Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Looking for advice: going to start moding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice: going to start modding.

I'm relatively new here, but Ive been lurking and just reading for a while. I attempted to use the search feature for my question but got an error when trying to search, so no luck there.

I have a Allibaster Silver 06 Civic EX Coupe. It's an automatic (bring on the jabs, i know manual > auto). If you want to know why, then ask... otherwise I wont bore you with the trivial details.

Anyways, I'm looking to start working on my car, learning as I go about everything. I'm planning to put about $3,000 worth of work into the car over the next year.

I know a few llittle things but for the sake of avoiding confusion, assume that I know nothing... and if something I say doesnt make sense... just tell me.

One of the first mods I'm looking to make is getting a Short-Ram Intake. I dont want to go Cold-Air because where I live and travel there are often relatively deep puddles from time to time and I dont want to have to worry about that.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best short-ram intake for my car would be.

Thanks in advance.

Modified by PhalanX at 7:43 AM 8/1/2007
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (PhalanX)

K&N or weapon r make short rams for the r18. You could prob pick up a used si exhaust pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HFP body kit, HFP springs, wheels, window tint, FG*Squad sticker.

Then drive it and make payments.

Modified by Shiftyshadee at 11:03 AM 8/1/2007
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (pampass_pmw)

Intake was first, then exhaust is second on my list of mods.

I had looked at the K&N Intake kit but was hoping for more options as one person I spoke with felt like I might be just paying more for the K&N name and could find a equal or better intake for cheaper. The K&N is roughly 250 depending on where I would order it from. I'll look into the Weapon R intake you mentioned.

Now, you referenced 'R18'... is that a model number of sorts to describe the engine that I have?

Will the Si exhaust will fit properly on my car? If you suggested it, then I would assume so. This would probably be the route I would take seeing as I want to try to avoid a super-loud car. I realize that for my goal, I may have to sacrifice the quietness of my current setup.

My end goal is to end up with a bit of a quicker car when accelerating. It generally feels sluggish, when accelerating, to me even from the day I bought it. This could be due to the fact that I went from a '96 Maxima to this car. The maxima had a much bigger engine and was much quicker 'off the line'.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shiftyshadee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HFP body kit, HFP springs, wheels, window tint, neuspeed S/S, FG*Squad sticker.

Then drive it and make payments. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ive seen the 'HPF' abbrevation quite a few times, even at the dealor. Does that stand for 'Honda Factory Performance'? If so, Im pretty sure I can find the info/pricing on those @ the dealor.

But Im rather intrigued by your last statement... 'Then drive it and make payments'... I feel like that something thats just flying over my head that is a typical saying from experienced honda-techies.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

R18A1 is the engine code for your civic.

If you want to "feel" quicker off the line, get an intake.

Only SI muffler will fit the R18. Not the full exhaust system.

HFP does stand for honda factory performance.

Drive it and make payments is exactly what I mean. The R18 (I drive an LX) is never going to have huge HP gains (unless you get the AJP turbo). IMO make it look nice, and drive it.

In the end it's your car and you should do whatever you like. I'm just posting my opinions.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

link to see the weapon r.^^^^

And remember you will also get alot of opinions on here. Just like mine.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (Shiftyshadee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shiftyshadee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">R18A1 is the engine code for your civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll definately commit that to my memory bank for future refernece. Thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to "feel" quicker off the line, get an intake. The R18 (I drive an LX) is never going to have huge HP gains (unless you get the AJP turbo). </TD></TR></TABLE>
Besides the intake, are there any other smaller mods that might improve performance a tad bit? Ive been talking with another guy who I know visits these forums, but I dont know if he posts... and he had mentioned that HP wise, there isnt a ton to do with my car. But thats fine with me. Im not really going to be racing it, just driving.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only SI muffler will fit the R18. Not the full exhaust system.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Besides the sportier 'look' of the Si muffler, would I gain anything by picking one up?

Do you feel that getting and aftermarket exhaust is even worth my time/money to acheive what Im going for? I assume, as usual, its another one of those personal preference type things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HFP does stand for honda factory performance.

Drive it and make payments is exactly what I mean. IMO make it look nice, and drive it.

In the end it's your car and you should do whatever you like. I'm just posting my opinions. </TD></TR></TABLE>
*fires up google to look up HPF*

I'll probably try and get a little more performance out of my EX then work on the style a bit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pampass_pmw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

link to see the weapon r.^^^^

And remember you will also get alot of opinions on here. Just like mine. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks! Opinions are exactly what Im loking for, that way I can go look at some different things and make my own decisions. So I definately appreciate it.

Ive seen the 'Fg*Squad #' stuff around here quite a bit. Im going to go search around and see if I can see what thats all about... if you have a link handy then feel free to post it. But im sure ill find something when i go look.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the link for FG*Squad --&gt; https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1745939

There are small gains from using the SI exhaust. The HFP sport exhaust for the SI looks nicer on the R18 than the stock exhaust IMO.

