Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

PCV Valve cleaning, throttle body, maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV Valve cleaning, throttle body, maintenance

I have been watching some YouTube videos and have been wanting to do some "cleaning" just to keep my car running as well/efficient as possible. My 2008 Civic LX automatic has 75,000 miles. I was going to clean the throttle body and I had a few questions on the PCV valve, MAP sensor, EGR valve, and MAF sensor.

I was going to clean the throttle body, should I unplug the negative terminal before doing it? If someone could explain why I should/should not, that would be helpful. I was going to spray a microfiber cloth with CRC brand Throttle body cleaner and then wipe the throttle body while my gf presses down the gas pedal. Will my car's computer be messed up and not run properly after I clean the throttle body? How do I fix that? (Reset the TPS??)

I saw a video where someone replaced the PCV valve. It seemed simple so I was thinking of replacing it. Or should I just remove it and spray clean it? I saw a PCV valve at autozone.com for only $4.99, so I figured it's cheap enough to just replace. Or is one from AutoZone crap and I should buy a more expensive one? I have washers from changing my automatic transmission fluid, is this the same washer I would use if I replace the PCV valve? What spray should I use if I should just spray clean it?

I also saw a video where someone sprayed clean the MAP sensor. Is this necessary? What spray should I use for this? Can I use the CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner like the guy does in the video?

There are videos showing cleaning of the EGR valve. I was going to buy a new gasket and then try to remove and clean my EGR valve. Can I use the CRC throttle body cleaner? Any tips?

I sprayed clean my MAF sensor last year with CRC brand mass air flow sensor cleaner. How often should the MAF sensor be cleaned?

If anyone has any other tips or items that I should address to keep everything running smoothly, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by joenobodyyet; 11-01-2018 at 01:07 PM.