OFFICIAL WTB/Looking at/Pricing an 8th Gen Civic - Page 4 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

OFFICIAL WTB/Looking at/Pricing an 8th Gen Civic

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOOB...about to purchase an 08 SI...

Somethings not right with your Tacoma. Even with a 4.0 V6, you should be near 20mpg highway. Are you running 33's? My Double Cab 4x4 averaged 21 mpg highway.

Anyway, I guess if you trust your mechanic, you should get it. Regarding stock wheels, check your local craigslist. I see them pop up regularly.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Somethings not right with your Tacoma. Even with a 4.0 V6, you should be near 20mpg highway. Are you running 33's? My Double Cab 4x4 averaged 21 mpg highway.

Anyway, I guess if you trust your mechanic, you should get it. Regarding stock wheels, check your local craigslist. I see them pop up regularly.
I have a 4.0 6spd manual...which gets significantly less MPG highway than the Autos...
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't bank on the warrenty too much. A car with a modded ECU (Flashpro) is usually grounds to void the warrenty. besides all that, you have two options that may or may not bte you in the ***.

1: The ECU is flashed with a reflash. The reflash is part specific. Say you get the car and get rid of the parts. You may have to come outta pocket to get the ECU reflashed back to stock. If not, then you may have some drivability issues without the flash.

2: You have a Flashpro map on the car. The issue with this is that who ever came off the car most likely privately sold the Flashpro. If that's the case, then you will have a hellova time trying to get the car to read another Flashpro unit (if you decide to get one). Not only that, you don't know what kind of map or what kind of tune was done on the car.

I would ask the dealer what kind of "Hondata Computer" they are talking about. Personally, I wouldn't feel to comfortable about getting a modded car. All the mechanic skills in the world won't be able to counter a bad tune on the ECU. Unless you change the ECU out, then have at it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying/Thinking about Buying an 8th Gen Civic

DELETE

Last edited by jjmajed; 08-19-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Apparently The previous owner was a "head mechanic" at some type of shop? They have his contact info...I might try to get intouch with him to get some info if i do buy this thing.

Another SI owner friend of mine said that the "Hondata computers" were usually pretty reliable and reputable company... I just am not as familiar with them...I have dealt with new mapping and programming in my Mustang and motorcycles...Just never for a civic...

It seems like the Flashpro computer is the same idea as a Power commander for a motorcycle...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sweetdeal View Post
Apparently The previous owner was a "head mechanic" at some type of shop? They have his contact info...I might try to get intouch with him to get some info if i do buy this thing.

Another SI owner friend of mine said that the "Hondata computers" were usually pretty reliable and reputable company... I just am not as familiar with them...I have dealt with new mapping and programming in my Mustang and motorcycles...Just never for a civic...

It seems like the Flashpro computer is the same idea as a Power commander for a motorcycle...
Sweet *** sweet. Get with the previous owner ASAP and pick his brain about what was done to the car. That's a lucky break there. Now your next step is to not talk to the dealer about anything mechanical in terms of the car. You have access to the guy who built it.

And your friend is right. Hondata is very reliable, when done properly.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jjmajed View Post
I'm going to see this car tomorrow.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2020319922.html

Is there anything I should be aware about concerning the civics made in 2006?
Good price. If your serious about buying make sure you do a carfax and autocheck report. Also, take a mechanic if you know one.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Trial User

Default Need 06-08 Buying Advice/Opinions

Hello,
I need to replace my wife's 98 Civic that was totaled out. We are looking at a 06-08 civic either lx or ex with a manual transmission. The manual transmission part seems to be giving us a bit of grief, finding them is few and far between. An Si would solve the issue, but not looking for the extra cost (up front/insurance wise/premium gas) associated with it. So here are the questions...
Should I just break down and forget the manual to get a larger sample size?
Is this considered the "best time" of the year to buy, or is there a time that would be better in terms of getting the best deal?

Also we did find a 08 clean lx (manual transmission) with 40K for $12,500 is this a good deal? Can anyone with tan interior give me some insight as to how much attention it requires to stay clean?

Thanks for the time and comments folks...have a happy thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are tons of manual civics out there I can't see why you are having trouble finding one.

You don't have to use premium fuel in the si I don't I get 30 mpg in town which is where most of my driving is done.

The best time to buy any car is after the holidays car lots die in jan and stay dead well into march.

