Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

how much $$$ for new discs/brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 how much $$$ for new discs/brake pads?

I'm curious about how much have you paid or are willing to pay for new front discs n brake pads.

See I am about to get new parts for my '06 Si and because of my budget I didnt bother asking the dealer for a quote. I dont go cheap when it comes to maintenance for my ride but I dont go throwing money away if I can get a better deal somewhere else I will look. This took me to getting a quote from the guys at my local Mavis who told me they could do the job for around $420 before tax (honda parts). Going from that price I can imagine that the dealer would ask for $600+ to do the same job. Now $420 would sound like a better deal but I still felt like I could get a better price somewhere else so I tracked down a mechanic I know and has done work on my car before (guess I trust him a little more) and asked him for a quote do the same job (front discs n brake pads in case you didnt read from the top). Almost an hour later after finding the parts (I believe he has a hook up from the honda dealer in my area) he tells me he can do it for $315 including labor n honda parts. I asked if they were new parts n he assured me that they are (i plan to check that they come out of a box of course).

Does $315.00 for parts and labor sound too good to be true? I thought honda parts were more expensive or maybe i've been listening to the wrong people.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much $$$ for new discs/brake pads?

Dealership my area:
Cut 2 rotors and replacing honda pads = ~$390
Replacing 2 rotors and replacing pads = ~$590

Local shops will be cheaper with cheap parts used
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
0861 OORAH!!!

If he has worked on your car, I would say go for it. If you know he does good work I'd go with him.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: how much $$$ for new discs/brake pads?

HNDA_4SHOOR thanks for sharing the numbers
Cut 2 rotors and replacing honda pads = ~$390
Replacing 2 rotors and replacing pads = ~$590
The replacement price sounds pretty close to what I had imagined.

Lude-Conduct The issue is not his work I have no complains about the work he did before but after comparing the numbers
-dealer ~$600
-Mavis ~$440 (after tax)
-mechanic $315
doesnt the $315 sound too good to be true considering that he would be using honda parts? or is it actually possible for mechanics to get dealership parts at a pretty low price and charge a modest labor price resulting in the total price being half of what the dealership would charge?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM
0861 OORAH!!!

Maybe they fell of the back of a truck? Maybe buy parts yourself and pay his labor costs if unsure. If he will use OEM and shows OEM I wouldn't argue. Plus. That's not that hard to do yourself either.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not hard but it wouldnt be so easy considering I lack the experience the tools the space and the time. If I had at least the time and space for the work I would do it (even if it takes me the whole day) but working an overnight shift plus getting stuck doing OT at work resulting in sleeping deprivation doesnt help. Anyway back to the car I figure I'll let the mechanic do the work this morning after checking the parts are oem and new of course, but if they arent I will take my business some place else.

Thanks for the input, I will post later with the results.

Semper Fi
Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changing pads and rotors is not rocket science, it is a very easy straight forward job.

A decent mechanic can do a pad and rotor swap in under an hour, a person doing it at home might take him a little longer.

Honda parts are no different than the parts that come from your local auto parts store in fact I would bet most of there parts are from the local parts wholesalers .

If you want a set of new honda pads that has 300 miles on them I have a set I took off my new 07 civic shortly after I bought it. Pay sipping and they are yours.

Don't throw away your money on honda parts, most auto parts store have 2 grades of rotors the cheap rotors run 35 and the better ones are about 60, for a civic.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
0861 OORAH!!!

Originally Posted by SiDevildog
It's not hard but it wouldnt be so easy considering I lack the experience the tools the space and the time. If I had at least the time and space for the work I would do it (even if it takes me the whole day) but working an overnight shift plus getting stuck doing OT at work resulting in sleeping deprivation doesnt help. Anyway back to the car I figure I'll let the mechanic do the work this morning after checking the parts are oem and new of course, but if they arent I will take my business some place else.

Thanks for the input, I will post later with the results.

Semper Fi
If you're a Marine like your name suggests and you have access to a base close to you, most bases have an auto workshop where you can work on your car and rent about all the tools you need for free. If not then go with that mechanic.

Yut!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bee guz
Changing pads and rotors is not rocket science, it is a very easy straight forward job.

A decent mechanic can do a pad and rotor swap in under an hour, a person doing it at home might take him a little longer.

Honda parts are no different than the parts that come from your local auto parts store in fact I would bet most of there parts are from the local parts wholesalers .

If you want a set of new honda pads that has 300 miles on them I have a set I took off my new 07 civic shortly after I bought it. Pay sipping and they are yours.

Don't throw away your money on honda parts, most auto parts store have 2 grades of rotors the cheap rotors run 35 and the better ones are about 60, for a civic.
I disagree. Don't waste your money and do it right the first time. Genuine Honda parts for Honda cars. I'd pay little more and sleep better. And I would never buy used brake pads/rotors You never know how they were used. Not just brake parts but also fluids. There's reason why Honda technicians go to Honda training. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i buy my brakes from brakelabs off ebay...about 120 -150 for 4 new rotors and 4 sets of pads.

dont waste money on honda brake parts..you dont notice a difference except more dust with honda. i think they still use semi-metallic pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-F...ht_3677wt_1396
for civic si...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It must be nice to have pockets so deep you don't care if you are getting ripped off at honda.

Pay more and get less see if I care.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bee guz
It must be nice to have pockets so deep you don't care if you are getting ripped off at honda.

Pay more and get less see if I care.
=] I don't have deep pockets. I just know where/when to use them. I guess everyone has their own experience.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After almost 1k miles of driving after getting the brakes and discs done I can say the mechanic did a great job. I checked the parts before he installed them and they were from the honda dealer (I forgot to check who made them though). The braking feels firm and no other unwanted things like noise when braking have been noticed. For $320 I can't complain.

Now I plan on doing a MTF and the spark plugs wish me luck.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Disc brakes are really easy. I buy my brakes from a national chain that offer a lifetime replacement option. I buy the best quality I can with the replacement option. When I replace them again I get the same brakes and put them on my credit card. I then change them and bring the old brakes back. They will then credit me for the price. Discs are free. I do it this way because I plan to keep my Honda(s) for a long time. I have two; a 2011 Civic and a 2001 Civic (202,000 miles).