Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Honda announces the end of production of the Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM
NO MERCY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda announces the end of production of the Civic Type R

I smell a Honda Civic Si-T in the near future. Turbo-charged honda civic. Still FWD and still a 2.0L K-series motor. Probably about 247 hp on a modest amount of boost. Will probably sell for around $29K with an available leather interior option, HID headlights, cable throttle, more hood space under the hood to work with, and front and rear independent suspension. Price would be due to the obvious upgrades as well as upgraded and stronger internal components to handle the boost.

Basically all the basic things most of would want in a modest price tag that would make more logical sense than that ridiculous Mugen Civic.

Probably won't happen, but if it does remember who you heard it first from.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICO_
I smell a Honda Civic Si-T in the near future. Turbo-charged honda civic. Still FWD and still a 2.0L K-series motor. Probably about 247 hp on a modest amount of boost. Will probably sell for around $29K with an available leather interior option, HID headlights, cable throttle, more hood space under the hood to work with, and front and rear independent suspension. Price would be due to the obvious upgrades as well as upgraded and stronger internal components to handle the boost.

Basically all the basic things most of would want in a modest price tag that would make more logical sense than that ridiculous Mugen Civic.

I think if honda was gonna do a turbo fwd they'd take it easy on developing the 4 cyl to the extent they have. You dont need an engine with the breathing capability of the k or even b/h series if your just gonna put a turbo on it anyway. It would be nice, and the rdx was interesting but I wouldn't hold my breath, at least until the k series run is over.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
this supposed manufacturing of great vehicles that appeal to a wide demographic...well, they are missing the mark. apparently the demographic isn't nearly wide enough vs. their appeal. if there is nothing for the "16 year old who wants a JDM car y0" then there too is nothing for other groups. i'm 31 and there is nothing in the honda lineup that attracts me. once my wife's si is gone, that's all she wrote for honda and my family, unless i somehow come across a mind condition 90-91 si, del sol si/vtec or 96-00 cx/dx. directly correlated to that lack of appeal is my knowledge that honda quality is middle of the road now, at best. i've had two brand new hondas in a row that suck compared to cars in their class.

it's easy to make cars that appeal to the masses, that's why everyone else does it! there is a pretty large segment of enthusiasts who like sports models and honda has always done a good job of keeping them in the family, along with the old people, moms and teen girls.

probably the most well thought out and rational thing on this thread

and im in total agreeance with you

and yes, agreeance is really a word =]
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda has forsaken its people....Honda WILL be replaced with the other H
Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

genesis coupe XD
Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben850
genesis coupe XD
Blasphemy!!! I will BAN you.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
directly correlated to that lack of appeal is my knowledge that honda quality is middle of the road now, at best. i've had two brand new hondas in a row that suck compared to cars in their class.
This is simply false and your anecdotal evidence doesn't make it any more true. Honda is currently the 2nd most reliable vehicle manufacturer behind Scion according to Consumer Reports (who use statistically significant data), which would make them the most reliable "full line" manufacturer. For comparison, Mazda (your other car) is ranked 15th and barely above average.

I agree that Honda has lost their way a bit, and this is why I probably won't get a Honda for my next car but I still don't like people trying to pass off untruths as fact. I really hope that Honda goes back to making cars for enthusiasts but if one looks at it from a cold hard profit standpoint, making appliances like Toyota is better for their bottom line.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaF1Fanatic
This is simply false and your anecdotal evidence doesn't make it any more true. Honda is currently the 2nd most reliable vehicle manufacturer behind Scion according to Consumer Reports (who use statistically significant data), which would make them the most reliable "full line" manufacturer. For comparison, Mazda (your other car) is ranked 15th and barely above average.