I paid 16.5 for a new 07 lx manual coupe new in 07, and I don't think civics went up that much since 07 so I think 12.5 is too much for a car with a few winters all ready into it.

You will get better financing on a new car and if you can find a leftover about 2 grand off the price on an ex, you do get less off the lx.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need 06-08 Buying Advice/Opinions

Originally Posted by wiimonster View Post
Hello,
I need to replace my wife's 98 Civic that was totaled out. We are looking at a 06-08 civic either lx or ex with a manual transmission. The manual transmission part seems to be giving us a bit of grief, finding them is few and far between. An Si would solve the issue, but not looking for the extra cost (up front/insurance wise/premium gas) associated with it. So here are the questions...
Should I just break down and forget the manual to get a larger sample size?
Is this considered the "best time" of the year to buy, or is there a time that would be better in terms of getting the best deal?

Also we did find a 08 clean lx (manual transmission) with 40K for $12,500 is this a good deal? Can anyone with tan interior give me some insight as to how much attention it requires to stay clean?

Thanks for the time and comments folks...have a happy thanksgiving
your going to have a really hard time finding an ex manual. it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to find one. they told me they really only make them towards the beginning and end of the body style (for the ex). the theory was that if people wanted manual ex for almost the same money that person would probably more rather have the si.

lx though is a different story and you should probably be able to find one easier
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by bee guz View Post
They are tons of manual civics out there I can't see why you are having trouble finding one.

You don't have to use premium fuel in the si I don't I get 30 mpg in town which is where most of my driving is done.

The best time to buy any car is after the holidays car lots die in jan and stay dead well into march.

I paid 16.5 for a new 07 lx manual coupe new in 07, and I don't think civics went up that much since 07 so I think 12.5 is too much for a car with a few winters all ready into it.

You will get better financing on a new car and if you can find a leftover about 2 grand off the price on an ex, you do get less off the lx.
you don't have to put premium in a SI? I was always under the impression it was necessary...are there any long term drawbacks to using regular gas?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wiimonster View Post
you don't have to put premium in a SI? I was always under the impression it was necessary...are there any long term drawbacks to using regular gas?
do one or the other

you might get a little bit worse gas mileage with the regular so all in all you pay a little more for gas. it evens out in the end so just use premium youll get the better performance and no knock
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Year choice for Si (need advice)

New job and new money! Hoping to upgrade and sell my EM2 and get a si or maybe something else.

My em2 is in great condition and its resell value is pretty good, good enough for a good down payment.

Now, the reason why I had my heart set on one of the newer Si's was because I looked through the members photos and I was AMAZED at what some people did with their Si's. I was especially blown away by a couple of the white ones.

Okay, my real question is, what year should I look for? Are there any major differences between the years, and if there is which one is better or worth the money.

I really wanted an AWD car like the ralli-art or WRX. But the ralliart is expensive and hard find, and right now I'm really debating on wether to search for a wrx or Si. Opinions in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

And for my final question. How well do these 8th gen si's engines respond to aftermarket parts. My em's performance gains were almost non-existant. So I hope it's not the same issue with this year of civics. =/

Help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Year choice for Si (need advice)

It's all what you'd prefer.

I too will be looking for an SI coming up shortly!! And i have a friend/co-worker that just bought a brand new wrx wagon. Overall difference in price between 2011 si and 2011 wrx about 3-4 grand.

The wrx will be substantially faster and handle obviously better in the snow. 0-60 about 4.6 secs
The SI will cost less and be easier on your wallet when filling up. and their still a great sport coupe. 0-60 about 6.5 seconds

I'm hoping for a 2011 si but i'm fine with a low mileage 2009/10.

I know this isn't a great deal of help but good luck with whatever you get.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please just stay away from 7th and 8th gen Civic's. You can do so much more with 6th gen and older civic's, save lots of money and they look better. Or if you want to spend around what an 8th gen civic would cost, you could get much better cars for around the same price.

Other cars I'd look at if you're willing to spend 15-20k.
-AP2 S2000, you can find them in excellent condition for around 15k
-04, or years around that, Subaru STi for around 15k
-04, or years close, Mitsubishi Evo for around 15k.

And if you're willing to spend 20+ for a Civic, you can get a lot more better cars for similar price, namely the 370z for around 25-26k used.

