Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
A lot of people are using the A2 oil pump. I still haven't made the change yet but will probably have to at some point. Also going R compound tires will help cause oil starvation as the cornering speed with be much great so the force of movement will also.

Glad to see you track your car also!

What do you have done?
Thanks, I noticed a difference in oil starvation going from street tires, to street/competition RE-11's. Want to add the safety of the baffled pan and modified oil pump.

Engine/Performance Modifications
Full Race Exhaust
Skunk2 Mega Power Header
Tractuff Shaved, Ported RBC
Tractuff Water Bypass
J37 Throttle Body
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
RDX Injectors
Hasport 70a Full Mounts (Chrome)
Spoon Carbon Kevlar Spark Plug Cover
Spoon Reservoir covers
Spoon Oil Cap
Mugen Radiator cap
Passwordjdm Battery Relocator
Hybrid Racing Shifter Cables
Hybrid Racing Base Bushings
Hybrid Racing EM1 CMC
Hybrid Racing CAI
Hybrid Racing Radiator Hoses (Black)
Drive shaft shop level 0 axels
Competition Clutch 1.5
Competition Clutch Flywheel
Odysey Battery
Hamp Oil Filter

Wheel/Suspension Upgrades
Mugen GP's (Magnesium Blue)
Mugen Lug Nuts
Bridgestone RE-ll's 235/40/18
BC racing Coilovers
Buddy Club Rear Camber Arms
Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines

Exterior Modifications
2009 Front End Conversion
HFP Front Lip
HFP Rear Lip
Passwordjdm Carbon Kevlar Duct
Mugen Front Tow Hook
Mugen Rear License Plate Bolts
5000k Hids
Yellow driving lights
Front and rear Type R badges

Interior Modifications
Modified GD3 fit shift boot
Mugen Carbon Fiber ****
Circuit Hero Shift Extender
Hybrid Racing Shifter Assembly
Status Ring Seat (Driver)
Recaro Pole Position (Black)
Schroth Pfofi II-6 Hans belt for driver
Schroth Clubman III for Passenger
PCI Seat Brackets
Works Bell short hub
NRG V2.5 Quick Release
Spoon Sports Gen2 Wheel
Custom Roll Bar Powder Coated Black
Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Kimsey099;50033493]What size wheels you guys running on the cars ? I was figuring once I get my new 4dr si that I would want 17in wheels for the track. Curious to hear what you guys use.

I am running 18 inch Mugen wheels with a 235/40 RE-11 Tire. Wanting to switch back to a 17x8.5 to run a 245/40
Old 11-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you ever used RS3 tires ? They are amazing , not to mention they last between 6-10 track days depending on how you drive. Grip is top notch for the price.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up my 2015 dyno blue Si 4dr. Can't wait to take it to the track :D. It was hard to find but after going all across socal got one as soon as it came off the truck lol.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kimsey099
Have you ever used RS3 tires ? They are amazing , not to mention they last between 6-10 track days depending on how you drive. Grip is top notch for the price.
My wife runs RS3's on her hatch. Those are also great tires. I ran the RE-11's when we were living down in FL because they are pretty good in the rain, where as the RS3's aren't. I may try NT01's next.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the purchase! I also have a DB color. Such a great looking car!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Day time pic lol , first mod is gonna be wheels forsure not a huge fan of the stock ninja wheels lol. Team dynamics or rpf1s hmmm lol
Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS3 are great tires and so are the ZII...

I'm still debating on which tire to go with as also the Rivals are pretty good too.

Running street class so I won't be able to go with a full Rcomp tire yet!

Teg24 what is your brake setup? What pads are you using?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use RS3 Mainly because their hot weather performace is much better than a ZII but since you are in the great white north I could see a ZII working better for you since it beats the RS3 in tests when weather is 60 and below. But I live in southern California , it's NOV and it was 90 degrees today. Thus why I choose rs3
Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi you all, good thread here. I'm thinking of buying an 06 Si for a daily/track day car next season.

My wife would be driving some on and off too on the street so I don't really want to lower it or put anything aggressive on it. How do these handle with just a good rear sway bar and good rubber? Last FWD I drove was a bone stock Mazda3 with Nitto NT01s and it was a blast and I would assume the Civic would have better suspension under it stock for stock.

I am a little concerned about the oil starvation mentioning as I would probably run NT01s again or another R comp. My home track is Road Atlanta so it's pretty high speed.

I posted about buying one over in the road race section but someone mentioned this thread so I figured I would come here. I am deciding between a Miata, BMW, or one of these. I had an RSX in mind but after more research decided no. I just like the idea of a nice reliable fairly practical daily that is fun on track every now and then. I'll be racing a few other cars next season so don't need to worry too much about making this a full on track car. Mainly reliability is key.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9th gen is def better than a DC5 chassis, 24mm sway bar and some koni-yellows with swift sport springs would be good for DD and track duty. It does not lower the car much and is a spring that actually has a spring rate not just a lowering spring. I would look at investing in a baffled oil-pan just for safety to make sure things are tip-top shape. If you have a lot of experience tacking and using R-comps it would be a good idea.

also compared to a miata its a much better daily , you have HUGE trunk and comfy ride that can fit 4 people. I would suggest the 4dr over the door as it has a better chassis. You can look into the FD2 type R and use what honda put on that for a base set-up.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kimsey don't complete agree with everything you said...

Main reason why you would go with the Si over the RSX is because of the stock LSD! That is a huge gain on the track.