Also check out

http://www.corsportusa.com

and

http://www.showstoppersusa.com

I would advise trying to stay away from E-Bay, but then again thats my opinion.

Anyways...... Have fun, listen and learn, be smart, and enjoy your your car.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM

This is not the first time this has come up obviously, I have without any real success been able to find anything other than a couple of intakes, mostly CAI, for the R18. The exhaust is another tricky thing. I asked about the HFP vs. the stock SI muffler and was informed that it is not any better only an audible change. It does look nice but for a little bit more you can go after market.

I think if I where in you shoes I would buy a short ram, SI muffler, lighter rim and tire combo, and sink the rest of the money in visuals. IMO
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (pampass_pmw)

@ Shifty: Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them when I get home form work this evening. I'll be positng my pic up in the FG Squad threead hopefully tonight.

@ Pampass: I have a feeling that if I go aftermarket on the exhaust Ill end up with too loud of a car for my taste. So I may end up trying to pick up an Si or HPF muffler for a little bit of sound and better styling.

I'm looking into picking up some rims for cheap from a guy who's moving. I gotta see them before I purchase tho, just in case they are too heavy and/or dinged up.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Has anyone here ever order off of a site called "AutoAnything.com"?

They have the K&N Intake for about $40 than I can find anywhere else. Just trying to see if anyones had any experience with the site before.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmm 3,000$

heres what i would do

lowering springs

rims

tint

downpipe w/ Si axleback (only because i dislike the sound of an automatic with an exhaust)..this combo will have a nice rumble with your drive and live be able to live with every day

intake (your choise)

a nice system

some halo's

..and call it a day, i would be proud to drive a my car with the mods i've listed

just my .o2
Old 08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

autoanything.com sells K&N r18 intake for like 207 or something

by the way hey Nighthawk r18, could you install the downpipe by yourself with 2 jack stands?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (Nighthawk R18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nighthawk R18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mmm 3,000$
heres what i would do

lowering springs
rims
tint
downpipe w/ Si axleback (only because i dislike the sound of an automatic with an exhaust)..this combo will have a nice rumble with your drive and live be able to live with every day
intake (your choise)
a nice system
some halo's

..and call it a day, i would be proud to drive a my car with the mods i've listed

just my .o2</TD></TR></TABLE>
*Lowering Springs: ~$600 -- suspensions are one thing I know NOTHING about. when you say 'lowering springs'... would that be the same as buying the HFP Suspension kit?

*Rims: ~$500 w/ tires ~$1000

*Tint: No idea how much something like this costs. Ive never looked into it.

*Downpipe w/ Axleback: Again, havent looked much into it. Im thinking probably ~$400-500?

*Intake: depending on where I get it from $210-240ish (K&N Short Ram kit)

System: This would be the last thing I do. Unfortunately, I need my trunk space and Im happy with the stock system... for now.

Halos: I dont know how I feel about those... ill have ot think about it. ~$390

Those numbers are more for my own personal math. But you are correct. On the mods I will probably do (marked by *)... Those mods should all be able to be done under or close to the $3000 mark.

Thanks for the input. I just need to find a garage now where I can get all my work done and/or attempt to DIY. One of my buddies goes to a garage he knows that does stuff for 4x4s and offroading... im not sure how accepting theyd be to my Honda. lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yuning83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autoanything.com sells K&N r18 intake for like 207 or something</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, I am on their site right now actually. I was just wondering how trustworthy of a site ti was. Any input on that?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lowering springs are different from HFP. the springs are just the springs. the HFP are full coilovers which include the shocks too. comming from honda it would cost like 4 times more. my lowering springs are only 125$

for a nice set of rims, yea around 1000, but you can get some decent ones for like 200 less

tint for our cars is about 150-200 i have yet to know anyone who paid more

if you like the system thats cool, mine is okay too.

the halos though are just bulbs, i got mine for 80$ at the mall

Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nighthawk R18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lowering springs are different from HFP. the springs are just the springs. the HFP are full coilovers which include the shocks too. comming from honda it would cost like 4 times more. my lowering springs are only 125$

for a nice set of rims, yea around 1000, but you can get some decent ones for like 200 less

tint for our cars is about 150-200 i have yet to know anyone who paid more

if you like the system thats cool, mine is okay too.

the halos though are just bulbs, i got mine for 80$ at the mall

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahh, Ok... So I can just get springs thatll lower it bit and not have to replace the whole suspension. That was one thing I was unsure of.

I really like the Si rims, so Ive got my eyes peeled for a set of those to show up for cheap... if not those, then some black finished with silver machined lips. I think those looks awesome on the alabaster silver civics.