Just saying, not sure why anyone would buy a brand new civic for more than 15,000.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ he just said that his em had no gains...why are you recommending him to get another 6th gen?

secondly there are many things that are nice about the new civics. interior is much better than previous civics, you get the reliable K series motor, lsd, great mpgs, etc etc. you can add those to your em, ej, ek if you want but you have no warranty and you have the down time as well. to some people, that is not worth it.

he also said he is amazed by what people have done to their fa/fg's. so obviously he likes this design.

if you really are considering the SI's, i would just stay away from the 06 model. look at 07+ models.

why would you invest so much money into your 6th gen just to have it stolen.... that makes no sense to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pd0019 View Post
^ he just said that his em had no gains...why are you recommending him to get another 6th gen?

secondly there are many things that are nice about the new civics. interior is much better than previous civics, you get the reliable K series motor, lsd, great mpgs, etc etc. you can add those to your em, ej, ek if you want but you have no warranty and you have the down time as well. to some people, that is not worth it.

he also said he is amazed by what people have done to their fa/fg's. so obviously he likes this design.

if you really are considering the SI's, i would just stay away from the 06 model. look at 07+ models.

why would you invest so much money into your 6th gen just to have it stolen.... that makes no sense to me.
relax, he also said he was looking at other cars so I was throwing my opinion out there.

You do things to your car because you like to, not to think about, "hey, ONLY this car will get stolen, not the newer one's!!!"

EM=7th gen=start of downfall for civics, that's why I said 6th gen or earlier. Cheaper, a few $$$ can look better and be faster than any newer civic.

Again just my opinion. If he wants to say something about my post let him, don't be his parrot.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Im gonna get an Si! just have a few quick questions please..

Im thinking about getting an Si. I would really appreciate it if some of the experienced posters could "school me" in a sense about teh Si. Pros and cons. Casue i know its a great car and the K is amazing in it, but i really wanted to know about anything to worry about, like inherent problems. If i was to buy one it would be an 2011 Si,

I would really appreciate any info, thank you!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna get an Si! just have a few quick questions please..

Lots of service bulletins EX: 3rd gear grind/Aux jack/P2610 code/ the paint chips easily.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by InTheZoneAC View Post
please just stay away from 7th and 8th gen Civic's. You can do so much more with 6th gen and older civic's, save lots of money and they look better. Or if you want to spend around what an 8th gen civic would cost, you could get much better cars for around the same price.

Other cars I'd look at if you're willing to spend 15-20k.
-AP2 S2000, you can find them in excellent condition for around 15k
-04, or years around that, Subaru STi for around 15k
-04, or years close, Mitsubishi Evo for around 15k.

And if you're willing to spend 20+ for a Civic, you can get a lot more better cars for similar price, namely the 370z for around 25-26k used.

Just saying, not sure why anyone would buy a brand new civic for more than 15,000.
yeah; s2ks, stis, and evos totally cost the same as an 8th gen si of the same year and mileage .
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd View Post
yeah; s2ks, stis, and evos totally cost the same as an 8th gen si of the same year and mileage .
He never said that in his post, in fact he specifically stated 04. Read before you post.

To the OP, if I were in your shoes I try and find a certified preowned 06+ WRX. Or even with the amount of money you would be putting out for a new car go out and buy 2 used cars over a few months, one that's really good on gas and functional for a daily and one for a project. Then enjoy not having a car payment.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_WHR View Post
Lots of service bulletins EX: 3rd gear grind/Aux jack/P2610 code/ the paint chips easily.
Oh really? even for 2011's? I thought that problem was only for 06-09? Is the 3rd gear grind on a service bulletin for all Si's? and whats the p2610 code? althogh the 3rd gear issue really has me worried =/ more info please
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try this site out:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

I found it shopping CR-V's and Escape Hybrids. It's comprehensive with year-to-year changes.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryank327 View Post
He never said that in his post, in fact he specifically stated 04. Read before you post.

To the OP, if I were in your shoes I try and find a certified preowned 06+ WRX. Or even with the amount of money you would be putting out for a new car go out and buy 2 used cars over a few months, one that's really good on gas and functional for a daily and one for a project. Then enjoy not having a car payment.
the cars he mentioned would be much older and higher miles than an si for the same price.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The transmissions have problems, just google 2006+ Civic SI 3rd gear... if you want info specific to that issue go on 8th gen civic forums and check there... loads of info on the issues.

I so far regret nothing about getting my SI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL WTB/Looking at/Pricing an 8th Gen Civic

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: