Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/official-hpde-time-attack-racing-thread-3214921/)

DaveSi677 07-11-2014 10:45 AM

Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread

Hey guys,

I'm creating this thread because of I'm find information to be very limited in the Racing section of the forum for our cars.

I'm hoping this can be a good thread where we can share information regarding driving techniques, setups and any other information that can help us be faster on the track.

So I'm getting ready to dial in my suspension right now. I just ordered my front and rear camber kit as well as my rear swaybar.

This is a great starting point to how to get the best out of you car when it comes to proper alignment specs. I have gotten Chris from Redshift Motorsport permission to their guide on proper suspension setup.
Full credit goes to RedShift Motorsports for this!

Originally Posted by RedShiftChris

Street "Mild Performance"
Front Camber: -1.0°
(1 Ingalls bolt per side needed in upper hole.)
Front Toe: Factory setting
(0 total)
Rear Camber: -0.8° to -1.5°
(This range is the same as factory because not all Civic's had the same camber. Early on in the Civic's production, customers complained of too much wear on the inside edge of the rear tires; so Honda equipped some Civics with a "C" stamped upper rear control arm to reduce camber from approx -1.5 to approx -0.8. The less camber you run, the better your tire wear will be but the less grip you will have in back for extreme handling maneuvers. I would recommend -0.8 for anyone super concerned about tire wear and -1.5 if you want to retain the best rear grip at all handling levels (because that is where Honda originally set it.) Either the Ingalls rear camber adjusters or Skunk2 (or any other) replacement arms provide the adjustment necessary.
Rear Toe: 0.06° per side (a positive number is toe in)
(on the safe end of the available factory range.)

Street "Aggressive"
Front Camber: -1.4°
(1 Ingalls bolt per side needed in upper hole at max adjustment setting.)
Front Toe: 0 total
(0 toe is factory setting but also a good aggressive street spec. Or you can try a hair of toe out, but generally toe out will destroy tires fast as a daily driver.)
Rear Camber: -1.5°
(provides better rear grip for extreme handling. Either the Ingalls rear camber adjusters or Skunk2 (or any other) replacement arms provide the adjustment necessary.)
Rear Toe: 0.04° per side (a positive number is toe in)
(on the more aggressive end of the available factory range.)

Race (Autocross or Track)
Front Camber: -2.0° or more
(2 Ingalls bolts per side needed at max adjustment setting provides a hair over -2.0°. Some super fast people are running over -3° with camber plates on coilovers. The ASR camber plates by themselves provide only up to -2.5° camber because more is not possible without notching the ~4" hole at the upper strut mounting position...and this is not a legal mod for most race classes. To get more than -2.5°, you must use a combination of camber plates and camber bolts.)
Front Toe: -0.16° to -0.32° toe per side (a negative number is toe out)
(This will make the car wander when going straight but will drastically improve cornering.... the range -0.16° to -0.32° equals 1/16-1/8" toe out for those doing toe settings manually. Best place to start is -0.16° if you are not sure. Toe out will chew up the inside edge of the front tires on a daily driver; so this is a race-only setting.)
Rear Camber: -2.0 or more
(more rear camber provides more consistent grip in back through the run/lap so you can attack the run all the way to the end without loosing the rear end. Either the Ingalls rear camber adjusters or Skunk2 (or any other) replacement arms provide the adjustment necessary.)
Rear Toe: 0.04° toe per side (a positive number is toe in)
(or 0 if you can handle it.... but you definitely want to start with 0.04° toe in because 0 toe or toe out in back can creep up and bite you hard if you are not ready for it.)

Here is the link if you want to get more technical details about suspension setup and how other parts affect handling of the car:

http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com/R...20Packages.htm

DaveSi677 07-12-2014 11:24 AM

Re: Official HPDE/Time Attack/Racing Thread

Ordered the Progress 22mm rear sway bar with new end links.
This should make a huge difference in the way the car handles.

I decided to go with the 22mm over the 24mm as I also daily my car and felt that the 24mm might of been a little to much. The 24mm is recommended for track dedicated car and not for street use as it can cause you to spin out.

DaveSi677 07-20-2014 07:34 PM

Is anybody running a baffled oil pan and if so which one?

DaveSi677 07-21-2014 09:20 PM

Just signed up for August 3rd at Shannonville!

Hoddini 07-25-2014 06:22 PM

Hey I was just wondering can I put a j35 vtech into my 2013 honda civic ex coupe?? Please need advice can I put any v6 into it at all??

Hoddini 07-25-2014 06:24 PM

Iv j tech my bad but can I do it?

DaveSi677 07-27-2014 06:18 AM

Anything can be done... has it probably not...

but this is the racing thread... might want to make your own thread to get more answers.

DaveSi677 07-27-2014 06:19 AM

Got a fresh set of Hawk HP+ going to put them in this week before the next weekend!

