Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gear (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/kraftwerks-supercharger-hondata-tune-car-bucks-5k-rpms-1st-2nd-gear-3332473/)

kingRAZrock 01-10-2019 03:25 PM

Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gear

My car bucks at 5K+ RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. Third through six pulls hard with no problems in the same range. My 2006 civic SI has been dyno tuned at 430.9 HP to wheels. It's almost as if a rev limiter has been applied to the tune. Not certain what the problem is. Please help! I just had the top of the engine rebuilt due to failure and was ass raped by a mechanic. The starter motor, knock sensor, camshaft solenoid adjuster was also replaced recently.

Current mods are as follows:
• Kraftwerks Supercharger Kit
• Hondata Flash Pro Engine Management System
• Hondata Thermal Heatshield Intake Gasket
• Brian Crower Stage 2 Camshafts N/A / F/I
• Brian Crower Dual Springs, Steel Retainers, Steel Seats
• Brian Crower Keeper Locks
• Drag Cartel Variable Exhaust Cam Gear
• Full Race Exhaust
• Skunk 2 Alpha Race Header
• Port & Polished Cylinder Head
• Skunk 2 Type R Shift Nob
• Redline Black Perforated Leather Shift Boot, Double White Racing
Stitching
• GrillCraft Front & Lower Grill
• M3 Style Mirrors with LED Lighting
• Koni Yellow Suspension
• Spec R Springs
• SPC Front Camber Bolts
• SPC Rear Camber Arms
• Progress 24 mm Rear Sway Bar
• HFP Short Throw Shifter
• HFP Body Kit
• HFP 18 Inch Rims
• General G-Max 215 40 ZR 18 89 W Tires
• EBC Performance Brake System Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors
• EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Premium Street, Performance + Race
• Calhoun Red Powder Coated Front & Rear Calipers
• After Market Pioneer Navigation, CD/DVD Player, Radio, I-Pod
• JL Audio Speakers, Tweeters, JL Audio 12 Inch Sub Woofers, 2 JL Audio
Amplifiers, Power Pack

The tune on the motor was completed by JK Motorsports in Milford, Ct by Jerry. I upgraded from a DC Sports short header to Skunk 2 Alpha Series and replaced a 2.5" Vibrant with a 3" Full Race exhaust. Shortly after the install, the engine failed as the timing tensioner blew apart and damaged the valves. I had the top of the engine completely rebuilt and tuned. The check engine light came on in the first 30 miles and produced the following codes: PO133 - 02 Senser Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1, PO420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 and P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1. He must have forgotten to tune out the catalytic converter and fuel timing was off causing the car to run lean. Once the check engine light came on I didn't drive it over 5000 RPMS in any gear. I brought it back to him three days later and he reconfigured the fuel mixture and tuned out the cat.

The car jerks and or bucks in 1st and 2nd gear at 5000 RPMS but when you mash on it zips through both 1st and 2nd gear skipping from 5000 to redline immediately. Do you think it may have something to do with the tune? I really don't want to go back to this guy in Milford and am considering Evans Tuning in PA. If the problem isn't with the tune a retune would be a waste of time and money. What are your thoughts?

Hooked up an OBD reader this morning and there is a stored code P2A00 - 02 Sensor Circuit Range Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1. The check engine light did not come on. Does anyone have any thoughts on my looming problems with this vehicle? Is the tune the issue based on your experiences or the 02 sensors? If I change the 02 sensors do you believe the jerking and bucking will stop in 1st and 2nd gear after 5,000 RPMS? The Kraftwerk's belt is also starting to fray and have ordered a replacement. Going to bring it to a local mechanic to have it swapped out and troubleshoot the code. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get the car running right. Please help!

I brought the car in today and will keep you posted.

The upstream 02 sensors were swapped out and the problem still remains.