I agree that Honda has lost their way a bit, and this is why I probably won't get a Honda for my next car but I still don't like people trying to pass off untruths as fact. I really hope that Honda goes back to making cars for enthusiasts but if one looks at it from a cold hard profit standpoint, making appliances like Toyota is better for their bottom line.
so, because what i've seen goes against some massive polling operation, it's false? i'm not telling anyone to do anything, i'm just relaying my experiences and very qualified opinion. believe it or not, that's all i can ask.

i'd love for consumer reports to poll honda technicians who have been working on hondas for 15-20 years. see what they say about hondas now from a quality standpoint versus even 5 years ago, or 10...or 15 years ago. speaking of techs, do you remember the fear that struck down on the service departments when they started coming out with these incredibly long service intervals? well, that fizzled out rather quickly once honda started to cut corners AROUND the driveline to remain price competitive, hehe. the cars have highly engineered powerplants/drivetrains that have minimal service requirements, but the cars around them are nothing like they used to be no matter what consumer reports or the internet tells us.

and, truthfully, consumer reports can continue whatever they want, since it'll mean a higher trade-in value when my wife gets out of this si. it doesn't make a difference to me anyway because honda makes nothing that is exciting or a great performer.

the paint is soft. i detail cars of all sorts, high end concours-type detailing. and honda clear, currently, is the worst out there. no, i haven't detailed any kias or brand new entry level GMs, but within the past 3 years or so, the Si has the worst clear. it's easy to correct...which is good, since it etches if there is any foreign matter within the same zip code.

the paint has trash in it more often than any competing makes. 5 years ago you'd never have dirt in the jambs. you do now, as well as on the outside. i remember when my si was at the dealer for something (go figure), and i was walking around the showroom. there was a pilot, fit, accord and something else, a white car, in the showroom. every single one had dirt or fisheyes in the paint. oh, i know, it's anecdotal.

the fit and finish is sub-par. without addressing your typical one or two year issues that catch revisions (ie 07 mazdaspeed3 engine mount issue) i have yet to encounter an 8th gen civic where the window doesn't tap/tick when the window is anything less than a 75% of the way up. or the mysterious B pillar tap, the one that doesn't disappear no matter what you press or pull. oh, speaking of the windows...they can skip when wet. up near the A pillar, the material will pull out from the molding. i haven't been in a 2010, but every si i've been in has been like that. the wiper motors are notorious for failing, especially in climates that freeze. the sun visors...my car has had FOUR replaced. FOUR, and they get used RARELY if at all. they will just...fail and not stay in position. the sheet metal sucks. putting your hands in the engine bay, if you can fit them, is like using a sock puppet full of razor blades. how many years has the 6 speed trans been faulty, thankfully they finally admitted to it, though they are still giving people a hard time about it at certain dealerships.

listen, i love hondas. i love their motorcycles, their power equipment...just not the new cars. i didn't wake up one day and say that i'm going to hate on hondas and be a contrarian, which, apparently, i am...according to consumer reports.

i mean, i'm on a honda board making the outrageous claim that my mazda is better in pretty much every category than the comparable generation civic. i don't necessarily go with the flow, dude.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is that a horse on your avatar?

XD
Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of what you said, except for the part about Honda "making appliances like Toyota." Go drive any Honda, really any one, and then drive its Toyota counterpart. I guarantee you there will be a world of difference.

And as far as Honda "losing their way" I don't agree with that either, I think they are A) hedging their bets until the economy comes around, and B) have decided that they need to go in a greener, safer direction and have reasonably accomplished that already. They know exactly what they are doing and it's up to us as fans to decide to come along or not.

We lament the loss of the Integra, Prelude, etc, but the automotive landscape is a lot different now. People aren't demanding small, sporty coupes the same way they were...I still remember, even in like 2003, H-Ters lamenting their cars' lack of extra doors or hatches or practicality, instead beasting over STIs and EVOs and BMWs. Doesn't it look like Honda shifted their offerings accordingly? Their lineup is smaller now but I would argue that car for car, it is better.

In 2000, Honda's offerings at the $25K-and-below mark were unbeatable (Civic Si/Prelude/GS-R/ITR), and now 10 years later they still have four outstanding vehicles ranging from $20k to $40k (Civic Si/Accord V6/TSX/TL 6-6). Considering inflation I think that's pretty damn good for one full decade later.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone who is upset about this is stuck in the 90's

Honda is a company, a business, they are in the market to make profit, and that means selling large quantities of vehicles, sure maybe 10 people want a 2011 civic type r, but 100 other people for everyone one of those 10, want a sub 20k econobox civic. Where do YOU, think the R&D is gonna go? keep in mind,the profit margin honda makes on their base model civic, compared to a civic type r, is probobly only a matter of less than a thousand dollars.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx

Honda is a company, a business, they are in the market to make profit, and that means selling large quantities of vehicles, sure maybe 10 people want a 2011 civic type r, but 100 other people for everyone one of those 10, want a sub 20k econobox civic. Where do YOU, think the R&D is gonna go? keep in mind,the profit margin honda makes on their base model civic, compared to a civic type r, is probobly only a matter of less than a thousand dollars.