Thats right around where I expected the tints. I just need to find somewhere that would do the tints. That shouldnt be too hard though.

concerning the Halos, again... didnt know it was just the bulbs. The only place ive been able to find anything online was the whole headlamp unit for about $400 per set.

about the downpipe and axle-back... is that front axle or rear axle? and will any downpipe suffice? or are those kinds of things not good for ''mix 'n match''. Any input on what a good downpipe is and/or where to look first? google didnt turn up much useful info.

Again, thanks for all your help. this kind of open dialogue and such is helping me a lot. kinds steers me in the right direction. I really appreciate everyones help.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

about the Dp and axle back. the downpipe hooks up after the cat, and before the midpipe. its near the tranny. the axleback is for the rear. its bascially the muffler.

i only know of the megan racing DP, which is the one i have.

but once again, im showing you my exhaust set up which isnt loud at all. if you want loudness then by all means get a full exhaust from either GReddy or Tanabe or custom Magnaflow. my setup just gives it a nice lil rumble. and it sounds nicer than stock Si's
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nighthawk R18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about the Dp and axle back. the downpipe hooks up after the cat, and before the midpipe. its near the tranny. the axleback is for the rear. its bascially the muffler.

i only know of the megan racing DP, which is the one i have.

but once again, im showing you my exhaust set up which isnt loud at all. if you want loudness then by all means get a full exhaust from either GReddy or Tanabe or custom Magnaflow. my setup just gives it a nice lil rumble. and it sounds nicer than stock Si's</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats probably what I will end up doing then. I really dont want a 'loud' car. But I would definately appreciate a little extra rumble. So what you described is exactly what Im going for.

I was just looking at lowering springs. Im sure essentially it comes down to personal preference, but Im looking at the 'Eibach Pro Kit' and the 'Tien S-Tech' kits. Can you provide any input on this? From looking aorund the site, it seems that Tien is the manufacturure of choice.

Also, I cant seem to find anywhere that says approximately how much the springs lower the car.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shiftyshadee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HFP body kit, HFP springs, wheels, window tint, FG*Squad sticker.

Then drive it and make payments.

Modified by Shiftyshadee at 11:03 AM 8/1/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

this man tells the truth. i'm doing exactly that except the HFP springs
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (Tee Jay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tee Jay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this man tells the truth. i'm doing exactly that except the HFP springs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I might do the HFP kit, but Im really digging the look of this one.
http://grounddynamics.com/Temp...d=754

the only thing that sucks about that one is that my factory fog lights probably wont fit in the front bumper. so, ill have to pick up another pair... wheras, if i do the HFP kit my fog lights should still be usable.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the fog will not fit on that one, you'll have to get it custom made to fit, or get custom fogs instead of the OEM. Plus that kit if easily a 1k+ kit without the paint. If you buy cheaper ones, they don't fit perfectly.

more than half of your 3k is gone when you get it in the mail, paint it, and installs it. You'll wouldn't be able to do all that mods that you listed earlier. I'm thinking with this body kit it'll cost you anywhere around 1500-1900 to get it fit, painted and ready to rock on your car.

personally I think it looks too bulky

Modified by yuning83 at 12:07 AM 8/2/2007
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (yuning83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yuning83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the fog will not fit on that one, you'll have to get it custom made to fit, or get custom fogs instead of the OEM. Plus that kit if easily a 1k+ kit without the paint. If you buy cheaper ones, they don't fit perfectly.

more than half of your 3k is gone when you get it in the mail, paint it, and installs it. You'll wouldn't be able to do all that mods that you listed earlier. I'm thinking with this body kit it'll cost you anywhere around 1500-1900 to get it fit, painted and ready to rock on your car.

personally I think it looks too bulky

Modified by yuning83 at 12:07 AM 8/2/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, no doubt the Kit would severely cut into that budget I set earlier. If I do a kit at all then it wont be for a long time from now. I see what youre saying about it being bulky, but I rthink a lot of that has to do witht he fact that the car its shown on appears to be extremely lowered and with at least 18"s on it. Thatll make almost anything look bulky IMO.

But as I said... the kit is along ways away if i do it at all. And I really dont wanna have to buy new fog-lights... so Ill probably end up goin with the HFP kit, if anything. Itll help keep the 'factory' look moreso than the kit I linked to.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I replaced my horn today. It costed me 27 bucks including tax. I don't know if you like your horn or not, but it's a cheap mod.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice: going to start modding. (yuning83)

I never use my horn... but i may look into it since its cheap.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM

For anyone that cares, ive done a fair amount of research and made my decisions on the parts im going to buy/install. You can see the product sin my signature. I am most definately still open for suggestions/opinions based on my products.

Another mod I am considering is to get the tail lights smoked out. I'm essentially going to go for an overall silver/black look, and i think smoked tailights (and maybe clearer headlights) would add to that quite nicely.

Anyone have any input for the smoked taillights/clear headlights? where to buy/what to buy/etc?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice: going to start moding.