First he is looking at 8th gen not 9th gen so it's a little different.
Also 24mm rear swaybar is way too aggressive for street driving. Certainly if he and his wife are both planning on using it as a daily! Going into a corner or round about the rear end could easily come out. 22mm is the best combo for street and track... If it's a dedicated track car/weekend warrior I would go 24mm but not if it's going to be driven on the street as a daily.

A suspension upgrade would be nice but most importantly if you want to get the car to rotate properly you will need a camber kit. Both the 8th gen and the 9th gen are way too neutral from stock. Having -2.0 degrees of camber in the front and -1.0 in the back will waken the car up and it will have a nice and more sharper turn in. This is a middle setup which is a little more aggressive but will make the car much more fun to drive.
I'm actually running -3.0 in the front and -2.0 in the back and I daily it also.

Also FD2 and FA5 have a different suspension setup so you can exactly copy it.

One thing to consider is also good brake pads like some HP+, some good brake fluid like Motul RBF600 and some SS braided brake lines. This will make a huge difference in how much fun you will have certainly depending on your rubber you are using.

As for the tires I would look at RS3, ZII and the Rivals. The compound is very sticky and is good for track days and street driving. You won't need a baffled oil pan unless you are running major suspension mods with R comp tires. Even just with Rcomps you will be limited to how much you can really push in the corners due to the stock suspension. I wouldn't be very concerned certainly starting it off as you will be getting use to the car more then anything in the beginning.

Honestly what I would suggest to beginning with is getting a good set of tires, good pads/rotors, SS braided lines and brake fluid. Obvious oil change and tranny oil change and go out and have fun.
If you find you want to push a little more in the corners then look at upgrading your suspension. Rear sway bar can wait as the 19mm one that is on there now is enough. Better springs and shocks will do wonders as well as the camber kit with a good alignment.

If you need any help with alignment settings post up in here always happy to give my advice as I've tried many different settings this summer.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My mistake I said 9th because I was excited about mine when I wrote this. I agree that a 24mm would be a little to much but I figured and adjustable one that would be 24mm stiff setting and 22soft.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So adjustable is basically how stiff the bar is but the sizing of it doesn't alter.

None the lest you still had some good suggestion in your post!

Have you looked at any parts for yours yet?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So adjustable is basically how stiff the bar is but the sizing of it doesn't alter.

None the lest you still had some good suggestion in your post!

Have you looked at any parts for yours yet?
Parts list for mine is going to be , Swift Spec R springs , 17x8 team dynamics , Type A front lip , password JDM gurney flap and Hondata flash pro. To start.

Just waiting on the sale of my Evo wheels and tires and accessport to get some mod money.

Probably gonna go with Pilot Super Sports for my car since I DD it.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went to Super Lap Battle/ Global Time Attack Finals on friday and here are some of the cars I saw including my favorite the Spoon Civic which ran a 1:48 at Buttonwillow 13cw

Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RS3 are great tires and so are the ZII...

I'm still debating on which tire to go with as also the Rivals are pretty good too.

Running street class so I won't be able to go with a full Rcomp tire yet!

Teg24 what is your brake setup? What pads are you using?

For awhile I was just using Hawk hp+ in the front, with Hawk hps in the rear with ATE Super Blue fluid. I have now switched to Hawk dtc-60 and hp+ in the rear. I have the TL-S front brembo set up, but have never installed it. Trying to sell those now, so I can run Spoon Calipers up front, or a Stop-tech BBK. Really torn with which way to go since I drive the car off the track with my Mugen Gp's, which aren't very BBK friendly. May have to part with them soon :-(
Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Teg24
For awhile I was just using Hawk hp+ in the front, with Hawk hps in the rear with ATE Super Blue fluid. I have now switched to Hawk dtc-60 and hp+ in the rear. I have the TL-S front brembo set up, but have never installed it. Trying to sell those now, so I can run Spoon Calipers up front, or a Stop-tech BBK. Really torn with which way to go since I drive the car off the track with my Mugen Gp's, which aren't very BBK friendly. May have to part with them soon :-(
Well the spoon car in my post ran a 148 at buttonwillow 13cw and it has about 460hp so I think spoon calipers are quite good lol. If you don't want to go to a larger wheel.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you looked at spacers?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97emsedan
Have you looked at spacers?
I'm assuming that was directed to me. Yes, I actually bought a set of Ichiba bolt on 25mm spacers, which is what would be required for the Mugen's to clear the brembo's. But I'm not a big fan of running that large of a spacer. I actually sold the brake set up yesterday. So will be going with Spoon's now.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kimsey099
Well the spoon car in my post ran a 148 at buttonwillow 13cw and it has about 460hp so I think spoon calipers are quite good lol. If you don't want to go to a larger wheel.
The Spoon race car isn't running spoon calipers... look at the picture again
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Spoon race car isn't running spoon calipers... look at the picture again
they said spoon on them LOL when i was there. Maybe just a sticker lol
Old 11-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Question anybody running either the Skunk2 or Hybrid Racing chain tensioner?

Been thinking about it...
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the Hybrid Racing CMC... can't wait to get that on sometime in the next week.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Teg24
I'm assuming that was directed to me. Yes, I actually bought a set of Ichiba bolt on 25mm spacers, which is what would be required for the Mugen's to clear the brembo's. But I'm not a big fan of running that large of a spacer. I actually sold the brake set up yesterday. So will be going with Spoon's now.
I bought a set of H&R 25mm DRM spacers for the Brembos. I will continue with this course of action. I have heard that these spacers can be dangerous as they are bolted to the hub using the hub studs and then the wheel bolts to the spacer with its integral studs.

Is this dangerous only if the car is raced or is it just due to the possibility of the lugs loosening in the spacers?

I don't plan on racing the car, and rarely thrash her.

Quick Reply: Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread