Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

foglight "independent" re-wiring?? *help*

Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foglight "independent" re-wiring?? *help*

just a quick inquiry to all the Si owners out there (preferably sedan owners)...

has any1 seen or heard of a way to re-wire the Honda factory OEM foglight kit to be independent of the headlights? i know the new 8thGen fog kit is wired up to a ring on the turn signal stalk & b/c of that, its almost impossible to make it work independently. can any1 prove me wrong on that?

otherwise, i hear from my techs @ work that it MIGHT be possible with a LOT of headache & thought, to wire an Accord's foglight button next to my VSA button to force it independent from the electronic signal in the turnal signal stalk.

basically in layman's terms:
i would like to be able to have full control over when i can have my fogs on as long as my parking lights at least are on. ill go thru all the possible sequences to better explain

==================================
*no click* all lights off = no control of fogs
*first click* parking lights on = control of on/off of fogs
*second click* headlights on = control of on/off of fogs
*push stalk out* high-beams on = control of on/off of fogs
*flick stalk out* high-beam flash = control of on/off of fogs

the MAIN and ONLY reason i am requesting this help is due to the fact i will have HID headlights AND HID foglights in 2 weeks approximately. & because of the characteristics of HIDs not liking to be turned on and off all the time without proper warm up and warm down, i need the fogs to be independent of whatever im doing with my headlights.

i hope that makes sense. i had my OLD RR 2001 Civic EX coupe wired in this fashion & i had HIDs heads & fogs that worked perfectly.

i am aware that the 8thGen Civic is one big *** computer & its a PITA...but just curious if there is some1 out there that knows something Honda technicians dont yet.

thanks in advance & sorry so long. i wanted to be crystal clear in my explanation.

~Joey

p.s.- in case any1 is curious... the HID kits are from HELLA manufactured & shipped from Germany & will be 9006 headlights in 6000K and H11 foglights in 6000K. both kits are obviously single beam unlike my '01 that was a bi-xenon setup.

thanks again & i hope to hear some results. :/
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...i would like to know if you can do this
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (faster Type R)

i'm trying to figure out where to put the switch for my JDM fog lights in my 07 Si..cuz i guess the O.E.M. ones have to have the kind of wiring that you dont want
Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: (ACExWASxHERE)

mines a 2dr btw...
Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 PM

sh*t...well im SURE glad im not the ONLY one pondering if its a possibility. luckily ive got 2 weeks to do the research. ultimately tho, the Honda tech. is gonna do the wiring. i HAAAAAAAATE electronics & wires & ****. the absolute DEVIL! hahaha.

hopefully some1 will poke their nose in this thread with some answers within this timeframe.

*fingersarecrossed!*
Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember a few months back someone made a thread, they rewired their fogs to work independently from the rest of the lights. I think they just ran another wire from the fuse box to the switch and out to the lights...
Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: (Demonis)

I've never actually taken apart my si yet. but to give a little insight on what I know about electrical set ups.
If you want the original fog light switch to work independently the first thing would be to find the fog light main relay (have no idea were it is, but Im sure someone here know were it is). then you need to find out which wire gets power (on the fog light relay)when you click the lever. what this is doing -its giving power to this relay only when you turn on the lights. you need to cut this wire and connect it directly to a constant 12v source i.e your battery. this will it make it independent from your main light source and you should be able to turn on the fog's without clicking the light switch. now of course I haven't try it but in theory it should work. I'm actually planning on going the same route you are going but I will be doing es300 projector for my fogs.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleeperone)

As for the control side of the relay, the power comes from a 20 amp fuse #6 on a wht/red wire(pin 5), this fuse is actually installed as part of the kit. Ground is controlled by the multiplex control unit through a blu wire (pin 3).

The power to the fogs in also on a wht/red blu wire combo so make sure you get right ones.

Just cut into the blu wire and put your switch inbetween the relay and a new ground, cutting the MICU out of the pitcure. This however will lose the foglight on display on the dash.

Hope this helps some, should be simple to do. Granted if you want a on/off light on the switch and illumination when lights are on it will be a bit more in depth. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: (rsvmille)

does anyone know where i can put the switch though? my 07 doesnt have a place for the switch, since i bought the 06 fogs. if i get the 07s, it will cost me $760 to get it done at honda and i'm not ready to spring for that...i do know though, that the 06 ones do work with the 07 Si.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 AM

i believe im going to put mine either to the left or right of my VSA traction control button. there's a space on either side of where that is mounted on my car.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (SOLO8thGenSi)

i wish mine had that...mine has the vsa next to the side mirrors switch so the foglight switch wont fit there...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 PM

bump for more information...?

ive just installed my HID heads & fogs & now i REALLY need to get this "re-wire" underway...

looking for 100% independent control of the foglights to the headlights via the stock "turn signal stalk" turn-ring.

my honda tech friend Eric has not been able to figure this out as of yet. our Interactive Honda Network has not yet released schematics on the '07 Si 4DR as it is too new still. so im just bumping the thread for those that have not seen it & hope y'all are more informed than myself & my Honda tech. friend along with the "H.I.N."

thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOLO8thGenSi)

OT but i just got hid's put in..and is it not good for it to be turned off and on all the time?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ACExWASxHERE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACExWASxHERE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know where i can put the switch though? my 07 doesnt have a place for the switch, since i bought the 06 fogs. if i get the 07s, it will cost me $760 to get it done at honda and i'm not ready to spring for that...i do know though, that the 06 ones do work with the 07 Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure different the sedan is from the coup, or the 06 from the 07, but here is what I did with my CCFL switch and Under-dash Lighting switch.

The panel these switches are installed is removable. Plus, they do not clutter up the dash.

Just an idea.