Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Honda Civic 08 A/C compressor shut off (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/honda-civic-08-c-compressor-shut-off-3337707/)

Jake Hounshell 06-07-2019 03:01 PM

Honda Civic 08 A/C compressor shut off

My A/C will turn on at idle, but as soon as I rev the engine above 1700 rpms it shuts off and doesn’t come back on. I had the freon replaced. They assured me there were no leaks or air pockets. What are my next steps?

JRCivic1 06-07-2019 08:54 PM

Re: Honda Civic 08 A/C compressor shut off

Worn out A/C clutch or bad thermal sensor... common failures on the "K" series A/C compressors.

Jake Hounshell 06-08-2019 12:02 PM

Are are you talking about the AC Clutch Compressor Relay, or something else?

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51946859)
Worn out A/C clutch or bad thermal sensor... common failures on the "K" series A/C compressors.

Chrisfrom1986 06-08-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51946859)

Most of these cars came with the trash R18 engine, just fyi.

JRCivic1 06-08-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947042)
Most of these cars came with the trash R18 engine, just fyi.

True dat.

OP, it is not going to be something simple and cheap like an A/C relay. There is a slim possibility that your system is overcharged and your line pressures get too high off idle and thus, the system shuts down. I still think the logical problem is that the A/C compressor clutch itself is worn and slipping under load.

jokerstone 06-09-2019 06:28 PM

How much is the ac compressor clutch part?

K5^ 06-10-2019 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51947155)
True dat.

OP, it is not going to be something simple and cheap like an A/C relay. There is a slim possibility that your system is overcharged and your line pressures get too high off idle and thus, the system shuts down. I still think the logical problem is that the A/C compressor clutch itself is worn and slipping under load.

Wouldn't hurt to try replacing the relay. Simple $7 part, but I do agree it is likely the compressor clutch. Ran into the same problem recently.

Originally Posted by jokerstone (Post 51947463)
How much is the ac compressor clutch part?

Depending on what model you have:

R18 Part # 38900-RNC-Z51 approx $250
K20 Part # 38900-RRF-Z51 approx $183

(Prices courtesy of majestic honda :beer:)

Javane 07-12-2019 09:14 AM

Bad A/C Compressor?

So I have a 2008 Civic Si and here we are in summer and the A/C seems to be not working.

I have been reading forums trying to figure out what my problem could be and so far I have been unsuccessful. I was driving and turned the A/C on and it worked for a little while then it stopped and the air was warm. This happened multiple times and when I checked the a/c clutch, I realized it stopped spinning after a while. I read somewhere this morning that it could be either the relay is bad or the pressure is "too low for it to cut on." I went and bought a new relay this morning and some freon. I know you can't add freon without the clutch being engaged. I changed the relay in Advance Auto's lot and the clutch engaged for about 10 or so minutes but then while driving it cut out again. I went home and it started spinning again so I tried to add the freon. I got a little in the system but then the clutch stopped and wouldn't come back on. I tried giving it a "push" with my tire wrench and the clutch engaged for about 3 seconds before going off again.

With all this tried, what else could it be because at this point I think the whole compressor might be bad. If there is anything else I should be trying please let me know. Obviously if it is the whole compressor, I will need another.

Sorry if I placed this thread in the wrong place.

K5^ 07-19-2019 12:03 AM

Re: Bad A/C Compressor?

Originally Posted by K5^ (Post 51947531)
K20 Part # 38900-RRF-Z51 approx $183

(Prices courtesy of majestic honda :beer:)

Originally Posted by Javane (Post 51969866)
So I have a 2008 Civic Si and here we are in summer and the A/C seems to be not working.

I have been reading forums trying to figure out what my problem could be and so far I have been unsuccessful. I was driving and turned the A/C on and it worked for a little while then it stopped and the air was warm. This happened multiple times and when I checked the a/c clutch, I realized it stopped spinning after a while. I read somewhere this morning that it could be either the relay is bad or the pressure is "too low for it to cut on." I went and bought a new relay this morning and some freon. I know you can't add freon without the clutch being engaged. I changed the relay in Advance Auto's lot and the clutch engaged for about 10 or so minutes but then while driving it cut out again. I went home and it started spinning again so I tried to add the freon. I got a little in the system but then the clutch stopped and wouldn't come back on. I tried giving it a "push" with my tire wrench and the clutch engaged for about 3 seconds before going off again.

With all this tried, what else could it be because at this point I think the whole compressor might be bad. If there is anything else I should be trying please let me know. Obviously if it is the whole compressor, I will need another.

Sorry if I placed this thread in the wrong place.

Had the same thing happen to me, similar car (08 FA5). You can replace the whole compressor but the main issue I ran into was the compressor clutch. The compressor proper was still fully functional.

An obstacle you may run into is finding a shop that is only willing to replace an entire compressor/clutch assembly vs the clutch alone despite a working compressor. I was fed the whole "reliability of a complete replacement" nonsense and was quoted about 2k for the job.

Luckily though, got a buddy of mine to just replace the single part. Far cheaper and addressed the exact issue I was having. Works fine going on 2 years since the replacement.

TechAssembly 09-29-2019 09:26 AM

I know it's an old thread but Ill still give it a shot.

I had similar issues this year. After verifying EVERYTHING.. it turned out to the that **** AC Control panel. (The buttons to turn ON/OFF the heating and AC.

Got one from the scrap and voila! :D