TomCat39 01-12-2019 08:07 AM

Re: Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gea

Originally Posted by kingRAZrock (Post 51828024)
Current mods are as follows:

• Brian Crower Stage 2 Camshafts N/A / F/I
• Brian Crower Dual Springs, Steel Retainers, Steel Seats
• Brian Crower Keeper Locks
The tune on the motor was completed by JK Motorsports in Milford, Ct by Jerry. I upgraded from a DC Sports short header to Skunk 2 Alpha Series and replaced a 2.5" Vibrant with a 3" Full Race exhaust. Shortly after the install, the engine failed as the timing tensioner blew apart and damaged the valves.

Couple of details I can comment on.

Due to the Stage 2 cams and the stiffer valve springs, you can't just use OEM timing chain tensioner. You need to upgrade to the Hybrid Racing timing chain tensioner. If you put another OEM unit in, you are going to blow the engine again as the tensioner is going to fail again.

https://www.hybrid-racing.com/collec...series-engines

The other part needing clarity, did you get the tune done before or after you changed to the Skunk 2 Alpha intake manifold?

If you got it tuned with the super charger on the DC sports header and the Vibrant exhaust, then swapped out these components to the Skunk 2 Alpha header and the Skunk 2 Megapower 70mm (3") exhaust, you will need a full retune done and is quite likely the running issues you are experiencing.

Tunes are equipment specific and have to be redone anytime you change equipment (mods) on the engine. Exception being things like timing chain tensioner. But if the mod changes air flow or exhaust or the pumping ability (camshafts, pistons, rods, etc) of the engine, the old tune is no longer a "tune".

JRCivic1 01-12-2019 08:46 PM

Re: Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gea

TomCat39, the Skunk2 Intake manifold comes with the Kraftwerks C30 style Street Supercharger kit, so unless the OP actually ditched A/C and installed a C38 "Race Style Kit" (which does NOT include nor require the Skunk2 I/M), that modification would not have been done after the initial tuning. Interestingly, the claimed power level is way strong for a street kit, so it is likely that the OP is using a race kit.

OP, you need to make sure that the engine is mechanically sound before you attempt to tune it again. A trustworthy mechanic would be a good step if you are not capable of diagnosing these issues yourself.

Also, as TomCat39 asked, can you be more specific as to when specifically the car was tuned, when modifications were made, when did the engine expire and what mods were done (if any) during the repair ??? Did you re-tune it after all of this ???

kingRAZrock 01-14-2019 05:41 AM

Hello TomCat39 & JRCivic,

Thank you for responding to my post. To answer your questions, the Skunk2 Alpha Race Header and 3” Full Race Exhaust were installed, and the mechanic suggested the car was retuned at that juncture. The KW kit I am running is 06-11 Civic Si Supercharger KitPART NUMBER: 150-05-1330.

He also replaced the following parts: Starter, Knock Sensor & Adjuster. The check engine light came on after the first engine cycle. I didn’t have an OBD reader at that time and believed the catalytic converter wasn’t tuned out. I should have checked the Hondata Flashpro Diagnostics. During that time the problem from my original post was nonexistent. The engine failed within three days after receiving the car. The top of the engine was rebuilt and retuned.

The mechanic suggested he replaced the following parts: Complete Valve Job, Intake Valves, Exhaust Valves, Valve seals, Resurfaced Cylinder Head, Set Valve Lash, Replaced Timing Chains Guides and Tensioners, Intake Cam Angle Adjuster, Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Tube Seals, Valve Cover Bolt, Grommets & Spark Plugs. The timing set was replaced with part number CDK703K. Not certain if this part was a direct OEM replacement.

When I received the vehicle back and completed the engine cycle the following codes were produced: PO133 -02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1, PO420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 and P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1. At that juncture, I didn’t exceed 5K RPM’s in any gear. I brought the car back again and he tuned out the cat and corrected the air-fuel ratio causing the engine to run lean.