DaveSi677 08-04-2014 04:51 AM

So my friend didn't hook me up with his GoPro :(

Anyways the track was 5.7 km with a lot of turns... when I mean a lot I mean a lottttt lol!

I realized I need to upgrade to SS brake lines and better brake fluid. I reached the boiling point many times and would have to take 15 minute breaks between every 5 laps (this doesn't include the in lap and the out lap so 7 total but those 2 are at slower speeds)

Got to go for a ride in a race prep ITR with a K20... HOLY SHIT WAS THAT INSANE!!!!!!!!!

Forgot my gloves in Montreal so I picked these up at the beginning of last week.

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...ge%20Large.jpg

97emsedan 08-04-2014 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSi677 (Post 49877287)
So my friend didn't hook me up with his GoPro :(

Anyways the track was 5.7 km with a lot of turns... when I mean a lot I mean a lottttt lol!

I realized I need to upgrade to SS brake lines and better brake fluid. I reached the boiling point many times and would have to take 15 minute breaks between every 5 laps (this doesn't include the in lap and the out lap so 7 total but those 2 are at slower speeds)

Got to go for a ride in a race prep ITR with a K20... HOLY SHIT WAS THAT INSANE!!!!!!!!!

Forgot my gloves in Montreal so I picked these up at the beginning of last week.

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...ge%20Large.jpg

Very nice!! Which track, Shannonville? I got to take a trip around that little course in a very well prepped street legal NSX back in the summer of 2004... It was gut-wrenching but awesome!!

DaveSi677 08-05-2014 02:20 AM

I did the full track at Shannonville... so many turns it was unbelievable! I still need to dial in my suspension to get the real best out of the car.

I'll be heading back August 24th so that should be all done before then!

NSX huh you lucky bastard!!!

97emsedan 08-05-2014 02:57 AM

Wasn't mine. The owner was a pair of deep pockets that lived around Toronto. He and his crew spent the day there ripping it up on the short course. Must have been ten cars there, mostly S2Ks and highly tuned ITRs. That bright yellow NSX was very fast...

DaveSi677 08-05-2014 08:15 AM

Ya i got a ride in a yellow ITR that was race prepped for time attack. Had K20 in it... holy shit unbelievable!

I can't to get my SS brake lines in and upgraded fluid... it will make a huge difference!

DaveSi677 08-15-2014 03:32 PM

Got may front and rear camber kit today and will be getting it installed next friday and aligned also... just in time for next Sunday track event!

DaveSi677 08-25-2014 07:46 AM

Did my alignment on Friday.

Running:
Front camber: -2.5
Front toe: 0.0
Rear camber: -2.0
Rear toe: 0.2

The car felt so much more alive! If I would of gone with -3.0 in the front for camber I would of been even faster...

Next is my brakes and braided line with fluid

97emsedan 08-25-2014 10:28 AM

Wow!! Aggressive stance! How much lower is the car from stock?

DaveSi677 08-25-2014 11:14 AM

Honestly barely a finger gap all around!

I have no rubbing issues... but it's very stiff!

junkyard racer 08-26-2014 04:27 PM

Has anyone experienced any oil starvation issues with the K24? I know it was an issue for the K20's, just wondering if it has been addressed for the K24.

I have done some searching around but am only finding info for the K20, not the 24.

vian11 08-26-2014 05:36 PM

thanks for the info bro

DaveSi677 08-27-2014 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by junkyard racer (Post 49920408)
Has anyone experienced any oil starvation issues with the K24? I know it was an issue for the K20's, just wondering if it has been addressed for the K24.

I have done some searching around but am only finding info for the K20, not the 24.

I'm not sure for the k24. I can ask a few of my friends at the track on monday they are running K20 head with k24 bottoms.

I know most of them are all running oil catch cans which helps with these issues. Also they run oil coolers too.

Both of those will be on my to do list over the winter.

Ordered some Motul RBF600 to replace the oem brake fluid. This should solve me reaching boiling point at the track.
Also steel braided lines on the way.

DaveSi677 08-27-2014 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by vian11 (Post 49920503)
thanks for the info bro

More then welcome!

junkyard racer 08-27-2014 05:51 AM

After a few more reads, the general consensus says unless R comps are used, 1/2 qt oil over seems to be the way to go. A baffled oil pan still isn't a bad idea though.

DaveSi677 08-27-2014 12:48 PM

baffled oil pan would be a great addition for sure!

DaveSi677 08-28-2014 05:00 AM

I'm looking at adding an oil temp gauge and oil pressure gauge just to be able to monitor what is going on.

junkyard racer 08-28-2014 11:07 AM

I'm also looking at that. I wish I could find a semi-wireless system. PLX has a gauge that is pretty sweet, but doesn't monitor oil temp or pressure.