Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Injen CAI and Water Protection question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen CAI and Water Protection question?

I have a 2006 Civic Si and just purchased a Injen CAI MR Tech. It relocates the filter down by the bumper. I am freaking out about water getting through the filter and hydro-locking my engine... Injen carries a product called Hydro shield which is a screen that wraps around the filter that is water repellant but not water proof. Would this be enough or what....What do yall do or have yall done.. I live in Texas so it doesnt rain much but when it does rain...IT RAINS... Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (Pitfan04)

Don't mistake your Si for a submarine, and don't drive through standing pools of water (not puddles - need to wake up ). Yes the Hydro shield will help keep out minor splashing, but it can't keep it out the water if it's submerged.

Do you get deep standing pools of water where you drive? If so, get a SRI. If not, feel safe with a CAI and just be careful. Or hell, get a CAI and SRI and switch them out depending on the season...

It's all up to what you feel safe with man, just use your own judgement.

Modified by MonkeyConQueso at 8:30 AM 1/4/2007
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM

The hydro shield is a good idea, I have one on mine, but that's only because I'm paranoid, I got it two days ago. But bottom line, the amount of water that you need in your engine to hydro lock it, you won't get unless you're purposely running through huge pools (not puddles) of water.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (Pitfan04)

Like stated above
if your in a body of water... THAT BIG that your questioning hydrolock.

a "hydroshield" will not help

also any item that is to prevent something like that... that does give you a guarantee that it will OR any type of reimbursement for the damages that it DID NOT prevent.

to me... is a waste of money.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (Type X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to me... is a waste of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyConQueso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't mistake your Si for a submarine, and don't drive through standing pools of water (not puddles - need to wake up ). Yes the Hydro shield will help keep out minor splashing, but it can't keep it out the water if it's submerged.

Do you get deep standing pools of water where you drive? If so, get a SRI. If not, feel safe with a CAI and just be careful. Or hell, get a CAI and SRI and switch them out depending on the season...
Modified by MonkeyConQueso at 8:30 AM 1/4/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have only seen one person say that have had a true hydrolocking issue with the Injen CAI.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (Si 4 Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si 4 Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have only seen one person say that have had a true hydrolocking issue with the Injen CAI. </TD></TR></TABLE>

....Did they accidentally run into a lake?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (elklodgeezra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....Did they accidentally run into a lake?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.. No kidding. They said it was raining hard and water was all over the ground. Still no excuse for it to happen. I think he wasn't telling the whole story of their actions.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Sho' nuff.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (Si 4 Life)

I live in Dallas as well and it's already rained hard a few times since I put the CAI on early last month. As mentioned already, as long as you stay away from giant pools of standing water, you'll be fine. Admitingly, I still do get a little nervous about it when it's pouring down rain.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (skiddy)

well my car stalled out a couple times when it was raining before i got my hydroshield, but ever since I put the Hydroshield no problems. I recommend the hydroshield for CAI's
Old 01-04-2007, 08:08 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (SickSpd06Si)

Im probably gonna switch to Fujita SRI. Im startin school full time in a couple weeks and it's a 20min. drive one-way. Don't wanna take any chances in gettin caught in a downpoor. He's right, when it rains down here IT REALLY RAINS.

Plus i dont wanna have to deal with the hassle of takin off the bumper everytime the filter needs to be changed
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (RICO_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICO_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plus i dont wanna have to deal with the hassle of takin off the bumper everytime the filter needs to be changed
</TD></TR></TABLE>

At least it's not as bad as my old '94 Camaro Z28. That was a PITA to replace. The bumper for our Hondas are sooooo much easier.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: Injen CAI and Water Protection question? (MonkeyConQueso)

True. But it's still time-consuming
Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM

hydro-shield FTW!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys for the replies... I went ahead and ordered a hydro shield. Yall have made my nerves calm. Now, I cant wait to install the CAI.. What gains am I going to see if everything else is stock on the car. Also, are there Throttle Body Spacers for these cars yet??? I cant find them.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (Pitfan04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pitfan04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys for the replies... I went ahead and ordered a hydro shield. Yall have made my nerves calm. Now, I cant wait to install the CAI.. What gains am I going to see if everything else is stock on the car. Also, are there Throttle Body Spacers for these cars yet??? I cant find them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll see more mid-range power gains than top end, but you'll definitely notice the difference.

http://www.nopionline.com/nopi...Civic

Enjoy!