It was time to open her up and that’s when I experienced the problem form my initial post. I am going to bring the car back to him today to attempt to correct the problem. I will keep in the loop and inform you of the outcome. What are your guy's thoughts? Thank you for your efforts to assist me to correct these looming issues as I want to get the car running right. It’s been a total headache! Ouch!

kingRAZrock

kingRAZrock 01-14-2019 05:41 AM

Hello TomCat39 & JRCivic,

Thank you for responding to my post. To answer your questions, the Skunk2 Alpha Race Header and 3” Full Race Exhaust were installed, and the mechanic suggested the car was retuned at that juncture. The KW kit I am running is 06-11 Civic Si Supercharger KitPART NUMBER: 150-05-1330.

He also replaced the following parts: Starter, Knock Sensor & Adjuster. The check engine light came on after the first engine cycle. I didn’t have an OBD reader at that time and believed the catalytic converter wasn’t tuned out. I should have checked the Hondata Flashpro Diagnostics. During that time the problem from my original post was nonexistent. The engine failed within three days after receiving the car. The top of the engine was rebuilt and retuned.

The mechanic suggested he replaced the following parts: Complete Valve Job, Intake Valves, Exhaust Valves, Valve seals, Resurfaced Cylinder Head, Set Valve Lash, Replaced Timing Chains Guides and Tensioners, Intake Cam Angle Adjuster, Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Tube Seals, Valve Cover Bolt, Grommets & Spark Plugs. The timing set was replaced with part number CDK703K. Not certain if this part was a direct OEM replacement.

When I received the vehicle back and completed the engine cycle the following codes were produced: PO133 -02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1, PO420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 and P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1. At that juncture, I didn’t exceed 5K RPM’s in any gear. I brought the car back again and he tuned out the cat and corrected the air fuel ratio causing the engine to run lean.

It was time to open her up and that’s when I experienced the problem form my initial post. I am going to bring the car back to him today to attempt to correct the problem. I will keep in the loop and inform you of the outcome. What are your guys thoughts? Thank you for your efforts to assist me to correct these looming issues as I want to get the car running right. It’s been a total headache! Ouch!

kingRAZrock

kingRAZrock 01-14-2019 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4527f57612.jpg
Engine Bay
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d366cc0425.jpg
Dyno Before Alpha Race Header and 3" Full Race Exhaust Install

kingRAZrock 01-15-2019 05:56 AM

Hello JRCivic1 & TomCat39,

The injector size was reduced from 900 to 800 on the Hondata Flashpro Management and the problem was rectified by my tuner Jerry at JK Motorsports in Milford, CT. The Kraftwerk's Kit runs Grams injectors 1000 and the tuner suggested they were failing. He confirmed the timing chain was an OEM replacement. The car appears to idle better now and is in perfect working condition. Not certain if I should add the hybrid racing part. What are your thoughts?

kingRAZrock

TomCat39 01-17-2019 02:52 PM

If you are still running after market cams and springs, it's only a matter of time for the OEM tensioner to fail.

The Hybrid Racing is superior in every way and can handle the stiffer springs and snapping shut of the valves.

Skunk2 offers a single ratchet design like OEM but is beefier. Other third party offerings are OEM with a stiffer spring.

Hybrid Racing is the highest quality solution from my research and would be the only one I would consider.

kingRAZrock 01-19-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TomCat39 (Post 51835228)
If you are still running after market cams and springs, it's only a matter of time for the OEM tensioner to fail.

The Hybrid Racing is superior in every way and can handle the stiffer springs and snapping shut of the valves.

Skunk2 offers a single ratchet design like OEM but is beefier. Other third party offerings are OEM with a stiffer spring.

Hybrid Racing is the highest quality solution from my research and would be the only one I would consider.

I just had a new oem chain tensioner installed during the top engine rebuild. I will look into the part you suggested. How long does would an install typically take? Thanks for your help.

TomCat39 01-20-2019 07:32 AM

I changed my own on my 07 Si. Space is a little tight with the frame rail being right there at the access panel but it wasn't hard to do or take that long. A shop could probably do it in 30 minutes easy. Took me about an hour as I don't get the convenience of a lift.