Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

location of passenger airbag sensor

Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of passenger airbag sensor

i cracked my passenger airbag senson a while back after hitting the curb. haven't replaced it yet and was wondering the location of it. already bought the part from honda and don't trust them to install.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (jurasitol69)

no sure whether you want to replace the weight sensor or the OPDS sensor. Replacing either one im pretty sure will require the SRS system being initialized with the Honda scantool.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (jurasitol69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jurasitol69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cracked my passenger airbag senson a while back after hitting the curb. haven't replaced it yet and was wondering the location of it. already bought the part from honda and don't trust them to install.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't "trust" them to install it yet you have no CLUE where it even goes....!?!

Replacing/reparing/removing ANYTHING related to the SRS should be left to the dealer IMO... not to mention:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> will require the SRS system being initialized with the Honda scantool.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (TRE_)

thanks for the photo and advice. and the only reason i dont trust honda i because they misdiagnosised a major engine problem a while back. as far as the SRS system, i had no clue. thats why im inquiring. This is my 1st si and my friend doesn't know too much about k series motors; mainly b series.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (TRE_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replacing either one im pretty sure will require the SRS system being initialized with the Honda scantool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you please elaborate on this?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (mkazm83)

There are small variences from one sensor assembly to another. These are even greater when considering such things as seatback cover on vehicle and exact positioning of the sensor to the frame assembly etc. Whenever you replace the OPDS unit or sensors you'll need to reintialize them to each other.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (rsvmille)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are small variences from one sensor assembly to another. These are even greater when considering such things as seatback cover on vehicle and exact positioning of the sensor to the frame assembly etc. Whenever you replace the OPDS unit or sensors you'll need to reintialize them to each other.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm, sounds like a PITA. Any idea how much it costs? Is there a way it can be done DIY?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mkazm83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmm, sounds like a PITA. Any idea how much it costs? Is there a way it can be done DIY?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the new part has already been replaced it is a fairly simple procedure that just needs the Honda scantool. I'd be ready to pay an hour labor for the dealer to do it for ya. Might be able to talk them down to .5 hour labor. I dont know of any DIY methods at the moment, but I'll look into it.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: location of passenger airbag sensor (rsvmille)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If the new part has already been replaced it is a fairly simple procedure that just needs the Honda scantool. I'd be ready to pay an hour labor for the dealer to do it for ya. Might be able to talk them down to .5 hour labor. I dont know of any DIY methods at the moment, but I'll look into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks.

Any other info you could shed on me about replacing airbags in the Si? I'm going to be replacing all of them. Tips/tricks?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If all you're doing is replacing the airbags themselves, shouldnt need to reinitialize or recalibrate anything. Airbag replacement is pretty straight foward. Just make sure key is off when air bag is disconnected and not turned on until new air bag is connected. Manual always says to disconnect negative batter cable but never had to before but might be a good idea. I just hate finding customer radio codes. If you need some pics or instructions i suppose i can email some pics from the online service manual. Let me know.