QFT!

Business models evolve with the economy and market trends.

Toyota put out the prius POS and started selling them like hotcakes..then Honda jumped onboard and the insight looks like the bastard offspring of a civic sedan and a 3rd gen Prius.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao ^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Rexx

you are completely underestimating the huge contingent of people who go from hondas to something else for that exact reason. how many heads on here and everywhere else have gone to turbo subaru, turbo mitsu, turbo mazda (me)? that is a huge demographic. the automotive aftermarket is a 29 billion dollar proposition brah...there are people who like the go fast aspect of cars and the tinkering involved, and selling cars for the masses with very low power ceilings is not the ticket to catch those heads. people will continue to migrate elsewhere when they want new units.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i totally agree with builthatch, honda's been pumping out ***** cars (just look at that garbage CR-Z) and not keeping up with the foundations and goodwill that they used to builed a solid reputation in the auto industry. The demographic that wants fast is huge. Why has ford come out with eco boosted taures, flex and other. The Chevy SS line up is almost all boosted. People want power, if honda wants to stop delivering, then i will be forced to go elsewhere as well. By the looks of the new line up, honda is on the loosing edge unless u want green..... and thats not for me
Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross
I agree with most of what you said, except for the part about Honda "making appliances like Toyota." Go drive any Honda, really any one, and then drive its Toyota counterpart. I guarantee you there will be a world of difference.

And as far as Honda "losing their way" I don't agree with that either, I think they are A) hedging their bets until the economy comes around, and B) have decided that they need to go in a greener, safer direction and have reasonably accomplished that already. They know exactly what they are doing and it's up to us as fans to decide to come along or not.

We lament the loss of the Integra, Prelude, etc, but the automotive landscape is a lot different now. People aren't demanding small, sporty coupes the same way they were...I still remember, even in like 2003, H-Ters lamenting their cars' lack of extra doors or hatches or practicality, instead beasting over STIs and EVOs and BMWs. Doesn't it look like Honda shifted their offerings accordingly? Their lineup is smaller now but I would argue that car for car, it is better.

In 2000, Honda's offerings at the $25K-and-below mark were unbeatable (Civic Si/Prelude/GS-R/ITR), and now 10 years later they still have four outstanding vehicles ranging from $20k to $40k (Civic Si/Accord V6/TSX/TL 6-6). Considering inflation I think that's pretty damn good for one full decade later.
Im gonna have to disagree with you. Some of honda's vehicles were held as the top dog of there respected class. For example, the civic has some serious competition now and is not even considered the best in its class now by many, with its price tag and lack of power, options, etc. the mazda, subbie, and even kia got some of the best deals. The new accord is a buick. period. nor is it the best in its class anymore, with cars like the Fusion, Legacy, and the new Sonata how can you honestly consider the Accord with its frumpy style and lack-luster interior.

im sorry you guys can argue that honda is putting there chips elsewhere, but i think in this process they are losing there fans and image. ****, honda was the first company to release the hybrid stateside and always had great fuel efficency, do the masses know that? no, hybrids, fuel efficency, Toyota. They once had a great price point, now you think Value, great price point, you get Hyundai/kia. LETS not even mention their luxury division....Honda has lost there way and i seriously see that Hyundai is Picking up where they left off...

P.s- im not saying honda should stuff turbo's in every engine bay they offer, i dont think they need that to create good cars. they just gotta re-think there formula and decision on some cars/line-up. how can you be a legit Premium brand without a V8 or some Rwd vehicles. A hybrid sports car that takes as much time to go to 60mph as a moped? The insight? or was it a Prius? Lets not mention the ZDX.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 80honda
Why all the moaning and groaning about Honda replacing a boring 4-door sedan Civic R with the much more interesting and appealing Euro Civic hatch type R.

