Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED!

ok, before anyone starts bashing... dont. life is not going the best right now and i am just trying to get by. i was not out drinking and driving last night when this happened. i was on my way out and to meet up with someone. on my way out there i was driving in 6th gear faster than the speed limit and then it just stopped accelerating. so i pressed the clutch in and went to neutral and dropped back into 6th. it wouldnt go. so i pulled over on the side of the interstate and figured maybe the clutch was just hot and needed some time to cool down. well when i tried to go into first and then leave, it wouldnt go. it moved about 6 inches and u could smell the clutch burning.

what could this be? the clutch just shat out on me while driving and now i need to replace it? a shift fork inside the tranny? any suggestions would be extremely helpful. if it turns out to be the clutch/flywheel, i have found a comptech clutch and 9lb flywheel for $679 and i'll probably go with that since its about $30 less for oem. i'll spend the extra for an upgrade. comptech is also reliable so why not.

if anyone has any helpful advice, please do share. if u are going to bash on my decision to drive fast on teh interstate and that is waht caused my car to die, please keep it to yourself. we all beat on our cars but this one just doesnt seem to like it. i was not intoxicated and dropping into the wrong gears or anything of the sort. i was driving (in excess maybe) and it just stopped. so if anyone could please help i would greatly appreciate it.

also, the tranny has to be dropped from the bottom correct? has anyone measured how high u have to have the car jacked up in order to do this?

Modified by 95turbodteg at 9:56 PM 9/13/2007
Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, sounds like the same thing that happend to Tukai except he drives like a grandma. Maybe there is a clutch issue that is just beginning to surface.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (95turbodteg)

arent you the same guy that blew his motor?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, yeah... I remember that, they met you somewhere in the middle on costs if i remember.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (Type X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">arent you the same guy that blew his motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

These cars can take a beating, but only to some point. Quit beating the **** out of yours.. driving 110 mph on the interstate and you honestly wanna try and blame this on the car? Drive it like a normal person, there's a difference between spirited driving and ragging the **** out of your car. Next are you gonna complain when your tranny goes? Seriously, after you've had a blown motor, now the clutch is burnt to hell... and if I recall correctly, you also had your tranny cracked open to fix a gear problem? It's the driver man, not the car.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (elohel)

I take my SI to 110 all the time and always redline my car runs perfect at 24k but thats not the point.

Do you launch alot or burn out etc maybe your clutch just decided to fail finally ?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Driving fast has nothing to do with ragging out a car(although its not safe either). Burnouts and shifting wrong sure...

Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (Type X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">arent you the same guy that blew his motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is if i remember correctly... and ive got a good ****** memory
Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Demonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Demonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Driving fast has nothing to do with ragging out a car(although its not safe either). Burnouts and shifting wrong sure...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Driving fast can be 'ragging' on a car

if there was improper oil changes or low levels, if its done consistantly and the engine was not properly broken in.. gearing and shifting during acceleration to those levels

We have 2 Liter honda motors, driving 110 on a highway causes some strain
regardless if its a "sport model" or not especially when its double a speedlimit.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (95turbodteg)

i personally, cant help you.

but good luck on getting everything fixed.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (Nighthawk R18)

**** happens. hopefully you get it taken care of.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (IGotNoSwap)

bye bye clutch.

almost $700 for a flywheel? fck that!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok yes, people drive their cars faster than the speed limit all the time. that isnt what im talking about here. i dont do burnouts and i dont grind gears and ****. the tranny was cracked open because 2nd gear had to be replaced due to a faulty synchro. not something i had done. yes i am the one that blew his motor from a misshift. the tranny didnt lock me out of 2nd gear when i did the "money shift." yes honda met me halfway after i had to go straight to American honda because the dealer was not willing to even contact them. when they were doing all of this (6200 miles ago) i asked them specifically if i could buy a new clutch and have them install it when they were swappin the tranny over. the dealers response was fantastic... "they arent going to have to swap teh clutch over so that would be an extra cost. and even then, they wouldnt do it. the clutch has plenty of life left anyway." well i'm sorry, if u are removing the tranny and everything to put on a new block, u are gonna have to take the clutch and flywheel with it. i am not taking it ot he same dealer. i have actually been hearing some people today that are having some clutch problems. this wasnt a gradual process. my car was doing absolutely perfect before i got on the interstate. there was no grinding or low life that i could feel. and then all of a sudden while driving in 6th gear cruising it just ***** out? that isnt right. even if i was driving over the speed limit it should not have crapped out the way it did. it could be the throw out bearing just came lose and wont engage the clutch. i wont know til i get it off.

the price of $649 was for comptech clutch and flywheel kit. not just flywheel. i contacted a local dealer and they wanted $534 for an oem clutch/flywheel. my friend is a manager and napa and when i talked to him he said he is gonna try and get em for cost.

