Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Need help with my 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Need help with my 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan

About 2 months ago my 2014 civic Lx sedan started to develop vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel .also the ride was very rough.you could feel every bump on the road and was real bad on the freeway. Also the car felt like it was drunk on the freeway as in it would sway left to right for no reason as if it was getting hit by big gusts of wind to the point where it was very unsafe to drive

I took it to a tire shop to see if my tires were off balance or no good. The shop checked and found out that one rim was slightly bent causing the tire to not be perfectly circular so i had the rim replaced bought 4 brand new tires had them balanced but the problem was still there.

I then took it to honda told them about the problem and so then i got the car an alignment and had them check all of the suspension components . I was told that the suspension was good nothing bent nothing leaking. I left other than the car driving straight problem was still there no improvements i than went back to honda and had a technician do a test drive and he couldn't find an issue after i told him all the issues i have been having with it so they sent me home but the problem kept getting worse so i took it back to honda for another test drive the technician said the same thing that there was nothing wrong or at least he could not feel anything wrong. So now i was getting super annoyed.

After countless hours of googling i read that certain parts on the axle or transmission can cause vibration so i brought it back and said check the axles and the transmission and fluids . Transmission was good but they than told me both axles were bent . How the hell does the axles get bent on a car with less than 80000 miles. So they replaced both axles and car was fine or so i thought.

Less than a week later i was driving and it felt like the vehicle had a flat and on the freeway it was all over the road . It was so dangerous that i pulled over at the gas station looked at everything i could to see if something had been bent broken or missing. I moved part of the plastic under the front bumper and a huge bolt was just dangling there the bold was i believe a 19mm by 7 or 8 inches . I found out where the bolt came from but was unable to determine what it was to . I come to find out that it was my subframe bolt and there was little holding my front left suspension together and that if it had snapped could have very very bad. After replacing the bolt car ran fine for a day now its starting to do the same thing sway on freeway really rough driving now i don't know what else to do I've already spent over a$1000 thats what honda care wouldn't cover
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with my 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan

The bolt must have stretched or deformed the mount hole and will not continue to stay fixed. I would check all four sub-frame attachment points to see if there are loose bolts there as well, and then see what can be done to replace the subframe.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:33 PM
Trial User

Ive had 2 honda dealership check all bolts suspension and steering componets and ive been told dverything is tight snd nothing damaged but to me the car feels drunk on the freeway and the rough ride is coming back at this point im not sure what else to replace without them charging me and the shitty part is ive never missed and maintenance on this vehicle. And only reason some things were checked because i did the researched snd told honda to fix it i was not told at anytime to replace anything on the vehicle ehich is a bit stressfull
Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nick porretta
Ive had 2 honda dealership check all bolts suspension and steering componets and ive been told dverything is tight snd nothing damaged but to me the car feels drunk on the freeway and the rough ride is coming back at this point im not sure what else to replace without them charging me and the shitty part is ive never missed and maintenance on this vehicle. And only reason some things were checked because i did the researched snd told honda to fix it i was not told at anytime to replace anything on the vehicle ehich is a bit stressfull
most major metropolitan areas have a shop that specializes in special frame alignment issues, you should try to find one
Old 12-16-2017, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can understand your anxiety. A question for you. Have you had the technicians take the car out for a trip in the freeway with you to verify the motions and swaying you are experiencing? It is one thing to do a visual check and a quick torque of the bolts, but to actually run the car up to freeway speeds is another entirely.

I would have the shop take the car out and see if they can feel what you do, it might open their eyes.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Need help with my 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan

I have taken in 2 times and had 2 different techs tell me nothing was wrong than on the third test drive thats when they finally found the issue which was the bent axles and than like a week later is when i found the bolt now i think because of that bolt being loose has caused more damage to the motor and or transmission
Old 12-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have taken in 2 times and had 2 different techs tell me nothing was wrong than on the third test drive thats when they finally found the issue which was the bent axles and than like a week later is when i found the bolt now i think because of that bolt being loose has caused more damage to the motor and or transmission
The engine and transmission wouldn't be the first place I would look for a vibration like that. The place I would look will be at the suspension components, particularly the control arms and the steering knuckle with its bearings. A vibration such as that would tell me the suspension components are worn and or wearing out, and the knuckle bearing might also be on the outs.

The suspension system is very sensitive to bending and warping due to bad alignment or sub frame damage. If the shops have said that the suspension is cleared of faults, I would want to see the car in the air with them showing me what they tested and measured. You don't just say all is tickedey-doo when a subframe mounting bolt is hanging by threads with noticeable movement in the assembly. I would want a sure look and feel for myself.