Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

how many of you guys have had problems of your 3rd gear in your si's

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you guys have had problems of your 3rd gear in your si's

i was just curious how many people have had problems with 3rd gear on 07 si's. ive heard that it pops out and grinds sometime on people. does local dealerships usually handle this pretty well and fix it no problem my car is still under power train warranty. i just notice its a little difficult to get into 3rd sometimes and i have grinded it twice shifting to 3rd. do they usually give you the run around saying there is no problem with car car after they drive it or pretty common problem and replace 3rd gear assembly?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: how many of you guys have had problems of your 3rd gear in your si's

Yep. That's exactly what I get. A big fat f**k you! They can never duplicate it even though I noticed a big difference between an '07 Si trade in our dealership just got with 47K miles and MY '06 Si with 56K miles.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: how many of you guys have had problems of your 3rd gear in your si's

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/third-gear-issue-official-discussion-thread-3rd-grind-etc-includes-actual-tsb-honda-2275287/
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 09 SI still has intermittent 3rd gear issues, even though Honda swears it's been fixed.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, the TSB should get the fix irregardless if they can recreate it or not. It's a recall. The dealerships try to pull fast ones all the time on people.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a TSB not a recall. Hoever alot more dealerships are performing the repair.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a tsb is out there but only cover a few 1,000 cars cuz they are the only one that didn't meet honda standerds that is why we must recrate the prob cuz honda will not pay me to replace your 3rd gear just becuz you do not know how to shift and use a clutch . and just throwing parts at somthing just to make you happy gets alot of dealership in trouble just look at what happened when a certin minivan got a certin vibration when all it was just a softwear issue.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
On vacation

I've owned my '07 si for only 1k miles - bought and test drove it and then drove it for 2 weeks in 80+ degree weather with no problems...

I have a habit of rev matching, but when temperatures dipped below 60 degrees the other day- I had a 3rd gear grind- I initially wrote it off as a 'mistake' on my end even though I was aware of the documented problems with 3rd on these cars...

It happened again today- if it happens again, I'm going to take it in...

I <3 K5
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda fossil
a tsb is out there but only cover a few 1,000 cars cuz they are the only one that didn't meet honda standerds that is why we must recrate the prob cuz honda will not pay me to replace your 3rd gear just becuz you do not know how to shift and use a clutch . and just throwing parts at somthing just to make you happy gets alot of dealership in trouble just look at what happened when a certin minivan got a certin vibration when all it was just a softwear issue.
do us a favor and don't share your thoughts again. thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Trial User

never had any problems with my 3rd gear
08 si 36k miles
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem, the Honda dealership i work at fixed it for me under warranty and it has never acted up since.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car has 95K on it and I just bought it, it has intermittent problems with 3rd gear.

There was an open recall on my car so I went to have it fixed and I asked about the 3rd gear problem, they said they have repaired a few and gave me an estimate on repairing the trans.

I do have stiff clutch problems also, so I asked them if they would do the 3rd gear fix and replace my clutch using my parts, they said yes.

They quoted me $1237.00 on the trans repair, I'm hearing that doing a clutch on these cars is a bitch so I may just have them do my car instead of just doing the clutch myself.

They did say most of the cost was the trans removal 10 hours labor,(in my area 700 bucks) I imagine if you pulled your trans and dropped it off you could save the labor charge.

Has anyone been able to remove one of the gen 8 transmissions without removing the sub frame if so I would give it a shot.

Well I did the clutch myself but I did not have the trans done, you can do a clutch on these just loosing the support and dropping the one side down low enough to push the trans back.

Last edited by bee guz; 10-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was working at Honda untill recently untill I decided to open my own shop, but yes as you guys stated alot of Honda dealers will give you the run around, first thing that you need to do is make sure your vin number falls into the bulletin, 2nd thing you need to do is to bring it to the dealer, and I can almost guarantee you 9 out of 10 technicians will tell you there's no problem, since they are just straight up lazy and don't feel like pulling a trans out and rebuild it, if you are lucky and happen to get a very cool service writer, he'll most likely do the job for you..but as I have heard alot of them don't want to deal with it, I personally have done probaly 20 3rd gear sets mainly because I had a Si myself and alot of my friends have it as well, and everytime a Si came in with that issue and they were lucky enough to have me work on it, I would order the parts and replace the 3rd gear, since I know that it doesn't always do it, and it does it more when it's cold out. And if your vin # does not fall under the bulletin don't worry! Have the dealer call Honda tech line, and tell them you have a civic Si that grinds ni 3rd gear and it does not fall under the vin, they'll just tell you to replace 3rd gear and as long as the dealership gets an ok from tech line all is good...I hope this is helpfull guys
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 3rd gear was tight tight, and occasionally would grind. Took it in last year about this time, the dealer told me about the service bulletin. Synchronizer had to be replaced, I was given a rental and it took 2 days to complete. Have had the car for almost a year since and no issues.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't WOO now i have a WRX though
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey this happens to me I thought it was only
Me so if I take it in they will fix it
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg-6 life
Hey this happens to me I thought it was only
Me so if I take it in they will fix it
If you are still under warranty, no problem they will fix it. If not it may be a different story. Had you previously reported it to your dealer as a problem ? If so you should still be covered.
If the dealer tells you "NO" I would still try and contact the Honda Corporate HQ in CA. You may have some luck there.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Luv2Huvr
If you are still under warranty, no problem they will fix it. If not it may be a different story. Had you previously reported it to your dealer as a problem ? If so you should still be covered.
If the dealer tells you "NO" I would still try and contact the Honda Corporate HQ in CA. You may have some luck there.
Yea it's still under warranty it's a 08 26k miles
N no I haven't report it bcuz I thought it was
My fault so yea ima hit up the dealer n tell them
That it has that 3rd gear grind
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put 28k miles on my 08 si when i had it and never had a problem
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a very slight grind going into 3rd, not constantly just once and awhile, last weekend I changed the lube to 1 qt of 140 GL-5, and 1 of 75-80 synthetic.

This helped quite a bit, this might not be so good for the cars that stay outdoors in the cold months.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda mtf the best
Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda MTF may be good or the best, but I can see no difference from the amsoil that was in there.

I can't see spending over 10 bucks a qt for something that works just as good for less, I change my trans fluid twice a year anyway.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get an amsoil tranny fluid. I got amsoil transmission fluid and it helped alot. Also, hybrid racing cable shifter bushings and base bushings helped the feel of my shifting as well. Much more solid, precise, smoother shifting.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took amsoil out of the trans, and I did put the nylon bushing in the cables.

I still think it shifts better with the 140/80 blend I have in there now.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bee guz
I took amsoil out of the trans, and I did put the nylon bushing in the cables.

I still think it shifts better with the 140/80 blend I have in there now.
what fluid did you replace it with?

Quick Reply: how many of you guys have had problems of your 3rd gear in your si's