the clutch should not have just stopped working all of a sudden. when a clutch goes out, u usually have some warning signs. either way, i'm gonna get it fixed.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED! (elohel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elohel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These cars can take a beating, but only to some point. Quit beating the **** out of yours.. driving 110 mph on the interstate and you honestly wanna try and blame this on the car? Drive it like a normal person, there's a difference between spirited driving and ragging the **** out of your car. Next are you gonna complain when your tranny goes? Seriously, after you've had a blown motor, now the clutch is burnt to hell... and if I recall correctly, you also had your tranny cracked open to fix a gear problem? It's the driver man, not the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Justin is a good driver and he takes good care of his car, not to mention his car has a curse
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ben. u rode with me. i dont drive it fast all the time. i usually drive it pretty conservatively as to save on gas. there should have been some signs of wear before just crapping out. that is why i think there could be more to it that i cant see
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought typically a clutch should last pretty long. don't they usually at least last somehwere around 60k? correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: (Demonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Demonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Driving fast has nothing to do with ragging out a car(although its not safe either). Burnouts and shifting wrong sure...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh.. I beg to differ. This is a civic, not a corvette.. The car doesn't even have the aerodynamics to be going high speeds like you see in a true sports car. More importantly, it's a 2 liter engine, which isn't exactly the type of powerplant that should be pulling a car to 110 mph constantly. But that's not the point - I'm merely suggesting someone that drives there car to 110 mph probably doesn't treat it well in other aspects as well, since going triple digits on a public road is already risky enough.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TokyoSmash! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Justin is a good driver and he takes good care of his car, not to mention his car has a curse </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but you're young and naive if you beleive a good driver hits 110 mph on a public road!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: (elohel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elohel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry, but you're young and naive if you beleive a good driver hits 110 mph on a public road!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut up Elohel, you dont know me and I am far from Naive. Justin is a pretty calm driver, albite he has made his mistakes but so has everyone else. Since his baby is on the way he has slowed down more then enough. The point is that he drove fast for once, **** broke. Give him a break. And just a suggestion: Never judge someone you have never met, that shows ignorance.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

an interstate that is empty isnt what i would figure to be as hazardous as a crowded intersection. i may have been goin fast, but i see people in all kinds of cars going triple digits whenever i go on road trips. as for maintainence, the car has had every service check up and scheduled oil change. i wash my car as needed and wax it and buff it. i take very good care of the car. i may drive it fast sometimes, but i'm not alone. just because YOU feel a certain way doesnt mean that tons of people dont do it. not everyone can make it to the track every week to drive fast on a closed course. and i have seen 2 liter engines hitting 150+mph. sleeved or not, still going well above 110. and if the car tops out at 135, they should exactly list it as a sporty car and then expect people to drive 65mph on an interstate where the speed limit is 70 and never push the speed up.

and ben is not naive for thinking im a good driver. he has been in my car with me when he was in town. so i would figure his statement came from personal experience, not just something he read on the internet. but thx for dropping in ur input. ur point has been made. have a good night.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: (95turbodteg)

I don't need to KNOW anyone, nor does going 100+ mph on a road justifiable because other people do more.

I stand by what I said - your age shows when you think driving triple digits on a public road (empty or not) constitutes a safe driver. Why do I need to know you to make that judgement?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plenty of places in the world where people drive 100+ during their daily commute. There is a whole world outside NA and I doubt the engines are any different...

Did they replace/rebuild the tranny with the new engine?

edit: LOL why do you say "not drinking & driving?"
Old 09-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AussieR)

Who cares if you were doing a buck ten on the interstate. The fact of the matter is you blew your clutch. You could have been doing 10mph on a residential street and the same thing "could" have happened. Its just the timing. But look at your track record here, blown motor, blown tranny(2nd gear syncros whatever) and now blown clutch. Could be a lemon but i doubt that. Change your driving habits or get a different or dont complain when **** breaks. Your car is a reflection on YOUR driving, 99% of the time.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: (Michael Bolton)

I don't know about the driving fast thing but they have 2.0s in Europe doing 110 to 130 everyday on the autobahn. my buddies friend has a srt4 **** box running 174 on the autobahn all the time. I have trouble with my tranny and Im not abusing it 2nd and 3rd grind when merging. im a grown man i will be 30 next month with a wife and child so I need to drive safe so I can get home to the family. I DON'T LIKE THIS TRANNY.. I think that the problem is HONDA this is the 3rd civic I have owned and my last one sits on the side of my house (97 CX) with a messed up trans. granted I got it used so I don't know how it was driven before I got it. botom line is people that abuse ther cars have to spend money and if they dont have it to spend than thay need to change something.

Modified by hondamanforlife at 5:33 AM 9/14/2007
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elohel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't need to KNOW anyone, nor does going 100+ mph on a road justifiable because other people do more.

I stand by what I said - your age shows when you think driving triple digits on a public road (empty or not) constitutes a safe driver. Why do I need to know you to make that judgement?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In that case NONE of us are safe drivers (including you Elohel).

Just cuz someone drives fast once in while does mean they are not a safe driver. Even the safest driver you think you know has pushed some car to "Dangerously High Speeds" at some point.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondamanforlife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamanforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">botom line is people that abuse ther cars have to spend money and if they dont have it to spend than thay need to change something.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: the problems keep on coming. CLUTCH DIED!