will already be at redline or possibly higher. These cars rev very fast so the light is gonna come on a little sooner before redline to help prevent over-revving.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICO_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually look closer. It comes on a little before red-line because by the time you see it and actually react to it the car the car will already be at redline or possibly higher. These cars rev very fast so the light is gonna come on a little sooner before redline to help prevent over-revving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct!

But to answer lostjap89, it adjusts in no way. The red light comes on at the same rpms (just below redline) every time.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

the flashing red light comes on at 7500rpm.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (icrashed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icrashed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the flashing red light comes on at 7500rpm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then i must have read wrong my bad

06siracer i said dont quote me lol jk