I'd take the hatch everytime over a 4-door sedan.
Because that Euro Civic Hatch has the same type of rear suspension as my bass boat trailer (hyperbole). If I wanted a twist-beam rear suspension I would get a Chevy Cobalt SS.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that Honda has definitely left the speed junkies by the way side. The s2k gone. teg gone. rsx gone. i understand that people get these cars and then say "man, i really wish i had something else with more room." well, search craigslist for a cheap 4 door coupe and drive that when you go grocery shopping. i had quite a few problems with my si when i had it and i was thinking about picking up another one (4 door cus, yes, i want more room at times) and then i thought back to how many problems they've been having and how much of dicks the service dept can be about warranty issues. so i shall be looking into a wrx, sti, or evoVIII. Honda could easily make a car that has more room but still has more go. the only problem would be the price tag.

the comments about the mugen si and the type r... i dont know many people that are going to fork over an extra 8 grand for lip kits, rims, and a shift ****. if they had put actual mugan performance parts in it and kicked it up at least 40hp then it would have been closer to being worth it. however, it wasnt. they look nice and i'm sure you get some looks when driving it but then you also get to pay that hefty *** note when you could have gotten a brand new STi for the same price and had looks, awd, and 100 more hp. i'm a honda man and i'm sure i'll always have a honda. hell, right now i have 3 honda cars and a honda bike. if honda doesn't come up with something for the younger market then they are just gonna lose em to hyundai and scion. thats my opinion. i'm sure someone will critique it but thats my 2 cents and i just put em on the table.

as for the accords now being buicks, i would kind of agree. they need to make an "S" model or "T" and throw a supercharger or turbo on it and give it some more pep. hell, or even a 6 cylinder civic. that'd be pretty badass to have that much power in a small frame.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That suck ***. Maybe if they sold the actual Type R in the states, this wouldn't be happening. I will never give up my love for Honda, but this news makes me wanna punch the current CEO in the face.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I complained about Honda's decision's months ago and all everybody did was defend them on here. Maybe they listened to you all LOL

Honda scoffs at its supporters, and this is just another nail in the coffin for the dying Honda game. They wanna be like Toyota, producing boring cars on their way to the top. Honda-Tech and all Honda enthusiasts means diddly squat to them
Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95turbodteg
Honda could easily make a car that has more room but still has more go. the only problem would be the price tag.
They do...its called an Accord or TSX

the comments about the mugen si and the type r... i dont know many people that are going to fork over an extra 8 grand for lip kits, rims, and a shift ****. if they had put actual mugan performance parts in it and kicked it up at least 40hp then it would have been closer to being worth it.
um...except that there were a lot of people who did (just not in the states)...and of course, a Type R is much more than a body kit and a shift ****.

as for the accords now being buicks, i would kind of agree. they need to make an "S" model or "T" and throw a supercharger or turbo on it and give it some more pep. hell, or even a 6 cylinder civic.
I've never heard of a Buick with a 220hp four-cylinder engine, or an option for a 6 speed manual transmission.

And putting a 6-cylinder engine in a Civic would defeat the initial purpose of the Civic, or even Honda for that matter. And also not to mention how impractical that would be. Honda is about using technology to maximize the power output of small motors, and installing them on small light weight frames.

If you want a V6 in a small car, buy a Huyndai...I believe they have em.

Last edited by MiraiZ; 04-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by MiraiZ

If you want a V6 in a small car, buy a Huyndai...I believe they have em.
Used to. They replaced it with a turbo 4 cylinder and a freight-heavy V6. Both cars are stupid heavy and not so small anymore when u look at them up close. It's quite a mammoth body on the new Genesis Coupe....and still lacking in the handling category. Only reason why I would pick Honda over Hyundai.

Props still go out to Hyundai though. That Genesis Coupe is a pretty decent steal.

But it looks like the smaller light-weight budget performance cars with good handling are slowly starting to gain weight. Even the Civic is creeping scary close to the 3000 lb. mark.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MiraiZ
I've never heard of a Buick with a 220hp four-cylinder engine, or an option for a 6 speed manual transmission.
I am cherry picking here:

http://www.insideline.com/buick/rega...rst-drive.html
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICO_

A k20 with a turbo would be freaken sweet; it'd be just the thing to make the Si competitive against cars like the MS3 and WRX. The acceleration is really the only complaint I have about my Si. HID's would be cool too but not too important to me.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I stand corrected. But having said that, Honda achieved 220hp without a turbo.

Quick Reply: Honda announces the end of production of the Civic Type R